Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Front wheel spacing issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 10:18 PM
Ricke129
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheel spacing issue

Hello, I have a 1992 FLHTC. I removed the front wheel last year to have a tire mounted and wheel bearings installed. During that time I misplaced my spacer. So I ordered a new axle kit and put the wheel back on. Way too much side to side play after being torqued to spec. So I removed the wheel and had the end play double checked. Repacked the bearings and tried it again. Im still getting a lot of side to side play. Shop manual says I got everything correct. Im totally stumped. Any help appreciated. It's got the best of me.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:18 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,550 Likes on 10,758 Posts

G'day Ricke129,

welcome to HDF.

I will be your tour guide. Be sure to read the manual before posting ok mate?

Or we will have discipline you and if you don't "get it" we will need to discipline you biker style.

Now, for your orientation. Go down the hall on your left to the 1st room. No, wait. The 1st room on your right. That is where the commissary is.

Then you will see doors marked for the mortuary, skeet shooting, a room where we make fun of In-Jun bikes, and of course we have a ahh, umm, oh yeah a across the hall.

We had a BOMB MAKING room but, well, ahhhhh, 1 of the guys just didn't understand Blasting Caps very well so..... you know.

We have our own pub .

There are several places where you can familiarize your self with the .

So don't be a wall flower watching others . Get involved.

See you around mate. I am going to the commissary now.

**** ON THE SERIOUS SIDE ****

**** I AM NOT ONE TO GIVE ADVICE ON HOW HDF WORKS BUT… ****
**** AND THE FOLLOWING IS UNOFFICIAL ****

​​​​​​​You are in the “New Members Area” where you can introduce yourself and let us know what Harley Davidson bike(s) (if any) you ride/own.

If you have questions about engines, exhaust systems, audio issues, etc… then:

1) Please go to the upper corner and Roll Over “Forums”

2) Then come down to and Roll Over “Harley Davidson Tech & Mechanical Forum”

3) Then come down to the section that would be most appropriate for your question like Audio Systems, Engine Mechanical Topics, Exhaust System Topics, etc… and CLICK on the topic you have a question about.

You will find the knowledge here is EXCELLENT and these here mates are willing to help you in any way they can. ‘juss be careful. There are some “Trolls”, so I suggest just ignoring them ‘ole farts.

See you around HDF. Come often, we have a humor thread, game thread, and a LOT of other stuff.

Have A Great Day Mate,

BuzzCap7

Old 04-03-2019, 10:41 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,629 Likes on 2,734 Posts

Should have Timken roller bearings (not sealed) in a '92 if nobody changed it to sealed bearings. Besides spacers, they have shims - did you check the end play for those? Here's a video that doesn't show the shims very well, but has a decent explanation of how to do it.

He uses a dial indicator, and you can get those fairly cheap from Amazon, doesn't have to be machinist quality just to check bearing end play. Also, he says check them dry, no grease. That's important, the grease might surprise you how much it can throw the measurement off. I always keep a wheel spinning when I torque the axle nut, you don't want enough pressure on it to create any drag. If the bearings are shimmed right, I'd suspect one or more spacers (not shims) is incorrect for that bike, though my experience has been wheel and axle assemblies were the same from the '80s to around '98. I have an '89 and a '96, and the wheels and axles are interchangeable.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:44 PM
Hairy Larry
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 4,604 Likes on 3,219 Posts

Welcome from Texas. This forum is for welcoming new members so not that many people see it. Try posting your question in the forum below and I'm sure you'll get a lot of response.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-classic-models-84/

Old 04-03-2019, 10:45 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,089 Likes on 3,490 Posts

Welcome to the H-D Forums from Idaho ! ENJOY !

Old 04-03-2019, 10:46 PM
Ricke129
1st Gear

Yeah, as stated above I removed the wheel assembly and cleaned the bearings then checked the end play. Repacked the bearings and attempted it again. Its got like 1/4 inch side to side play.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:09 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

That sounds like too much to be shims, unless there aren't any in there. Been a while since I did one, but seem to remember at least one spacer had a shoulder and could be put in backwards, but I don't think the wheel would even fit between the forks if it was, still, might check that. If a spacer is wrong, the disks would probably bind in the calipers, too.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:15 PM
Ricke129
1st Gear

Its got me at a total loss. It moves so much the speedo drive disengages from the rotor. Its like I'm leaving something out but everything is there. I don't think the speedo has the dust seal on it anymore, would that cause that kind of play?

Old 04-03-2019, 11:29 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

The dust seals shouldn't make any difference, the spacers go through them, not against them. Without seeing it taken apart, assuming it's all in the right order, it sounds like you might have received at least one wrong spacer. You'll have to take it apart again, regardless, so when you do, measure the spacers' lengths and post that and the problem in the EVO Classic section of the forum, a lot of knowledgeable folks browse that and good chance one of them could help with finding the dimensions for those spacers. Or even know right away what the problem is.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:32 PM
Ricke129
1st Gear

Awesome, thanks for your help. I will do that as soon as I get some time off..lol.

Quick Reply: Front wheel spacing issue