Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Got my first Harley today!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016 | 01:07 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor

A big welcome to you from sunny Southern California. Glad to have you on board.

Old 02-01-2016 | 01:56 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member

Welcome,Never too old

Old 02-01-2016 | 02:33 PM
robsfirsthd
|
Novice

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I have a question though, is there some kind of inside joke about owning a Sportster? I'm catching a little grief from some friends about buying a Sportster and I don't get it. Of course these turds ride import bikes, nice bikes but not a HD, so whats the story about Sportsters? They make it sound like this is a girls bike or something, not that I care since I've wanted one for several years, but it would be nice to know what they're talking about. Go ahead and say it like it is, I'm a big boy I can take it cuz I really don't care because it's the bike I've had my eyes on for many years and I wouldn't trade it for anything right now. Yes I like the Dynas, good looking bike with a great reputation, but I'm happy with my Sportster, just wanna know what the joke is.

Old 02-01-2016 | 03:17 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by robsfirsthd
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I have a question though, is there some kind of inside joke about owning a Sportster? I'm catching a little grief from some friends about buying a Sportster and I don't get it. Of course these turds ride import bikes, nice bikes but not a HD, so whats the story about Sportsters? They make it sound like this is a girls bike or something, not that I care since I've wanted one for several years, but it would be nice to know what they're talking about. Go ahead and say it like it is, I'm a big boy I can take it cuz I really don't care because it's the bike I've had my eyes on for many years and I wouldn't trade it for anything right now. Yes I like the Dynas, good looking bike with a great reputation, but I'm happy with my Sportster, just wanna know what the joke is.

Welcome. Some Harley riders like to bust your *****. I do too, but not over what bike you ride.

I started riding when I was 47, 12 years ago. I bought a Vulcan 750, and all my Harley friends busted my *****.
I only moved up to an Ultra because my wife decided to ride 2 up.

I would love a Sportster, but 2 bikes aren't in my budget, and I don't have enough garage space. I was also a Then Came Bronson fan.

I would highly recommend a Full Face helmet for your first 2 years/20k miles. Get a good leather jacket or an armored textile jacket.

I like Chaps, but this forum likes to tease about those. Great in cold, and if you ever crash.

Ride your own ride. Don't let anyone pressure you into riding beyond your abilities. And ride like your invisible. Stay out of people's blind spots too.

Old 02-01-2016 | 03:39 PM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member

Welcome

Old 02-01-2016 | 03:57 PM
robsfirsthd
|
Novice

I was just curious what the story was about Sportsters, or as I have told I can now call Sporties since I own one. I've always liked the Sporties, just something about them appealed to me. I did see a Dyna at the gas station this morning and not gonna lie, it was pretty sweet. Looked a lot like my Sportie, just bigger.

Old 02-01-2016 | 04:07 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by robsfirsthd
I was just curious what the story was about Sportsters, or as I have told I can now call Sporties since I own one. I've always liked the Sporties, just something about them appealed to me. I did see a Dyna at the gas station this morning and not gonna lie, it was pretty sweet. Looked a lot like my Sportie, just bigger.
Like I said, ride your own ride. Don't worry about other people's bikes, until you get some experience. You might be perfectly happy with your bike, or decide you want a touring bike.
We have a forum for Sportsters on here. Check it out.

Old 02-01-2016 | 04:27 PM
jumpinjoe313
Advanced

Rob, don't let them give you any grief about your Sporty. You've got a bike with a HP to weight ratio that will match most bikes on the road. They are a smaller frame than the bigger HD's, but so what. A Corvette is much smaller than a Mack truck too, but which one do you think most of them would rather have.

At my age and with all the screws and plates in my body, why would I want to muscle a 600+ bike when I have an option. I've ridden everything from a 50cc dirt bike to a '94 HD Softail Custom over the years and enjoyed every one of them. But now that I've finally got my Sportster, even though I've only got a couple hours on it, I honestly don't think I'll ever consider another 'big' bike, HD or any other.

Ride safe and regards, Joe.

Old 02-01-2016 | 04:36 PM
Lou'sUltra
Extreme HDF Member

Welcome from Ohio

Old 02-01-2016 | 05:52 PM
critter85
Extreme HDF Member

Welcome to the Forum from Kansas!

Quick Reply: Got my first Harley today!