Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Howdy! Ignition Fuse Blowing

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2020 | 03:24 PM
steve08fxstc
|
2nd Gear
Question Howdy! Ignition Fuse Blowing

I just joined the forum today. I have a 2008 FXSTC Anniversary model. Bought it a little over a year ago. Unfortunately, I have not been able to ride it. Not that I don't want to. The ignition fuse blows immediately. I put it away for the winter, November 2019. COVID hit, I got uninspired about several things - including the bike. Something recently clicked, and I got re-inspired. So, now I am on the troubleshooting trail to fix the problem.

Maybe someone can lend a hand and share some knowledge, so I don't have to go to the dealer! I was an avionic technician and First Sergeant during my 20 year US Air Force career. I'm familiar with using a multimeter, and not afraid of digging in, so to speak. Just prior to the fuse blowing problem surfacing, the only thing I did was install those plastic wings to deflect heat from my person. They're located below and in front of the seat, and sort of over the aft cylinder. There were no wires moved or pinched when I installed them - that I could tell. My first step in the trouble shooting process was to disassemble the ignition switch, clean it, and reassemble it. Still blowing fuses.

It turns out I was not a big fan of the drag bars, so I bought a new stock looking handle bar, and left and right switch assemblies. The drag bars had internal wiring to the switches. I thought since I'm not going internal, hopefully, that would solve the problem. I'm not upset about that. I wanted to change them out anyway. Still blowing fuses.

I have a Clymer manual. I am about to have a look at the two relays. Obviously I have very little experience with HD wiring, so I'm going plug and play, looking at the cheapest stuff to replace first.

The big question...has anyone else had the same or similar problem? I would appreciate any and all assistance. Thanks for reading this loooong post.

Steve

Last edited by steve08fxstc; 11-08-2020 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Posted in the wrong area....got carried away.
Old 11-08-2020 | 03:48 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin
Veteran: Army

Welcome to the HD Forums!

This section is:

New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.
You can ask your questions or get advice in the proper sections later.

IzzoQuazzo
HD Forums Admin

Old 11-08-2020 | 03:49 PM
squirrelsnest
Seasoned HDF Member

Welcome to the forums from Virginia..............

Old 11-08-2020 | 03:50 PM
Seasoned HDF Member

Welcome from New York.

Old 11-08-2020 | 03:52 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member

Welcome to the forums from Ontario, Canada, post that one in the Mech/Tech area, more traffic there for you, good luck

Old 11-08-2020 | 04:06 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member

Welcome from Florida

Old 11-08-2020 | 04:31 PM
steve08fxstc
|
2nd Gear

Thanks. I realized that after I posted. Sorry about that.

Old 11-08-2020 | 04:49 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Welcome from Spartan Country, Michigan!
I tell a lot of new comers to the forum to get: Factory Service manual and the Parts manual. Get a three ring binder and record all your maintenance, repairs, accessories, etc. This will be a great reminder of what was done when. And great material to pass along to the new owner should you sell and upgrade. Also know how large your fuel tank is, a rough idea of your range per tank, and record your fuel usage. I have an app called Simply Auto that I record all my fuel used. I use the odometer and use the fuel gage as reference only. I reset the odometer to zero on fill ups, and I know I can safely get 200 miles on a tank on around town riding, and upwards of 230+ on trips.
Good Luck!!

Old 11-08-2020 | 05:19 PM
jblack902
Seasoned HDF Member

Welcome from Minnesota

Old 11-08-2020 | 05:35 PM
TracerBullet
Seasoned HDF Member

Welcome

Quick Reply: Howdy! Ignition Fuse Blowing