Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

04dyna wide glide electrical headache

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018 | 10:06 AM
Scooter1962
|
2nd Gear
Default 04dyna wide glide electrical headache

I just recently purchased a used 04 wide glide from a dealership for my son once I got it home and rode it only 3 times less than 50 miles put on it then it broke down long story short all the wires from handlebar were just taped together in the frame no connectors not even soldered wires came loose and shorted out I removed wire harness out of backbone and couldn't believe how bad it all was so I guess that's why it shorted out ecm /Icm anyways replaces all wiring handlebar switches and all trying to get it back all back in back bone was impossible no matter what I tried found another way rerouted main harness behind fuse panel on left side then crossed over to right side just in front of battery and zip tied going up back bone on right side there was a location for a wire harness to go into under tank area ran wire connectors from bars to connect to main harness alot easier for any electrical repairs have anyone done this and will it cause more problems please let me know not finished yet getting tank and fenders all repainted

Old 12-13-2018 | 10:27 AM
r-bar-j
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Welcome from San Antonio, TX.

Old 12-13-2018 | 10:47 AM
Scooter1962
|
2nd Gear
Default Has anyone done this was this a big mistake

Has anyone done this on a dyna wide glide or am I looking at it causing more electrical problems I'm trying to fix this bike and give to my son for high school as a bday gift I tried running main harness thru the backbone several times and it keeps getting stuck about mid way up there has to be something stuck up in there so I have no other choice but to go up the right side of back bone has anybody done this will it work or will it cause other problems

Old 12-13-2018 | 10:58 AM
wyndnface
Extreme HDF Member

WELCOME

PS: Try posting in the electrical section

Old 12-13-2018 | 11:20 AM
BuzzCap7
Club Member

G'day mate,

welcome to HDF.

I will be your tour guide. Be sure to read the manual before posting ok mate?

Or we will have discipline you and if you don't "get it" we will need to discipline you biker style.

Now, for your orientation. Go down the hall on your left to the 1st room. No, wait. That is where Izzo interviews the gals. The 1st room on your right. That is where the commissary is.

Then you will see doors marked for the mortuary, skeet shooting, a room where we make fun of In-Jun bikes, and of course we have a ahh, umm, oh yeah a across the hall.

We had a BOMB MAKING room but, well, ahhhhh, 1 of the guys just didn't understand Blasting Caps very well so..... you know.

We have our own pub .

There are several places where you can familiarize your self with the .

So don't be a wall flower watching others . Get involved.

See you around mate. I am going to the commissary now.

**** ON THE SERIOUS SIDE ****

**** I AM NOT ONE TO GIVE ADVICE ON HOW HDF WORKS BUT… ****
**** AND THE FOLLOWING IS UNOFFICIAL ****

You are in the “New Members Area” where you can introduce yourself and let us know what Harley Davidson bike(s) (if any) you ride/own.

If you have questions about engines, exhaust systems, audio issues, etc… then:

1) Please go to the upper corner and Roll Over “Forums

2) Then come down to and Roll Over “Harley Davidson Tech & Mechanical Forum

3) Then come down to the section that would be most appropriate for your question like Audio Systems, Engine Mechanical Topics, Exhaust System Topics, etc… and CLICK on the topic you have a question about.

You will find the knowledge here is EXCELLENT and these here mates are willing to help you in any way they can. ‘juss be careful. There are some “Trolls”, so I suggest just ignoring them ‘ole farts.

See you around HDF. Come often, we have a humor thread, game thread, and a LOT of other stuff.

Have A Great Day Mate,

BuzzCap7

Old 12-13-2018 | 12:42 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Welcome from Northern California!

Old 12-13-2018 | 01:20 PM
Guitarman_sg
Road Master

Welcome to the forums from S.W. Iowa! This section of the forum is for introduction to the group. Post your question in the tech/electrical section. I'm sure the guys in there would be able to help you out.

Old 12-13-2018 | 01:31 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Welcome from Hampton Roads Virginia. Sorry to hear of your problem. Had it been a car, in VA, you could have taken it back.

Harleys are really hard to buy used since people with no mechanical ability buy them brand new and modify them.
Mostly they sit and when they are totally junk, they get rid of them.
Best bet unless you know what you are doing is junk it.
It's cheaper to buy a new one as to fix it unless you can do your own work.

I sure would not do to someone else what the dealer did to you.

Old 12-13-2018 | 01:55 PM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member

Welcome to the forum from Canada.

Old 12-13-2018 | 05:20 PM
DaveE
Ultimate HDF Member

Welcome from Pennsylvania

Quick Reply: 04dyna wide glide electrical headache