Want To Buy Motorcycles/Parts/Accessories Looking for a Motorcycle or a part to help get your motorcycle back together? In search of a deal on used leathers? Post your wants here! Please read the rules for posting in this section.
Mark this thread as Unsold

garmin

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 10:49 AM
FLHXDAN
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default garmin

Interested in purchasing a zumo to install on my 2009 street glide. Have never had one before and would consider an older model if the deal was right. Would prefer a newer model.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:02 PM
MichiganMikey
Tourer

Are you set on a zumo? In my opinion they are outrageously over priced. You can get a decent TomTom or Garmin and the handlebar mount brand new for under $200 if you can live without it being waterproof. Just sayin.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:11 PM
FLHXDAN
Intermediate

Thanks MichiganMikey I hate to spend the $800. The newest zumo looks much improved with the satellite radio, weather radar, blue tooth, etc.

Looking for some input on this one, thanks.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:37 AM
ilmanzo31
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i modified a car mount for my tomtom 130 and have used it without issue for a few years right on the handlebars. i just got myself a new one and its now sitting in the drawer if you wanna experiment...

drop a line.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:07 PM
skjskmata
Cruiser

I've had the Zumo 550 for about 5 years now and would recommend it. The prices on this one vary wildly so check around. I paid $400. Also, check reviews on Amazon.com and other places. Last time I checked (been awhile), the 550 had far better reviews than some of the newer Garmin models.

Although the screen is larger on some newer models, the 550's screen is plenty big enough to see and is fine in the sun. It's waterproof-have had it in downpours many, many times without problems. I have never had any problems with it at all.

The software it comes with is fairly easy to use. You can map out a route on your computer, with our without stops, and load the route onto the Garmin. Then, just follow the route on your ride. There are a few features on the software which could use improvement, but it's still a nice product.

Another nice feature with the software is that it has places of interest programmed into it. I have been planning a Blue Ridge Parkway ride and was looking for campsites. It had a number of them listed on there that I didn't find elsewhere.

I haven't used the bluetooth so I cannot comment on how well it works.

You can go to Garmin's web site and see the user manual for the list of features each model has. Unless it's lacking something that you have to have, then I'd recommend it.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:13 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

I give another vote for the Zumo 550. Got a great deal online for one NIB and with a $100 rebate. They are expensive but worth it in my opinion. I tried the regular car ones but they were hard to see in the sunlight and had to cover with a sandwich bag if bad weather. I also like the gas guage feature that lets you know when to fill up and shows the closest gas stations.

My brother has the Zumo 660 for his bike and likes it also. Does have more features.