Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Got my first Harley today!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016 | 10:28 PM
robsfirsthd
|
Novice
Smile Got my first Harley today!

Well, at 53 yrs old I finally got my first HD. I've always wanted a sportster so I bought a used 2007 Sportster 1200 Classic. It only has 12K miles on it and appears to be in excellent condition, but even if it wasn't I would still love it! Don't have my license yet so I'm confined to riding in the neighborhood, luckily for me we live in a rural area so our neighborhood consists of 3.5 miles of decent road. I could probably get away with riding farther, but don't want start my HD ownership with a ticket for no license. Taking the rider course this weekend so I can be legal then it's off to the hills and wherever I want to go. I'm super pumped about this bike and can't wait to get out and cruise around. I know this is isn't a long distance bike but that's ok, I'm not thinking about any long trips….yet. I like the way the Sportster looks and handles so I'm happy, the wife isn't but she'll get used to it. Looking forward to hitting the road and meeting other HD enthusiasts along the way. Time to start looking for upgrades and a jacket.

Old 01-31-2016 | 10:46 PM
Sharpie
Road Warrior

Welcome Rob. I always wanted a Sportster but got a little too big for the sporty and had to go the Dyna route. I still remember what the 1000 cc looked like in the late 70's. Ride safe and watch out for the non-attentive divers in the other vehicles.

Old 01-31-2016 | 10:57 PM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member

Welcome and congrads!

Old 01-31-2016 | 10:58 PM
robsfirsthd
|
Novice

Hey Sharpie, I really like the Dyna, that's my graduation to bike when I get tired of the Sportster, I hear they ride much nicer than the sportster. Nevertheless, I'm thrilled to finally have a Sportster, and a 1200 at that, hell I would have settled for a 883 but got lucky and found this 07. I hear ya about the "non-attentives", too many distractions with drivers today, mainly cell phones, so I'll be cautious about where I travel and when.
I was a huge Evil Knievel fan and he rode what looked to be a sportster so I decided that one day I would own a Sportster! I hope I'm not weird but I have been back out to the garage three times just to look at, wipe down and sit on it. Can't believe I finally have one.

Old 01-31-2016 | 11:05 PM
FlyingSkeet
Road Captain

Good for you!! Be careful, and enjoy the ride

Old 01-31-2016 | 11:08 PM
Nitrusfix
Cruiser

Congrats buddy! I bought my bike 2 years ago when I was 50 only regret was waiting this long in life without a Harley. I bought a 2014 Steet Glide it was my 4 year sobriety present. My wife wasn't that happy at first but now when she sees how stoked I am before and after every ride it's all good! Stay safe ride hard.

Old 01-31-2016 | 11:10 PM
Helen Wheels
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by robsfirsthd
Well, at 53 yrs old I finally got my first HD. I've always wanted a sportster so I bought a used 2007 Sportster 1200 Classic. It only has 12K miles on it and appears to be in excellent condition, but even if it wasn't I would still love it! Don't have my license yet so I'm confined to riding in the neighborhood, luckily for me we live in a rural area so our neighborhood consists of 3.5 miles of decent road. I could probably get away with riding farther, but don't want start my HD ownership with a ticket for no license. Taking the rider course this weekend so I can be legal then it's off to the hills and wherever I want to go. I'm super pumped about this bike and can't wait to get out and cruise around. I know this is isn't a long distance bike but that's ok, I'm not thinking about any long trips….yet. I like the way the Sportster looks and handles so I'm happy, the wife isn't but she'll get used to it. Looking forward to hitting the road and meeting other HD enthusiasts along the way. Time to start looking for upgrades and a jacket.
congrats rob! I think your gonna really enjoy it

Old 01-31-2016 | 11:13 PM
tuscani
Intermediate

same for me first harley at 50 nothing give you a smile for so long after my first short ride (freezing temp) i smilled for 24 hours (it was not frozen on my face lol)

Old 01-31-2016 | 11:14 PM
robsfirsthd
|
Novice

Thanks Nitrusfix and Flyingskeet,
I am super stoked about this bike, I know it's not new, but hey, it's new to me and it's the bike I've always wanted. I don't know what it is, but there's something about a Harley that separates it from the other bikes and that's what I liked about them. Maybe one day I'll graduate to a bigger cruiser but not until I get tired of my Sportster. Time to start shopping for accessories.

Can't wait for that first real ride, but gotta get my license first. Going to the class this weekend and be legal by next weekend! Then, time to burn some fuel and wear out some tires. I am supposed to run super unleaded in this bike? And can I use other oils besides HD oil, maybe a synthetic or something? Sorry for the questions but I don't know anyone else who owns a HD to ask some of these questions.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 02-01-2016 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-31-2016 | 11:23 PM
JeremyHagen68
Outstanding HDF Member

Welcome from North Dakota!

Quick Reply: Got my first Harley today!