Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Best beginner bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005 | 09:03 PM
mferraguti
|
6th Gear
Default Best beginner bike

I've been getting some good advice in this forum about taking the Rider Course and what bikes to begin with. Yesterday, I was walking in my neighborhood and saw a brand spankin' new Honda (do you even mention that name in this forum??) Shadow 750 for sale, 2004. The owner has a bum knee and can't ride anymore. He bought it in December. 92 miles w/saddle bags and windscreen. He wants $5,500. Not having taken the rider course yet, I got on the seat, straightened the handle bars and it just felt like a lot of bike under me. I felt like I had to work to keep it balanced. What a freakin' wimp! Some say this is a good bike for new riders. Now I'm wondering if I should even consider a Harley. Do I start smaller until gaining confidence then go for the Harley later? Thanks.
Mike

Old 02-14-2005 | 09:20 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Default RE: Best beginner bike

I think most folks would say that if you can find a 250 or so really cheap, that is the bike to learn on. Once you get most of the skills, any bigger bike would be OK, like a Dyna or Softail. My wife learned on a Suzuki Savage and it was probably the best bike to learn on. The 650 would allow you to get to highway speeds but the bike was small enough she felt in control. Mainest thing, take the rider safety course.

Old 02-14-2005 | 09:31 PM
mferraguti
|
6th Gear

Thanks OldGeezer. I was thinking that way. I've read good things about the Suzuki GZ250 for starters, but the Harley is the goal.

Old 02-14-2005 | 09:41 PM
04883XLC
Banned

I used a GZ250 when I took my MSF course . Not a bad bike ,pretty light it has a little zip to it but not all intimidating . I'm 5'11" 225 lbs ,and I thought it did a good job as a entry level bike ,good for in town ,and light comuting. If I didn't already own a bike when I took the course I probably would of looked for a used one for a few months,

Old 02-14-2005 | 09:51 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member

If your not comfortable on it your arent gonna have any fun. Respect your gut feeling. Everybody crawls before they walk. Just my.02

Old 02-14-2005 | 09:52 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member

You'll be really suprised on how fast you pick it up, so If I was you I wouldn't spend $5,500 on a bike that you already want to trade before you have it. Not that a Shadow's not a good bike, I owned one years ago, but I would get a cheap bike that you can sell fast once you get comfortable with it.

Old 02-14-2005 | 10:40 PM
breaknbad
Road Warrior

Smaller bike would be a good choice. It all depends on what you are comfertable with. If you plan on highway driving at all i would atleast try to get a 500 cc so you wont strain it much at higher speeds. Once you get comfortable with riding it really doesnt matter how big you go. Harleys are suprisingly well balanced bikes that handle like a dream.
Once you get some experience get that harley-you will never look back. Once you ride one you wont want to ride anything else.

Take the msf course and rent a harley and you will see.

David

Old 02-14-2005 | 10:55 PM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior

It sounds like your experience is minimal, so I would recommend your choice in bikes to reflect that. Its best to get a bike that you are comfortable with as so to build good riding habits. The MS course is a must do. I would recommend possilby a dirt bike to build skills, and It doesnt hurt one much to ditch it. If you buy a street bike, I would recommend buying a good used one so that you can unload it later when and if you decide to buy a bigger bike. Good luck, and enjoy the ride.

Old 02-14-2005 | 11:17 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

I agree with the comments above. The thing I would add is this - do nothing until after you have taken the course. You will be surprised at how easy it is, and the size of the bike plays less and less of a role to you after a few miles. I'm not sure where the center of gravity is on the Shadow you looked at, but if it is high...the bike will feel heavier than another bike of the same weight and size that has a lower center of gravity.

Take the course, ride a few bikes, sit on 'em, and then decide. Putting all that money into a bike without riding it...well...that can be a crap shoot. The Harley's are bigger, but they are designed well, and there are many guys and gals of smaller stature that do very well with them.

Good Luck,

Mac

Old 02-14-2005 | 11:50 PM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member

ORIGINAL: pilot1996

I agree with the comments above. The thing I would add is this - do nothing until after you have taken the course. You will be surprised at how easy it is, and the size of the bike plays less and less of a role to you after a few miles. I'm not sure where the center of gravity is on the Shadow you looked at, but if it is high...the bike will feel heavier than another bike of the same weight and size that has a lower center of gravity.

Take the course, ride a few bikes, sit on 'em, and then decide. Putting all that money into a bike without riding it...well...that can be a crap shoot. The Harley's are bigger, but they are designed well, and there are many guys and gals of smaller stature that do very well with them.

Good Luck,

Mac
This is very sound advice. [sm=smiley20.gif]

My Heritage is easier to ride than my Shadow 1100 was... I would take the course, then make your decision. You'll be surprised how fast you'll catch on.

Ryan

Quick Reply: Best beginner bike