Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Hey Riders, Im new from Pa .

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016 | 06:44 PM
Start
|
1st Gear
Default Hey Riders, Im new from Pa .

New to riding looking at a Harley iron 883 as first bike .I'm 6'0 260lbs and 58 can't play ball anymore and ready for a new path getting on a bike for 3hr rides .Any thoughts ? Thanks.

Old 09-14-2016 | 07:05 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor

A big welcome to you from sunny Southern California. Glad to have you on board.

Old 09-14-2016 | 07:12 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Welcome to the forum.

Old 09-14-2016 | 07:29 PM
Mopar5599
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Welcome from Montana

Old 09-14-2016 | 07:33 PM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member

Welcome

Old 09-14-2016 | 07:43 PM
Jasber
Tourer

Welcome from Texas! Not to belittle you (no pun intended!), but I think you'll outgrow that iron pretty fast. IMO, maybe test drive a dyna street or fat bob.

I started on a 1200c sportster that I just traded for a street Bob (1690cc). I'm 5'7" and 155 lbs and wish I had gone to the bigger bike right away!

Either way, ride safe and ride on!

Old 09-14-2016 | 07:50 PM
Start
|
1st Gear

Thanks

Old 09-14-2016 | 07:54 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Welcome to the forums

As said above, you may well find that Sporty a bit cramped. Take a trip to the local dealer & sit on a few different bikes & see what fits.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 09-14-2016 | 08:02 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by start
new to riding looking at a harley iron 883 as first bike .i'm 6'0 260lbs and 58 can't play ball anymore and ready for a new path getting on a bike for 3hr rides .any thoughts ? Thanks.
1st of all welcome to the forums.

2nd you will find some really good info here and also some really bad as well so pick through responses to what you feel is right for you.

3rd, as to your question about an 883 iron....i used to run a harley dealership in florida. The most important thing vfor you is to fit the bike properly. At 6 ft and 260, an iron is way to small for you.if you want to try and fit on a dyna frame you might be ok short term. I would start my trying out the seating positions on either a deluxe or a heritage they r in the softail family, will fit your height and weight and give you a good center of gravity for a new rider. The deluxe may sit too low for you as the bike has a very low seat height. Your legs may be too long. No one can really tell you what fits you. Its all in your personal opinion,but i would not be looking at anything smaller than a softail based on height and weight. Go to your local dealer and sit on a bunch of bikes and once you get yoor m/c endorsement ride the differnt modles until you find what fits you best

Old 09-14-2016 | 08:07 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Start
New to riding looking at a Harley iron 883 as first bike .I'm 6'0 260lbs and 58 can't play ball anymore and ready for a new path getting on a bike for 3hr rides .Any thoughts ? Thanks.
as a new rider i would highly recommend you take the PA state Motorcycle safety course. It's free and will also add a discount to your insurance.

In my opinion given you stature an 883 is gonna be waayyyy too small.... Your gonna look like a Shriner on 1 of those things.

I would advise vise you to go to a HD dealership and look at all the different models. Sit on em and get a feel what's comfortable for you especially since you said you plan on riding for hours at a time ergonomics will play a factor. Once you find out what you like go on cycle trader or Craigslist and see if you can find a deal on the used model you like. Never a good idea to buy brand new for your 1st bike. You pay all that money for a brand new bike and realize maybe riding ain't for you or end up dropping in a parking lot. No need to make that kind of investment right off the bat when there's plenty of used bikes out there for half the price

Quick Reply: Hey Riders, Im new from Pa .