Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Noob from NC, thinking about buying a Harley

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 03:05 PM
Jay_Sensing
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noob from NC, thinking about buying a Harley

Hello all, names Jay and I live in NC in the Marine Corps. Originally from Dallas Tx but have lived out here since 1996.

I have been seriously considering buying a Harley for the last 5 months and was looking for some opinions from those who have been on them for a while. I have been riding since 1994 on the road and the mid 80's on dirt. Always owned crotch rockets though for street bikes. Back in July I had a daughter and it's making a lot of changes in my life and I think I am about to sell my last crotch rocket in the next month or two. I have no desire to leave two wheels though as I absolutely love riding and do it year round. I even made a valid attempt at an iron butt back in 97 (not a good idea on a GSXR) and almost made it (about 120 short) and had a great time. I just want a different type of two wheeled enjoyment now and I am serioulsy considering a Harley.

Unsure of whether to purchase new or used for one. A lot of my friends have been riding them for years and my personaly favorite is the springer softail followed closely by a well done fat boy.
Problem is, I also really like custom bikes to an extent but can't see myself joining the OCC type fanboy club even though certain ones really appeal to me. Not all out choppers but Fat Boy designed 240 tired bikes. If anyone has any suggestions on the new or used bikes (Harley) or any of the aftermarket types and who to stay away from, I would appreciate it. The aftermarket bikes that really catch my eye are from American Performance Cycle and are powered by your choice of S&S engines with 6 speeds but I know very little about any of this and I am sure with riding becoming a fad in America right now, there are a lot of less than reputable companies peddling wares that aren't worth the cash. Any insight would be appreciated as to whether I should just stick with HD and build my own or what. Thanks again.

Old 12-17-2005, 04:47 PM
Mac11
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Noob from NC, thinking about buying a Harley

Welcome Jay to the forum. So much personal perference. I would suggest finding a HD dealer that lets you ride demo's or rent one or two for a week end. I started out with a Dyna Super Glide and traded up to a Road King Classic. This is how I found out what I wanted. Main thing is find something that "fits" you not the next guy.

Hope this help a little - let me know what you purchase, can't got wrong on a Harley not matter what model unless it doesn't fit you.

Ride Safe, Ride Often and Surf a lot.

Mac (Louisiana)

[IMG]local://upfiles/6239/2D270941E2FC4116982E39BD756FF559.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-17-2005, 04:47 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Jay,

First, Welcome to the fourm. This is a great place to hang out and there are many knowledgeable people here. To try to answer your questions, I'm a bagger man as you can see below but I really like the fatboy. You can get a wide tire kit from harley or the "screamin eagle fatboy" already has the fat tire (I think a 180). New or used you can't go wrong if your careful. I can't tell you much about the custom choppers except that I too think they are really cool. I can't imagine riding one long distance but I guess it's just a matter of taste.

Let us know what you decide and good luck in your adventure of finding the bike that is right for you!

[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 12-17-2005, 05:37 PM
Jay_Sensing
5th Gear

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I just spent a good bit of time on the HD site and I really am impressed with the Softail Standard for 06 as it comes in a nice looking blue and stock with a 200 rear tire. I could throw a set of drag bars on and a decent exhaust, lower it and be set to cruise for a while just like that for less than 16k. Selling my current bike for 8k here soon so I believe I am about to grab my little girl and head up to the dealership just to check them out.

I will definately have to rent one for a week or two as soon as we get some nice weather just to see if I will even feel right on a 700 lb bike when I am used to 400ish. I have never even ridden anything other than sport bikes. Not old yet but at 28, I am starting to feel it if I am on my current ride more than 200 miles in a day so it will be enjoyable to be able to just sit back and ride.

Old 12-17-2005, 06:33 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member

<snip some>I just want a different type of two wheeled enjoyment now and I am serioulsy considering a Harley.
I'd like to help you here Jay, but, as an avid biker I've found there is one constant. No matter what bike you choose, you'll find yourself wanting the other one. My solution is to have more than one. With that said, make your first choice the one that seems to beckon you.
Welcome!from Western, NY, the Miami of the north.[sm=ts.gif]
~Happy Holidays~

Old 12-17-2005, 06:39 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome, At least your thinking is in the right place I saw mine and kept looking but it always came back to the one I ended up first falling for. Like Snarly said no matter what you get, you'll want another one. I just sat on mine, loved the way it looked and I just had that feeling that was the one.

Old 12-17-2005, 07:15 PM
springerGT
Road Master

Welcome Jay from NC. Follow your instincts. Make up your own mind, they are all nice, good luck.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5692/95DE467DBD1345528B0E913A908129EC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-17-2005, 07:52 PM
Jay_Sensing
5th Gear

Thanks guys. The more I look around though and now having seen one in person, this is definately beckoning me.

I will definately have to go back when the manager is there and work out a rental for a little while to see how I like it but the styling and price are definately right. About 3 well placed accesories and she would be perfect. After that, it would just be a blast to ride I think.

Thanks for all the pointers.

Old 12-17-2005, 08:01 PM
Redhog95
Road Captain

Welcome Jay

Old 12-17-2005, 08:17 PM
8 UP
Cruiser

HI!
This is my first post here. Keep resale in mine. A real harley will hold it's value, most custom's dont.
You can customize A harley anyway you like, lots of parts out there (just takes lots of $$$$$ any way you go).
The price of new harley's is hard to bet compared to a used one, unless you find one just the way you like it, I've never seen one that is just what you were looking for, there is always something you will want to change to make it "your bike" ($$$$$).
Starting with new stuff is gooood,(It's clean, has a warranty, and no one else has set on the seat)
Some of the new ones come with a 200mm tire.
JMO
I wish you very good LUCK
8 UP

Quick Reply: Noob from NC, thinking about buying a Harley