Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

New to HD's from San Diego

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:19 AM
TheEssence
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to HD's from San Diego

G'day all. Just bought an '07 xl1200r with 27k miles on it here in san diego. I've been riding for eleven years now. Started out in high school on a vulcan 750, then went to a Shadow 1100. After that I switched to street bikes for a while. Got an '05 ZX-6R for a while, then upgraded to an '09 Triumph Daytona 675. While I got that I started track riding and picked up an old superstock race '01 GSX-R600 which I tracked for about two years. Got tired of packing up for the track for weekends at a time, so I traded that for an '01 DRZ400S. Then I got rid of the daytona for an '09 Triumph Street Triple R. After riding the track for two years, riding a sport bike on the streets isn't fun anymore, or you have to go too fast to have any fun. So, I found a buyer for that and she will be gone in two weeks. Today I sold the DRZ and bought up the sporty. Hope everyone was able to follow that. The bike has a 2 into 1 exhaust on it, forward controls, some z bars, intake and a bobbed fender with a solo seat. I got it on the cheap because the dealer picked it up with no history. It has a clean title, but they know something has been done to the engine as far as mods. They are thinking a cam and maybe some head or valve work, but they're not entirely sure. The top is a little noisier than normal, but no clanging or anything, just some louder ticking from the top end, louder on the left side. But, it runs smooth and strong, and it's obviously had an ECM tune to go with whatever's been done because it runs great from what we can tell, and there's no popping or surging with the throttle. So, once I get it home, I'm going to tear it down and try to figure out what all has been done. Talked to the guys over at Hammer Performance and they said once I tear it down and pull the cams I can send them some pictures and they'll help me cross reference some numbers to figure out what's going on in there. Then, if I need, I will have them make me a head set up for what the bike has. Anyway, that was a bit of a novel, so if you made it here to the end of this post, good on ya. Looking forward to all the how-to's and knowledge available here on the forum. After I read through forum rules, and let some people get to know me a bit, I will be posting the exhaust and forward controls for sale. I want mids and this exhaust is far too loud for me, but I'm not on the forum only to sell a few parts and then leave. I do all my own work on my bikes, so a big part of the forum is to learn about the nuances of working on this bike and to go through some how-to's.
A picture of the new bike.

A picture from a track day

A picture on my recently sold Street Triple R from one of the local mountains.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:23 AM
WanaRyd Wheels
Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

WanaRyd Motorcycle welcomes you to HD Forums from the Holy City of Charleston, South Carolina !!!

WanaRyd Motorcycle
1-888-926-2793

Old 03-04-2015, 09:32 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Welcome to the "New Members Area" of the HD Forums from Texas.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:43 AM
rykers
Tourer

Welcome from Oregon

Old 03-04-2015, 11:18 AM
driftbuster
5th Gear

Welcome

Old 03-04-2015, 01:01 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:25 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:29 PM
airman1952
Tourer

Hello and welcome from Oregon!!

Old 03-04-2015, 03:31 PM
kidsid99
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome from Memphis!

Old 03-04-2015, 03:38 PM
TemplarX