Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Is 1200 C Too Much for Me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 01:24 PM
SASSY SCORPIO
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is 1200 C Too Much for Me?

My husband and I just bought our first Harely's - his, a Softail Custom and mine a Sportster 1200 C, Vivid Black and chromed out. He's always ridden through middle and high school, so when he got on his, it was like "old home" week!

I, on the other hand, have NEVER ridden before. The first time out, I drove around the high school parking lot and didnt' do bad at all. A little scared of all the power, but fine. But the second time, this week-end, was another story. I was going to ride it from the house to the high school for more practice, got it in the driveway, down to the street, then all hell broke lose. I have no idea what happened, but I hit that throttle and away I went, over the curb, across the yard and laid it down in the street in front of the house! OMG I was SOOO embarassed...4 stitches later, I'm waiting until my motorcycle riding class before I get back on a bike again. It's next Thursday and Friday.

Tell me I'll get better!!!! My husband is determined i'm going to kill myself on it, but I really want to ride and I think this was just a beginners fluke...after the two day class, I think I'll be comfortable enough and familiar enough with the bike to be able to at LEAST get it over to the high school without killing myself, and then just ride the parking lots until I'm familiar with the bike.

Someone please tell me I'm not alone here! Like I said, my first time I did fine, the 2nd was not so fun...I'm hoping 3rd time is a charm!! : )

[IMG]local://upfiles/35706/C2CA54C4B27B42539610C7CFEC1CD1C3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/35706/44FAE436712A4D578154038B90D54322.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-26-2007, 01:38 PM
em2780
Advanced
Default RE: Is 1200 C Too Much for Me?

Since this isyour first ride what did you use to take the driving test. Most people first out take a small 350cc for the test.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:47 PM
SASSY SCORPIO
4th Gear

you mean for my motorcycle license? I have only taken the written and have my learners permit. The class next week at the collegewill fulfill the "driving" portion of the test, and there we will be using the college provided bikes, usually 250's and 350's...otherwise, I bought the bike based on discussions I'd had with several other female "bikers" and what they preferred and were comfortable with.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:52 PM
itsshemp
Cruiser

Welcome from So Cal!

First thing is DONT be affraid. Respect the power, but dont be affraid of it. Grabbing a "fist full of throttle" the first time, is not uncommon. I have taught many people to ride dirt bikes/quad's in the past, and that is the first thing they instinctivly want to do. Keep the wrist low on the throttle side. This will keep you from being able to twist too far.

Second thing... Take the class.I took the MSF calss, not because I didnt know how to ride, but I wanted to take thier test, and not the DMV's. It's a great class. There were a fewpeople that had never even SAT on a bikebefore, and by the end of the class, they passed the riding abilitytest. Yes, there, were a few that tipped it over,but hell, it wasnt thier own bike, so.... The class, I was in,supplied little light bikes. Easy to manuver.

Is a 1200 too big? NEVER! You dont always need to USE it, but it sure is nice to have it.

You WILL get better. Keep getting back in the saddle, and practice, practice, practice. Always remember to stay within your limits, and keep your eyes peeled. It will become second nature in time.

Glad you survived your little mishap. It doesn't sound like it shook your confidence too much, so GOOD Job!

Good luck, and Enjoy!

Old 06-26-2007, 02:02 PM
crampfan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you are OK, You need to go to riding school, It's bad enough out there knowing how to ride.
I bought a honda 125 for my wife to learn to ride, she stayed on the back roads until I was sure she knew where everything was with no hesitation, then got her something bigger, after a few years she figured that she had more fun behind me.
Things happen so fast, you have to know what to do NOW, unfo. that only comes exp.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:14 PM
SASSY SCORPIO
4th Gear

Thanks everyone!My husbandalready hasme in angel wings and playing a harp!
BUT - -
I'm determined I'm going to master this (it's the stubborn Scorpion in me! ; ) But I'vealready said I'm wearing my daughters ice hockey elbow and knee pads to class - it HURTS when you fall!! : )

Thank you for the encouragement! It's nice to know this is normal...

Old 06-26-2007, 02:41 PM
fatboy4ever
Cruiser

Hang in there! I am really impressed that you are willing to get back on the bike. Most people would walk away or be too afraid to try it again.With a little practice, a good instructor and appropriate protection you will do fine. The main thing is to "respect" the bike and be aware of your surroundings. It will take some time, but it is worth it in end. As my signature says, "be not afraid of going slowly, be only afraid of standing still".

Old 06-26-2007, 02:51 PM
SASSY SCORPIO
4th Gear

Thanks FB4Evr - One thing I'm not, and that's a shrinking violet! I am NOT going to let this defeat me...I WILL master this and I WILL be able to ride with the best of them....and I WILL most DEFINATELY RESPECT that bike!~

Old 06-26-2007, 03:50 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

Sassy, I'll assume you drive a car correct? Well, I bet you mastered that skill. And once you take the course, your confindense will grow each time you ride. You will master that Sporty! But take care to remember...NEVER to stop learning,,and practicing your riding skills! The course will teach you alot, but talk to hubby, and other riders, ask them what they do..then take that info and process it to you and your riding level, skill wise. Things like: Watch for gravel in turns, how painted road surfaces are slippery when wet...rain or early morning dew. Stay off the front brake when coming to a stop ifyou are traveling less than 10 MPH. Just because you have a green light, or right of way...don't think for one second some idiot won't run it. I always back off my throttle a wee bit,,cover my front brake and foot brake,,and look,,both ways before I zoom through. You on the Harley are NO MATCH for a cage, right of way or not. Others might disagree, but these things will become second nature with you, practice, practice. Have hubby ride you to the parking lot...where you can practice more. Stay with one skill at a time,,practice "smooth starts & stops only for a bit...no shifting,,just in first gear for now...easy on the throttle girl. Then incorperate shifting into second..and downshift,, back to first..along with smooth starts & stops..etc...You'll get it...

Good luck,,and keep us posted....

Old 06-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm sorry,, I forgot...WELCOME !!!!!

[sm=deal.gif]

Quick Reply: Is 1200 C Too Much for Me?