Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

New Member!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 07:20 PM
Casy
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member!

Well I don't have a bike yet, but this brings me to my question. I've really gotten into bikes this past year and have done alot of looking at the different styles. Today I went into the to local HDD and I saw the bike that I want. It's the 06' Screaming Eagle V-Rod, it just looks amazing. Here's my question I'm 19, I have a good job, still live with the folks so I'm saving alot of money, my truck is paid for so I have no car payment, and no student loans. I was wondering if you guys think I should go for it and get it. I've never owned a bike before, so it feelsl like it's just way to much money to spend on my first bike at this age. On the other hand it could be a good idea since I have few bills and this would be a good way to get a head start on paying it off.... Thoughts?

Old 11-25-2005, 07:46 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: New Member!

Well, without getting to far into your personal life...I guess I would ask why you're still at home (if not in college)...

As for the bike question...if this is your first ride, I would strongly recommend getting a low end bike to learn on...take the riders course, ride around and see what kind of riding you enjoy...after you've putted around on that for a while, I would say step up to the bike that you want...32K on a motorcycle is a lot of money to learn with...

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Mac

Old 11-25-2005, 07:53 PM
jdag
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm the last one to advise you against spending money...I live by the "you can't take it with you when you die" philosophy. That being said, $30k on a 1st bike, especially one with the power of the SE VRod, might be excessive. It is a lot of power to learn on. Maybe consider a VRod for nearly 1/2 the cost (and still plenty powerful). You can always upgrade in a year or 2.

Old 11-25-2005, 08:12 PM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude...buy used bike for about 1/2 that amount or less and invest the difference in your future.

Kicks

Old 11-25-2005, 10:12 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

What do you want to crash on? $30k or $4k?

Old 11-26-2005, 12:58 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

good luck with your purchase. what ever you buy ride safe, welcome from eastern nc

Old 11-26-2005, 06:17 AM
BikerInTheDesert
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pococj

What do you want to crash on? $30k or $4k?

Welcome!! Glad you found the forum, and riding will be great fun. That being said, learning is a process fraught with error, so, like Skip said... I'd hate to try to explain to the bank that I dumped $30k practicing counter-steering.

Good luck, and remember CVO puts out new bikes every year.

Old 11-26-2005, 07:21 AM
liam51
Outstanding HDF Member

Let your conscience be your guide....and of course ask Mom and Dad their advice.How do they feel about it? You are still under their roof. Perhaps used might be a wiser decision at your experience level? Welcome to the forum.

Old 11-26-2005, 01:43 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey! Here's an idea...

Take the $30k and put it as a downpayment on a house. You will love this more than the bike, especially in a few years when you've made enough money to buy exactly what you want just off the house.

Owning nice vehicles is fun, until they get old and aren't so nice. Then you want another. If you have that kind of money at 19, you will get it again in no time.

My vote goes for a nice used bike, and a good start on your future. Of course, this isn't what I did, and I regret it every day. I had to work my A** off to buy a home while making car payments and rent payments, etc...

There is lots of time in your life for having all the nice stuff.

Now, if you have piles of money or something... go for it, but be careful.

Old 11-26-2005, 03:57 PM
HarleyWife
1st Gear

I agree that you should save your money for other things....house, education, etc. Pick up a decent used bike (gasp, doesn't have to be a harley to start with!). When you are comfortable riding and can afford it, work your way up.

Quick Reply: New Member!