Want To Buy Motorcycles/Parts/Accessories Looking for a Motorcycle or a part to help get your motorcycle back together? In search of a deal on used leathers? Post your wants here! Please read the rules for posting in this section.
Mark this thread as Unsold

Screwed in CA

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:22 AM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Screwed in CA

Where getting screwed here in CA....
I'm going to need stock header pipes here soon I think....
Who out there has Stock header pipes for a 08 FXDC....
I figure with the stock header pipes and nice slip ons I'll be OK....
I'll have a set of Thunder headers for sale soon I think....

Old 07-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Wonkaboy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Thunder Header has a baffle and set up for the 02 sensors what's the problem out there in Cali ?

Old 07-15-2010, 10:04 AM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're worried about California Senate Bill 435 maybe you haven't been following the latest developments . It was indeed onerous in its original form but what passed out of committee was significantly changed. As written now it's no longer a smog check, and only says you need an EPA stamp on your pipes, but it will only apply to motorcycles manufactured in 2011 and later. You have an '08, right? Plus the Governor has to sign it and that's not an automatic lock either.

Also here's a letter sent around to all California Highway Patrol stations just a week or so ago.

>>California Highway Patrol has issued a bulletin clarifying state exhaust noise regulations. The Bulletin (CHP Information Bulletin 98-100) contains the following information:
<<

>>>"Contrary to some citations issued recently, exhaust modifications that increase noise are not automatically illegal in California. The regulations allow exhaust modifications increasing noise up to 95 decibels. The California Vehicle Code does not prohibit exhaust modifications, modified tailpipes or muffler tips which increase exhaust noise levels over that of factory-installed systems as long as noise levels do not exceed the 95-decibel limit."<<<

If you want to see outrageous look into Maine's new motorcycle exhaust law. That one basically says nothing is legal except what the original manufacturer installed. All in all California, besides being the best state to ride a motorcycle in, really isn't that bad. I just finished registering and titling a special construction bike and it was almost easy. It's actually harder in Arizona (where they're all about getting government out of their lives, LOL) to do the same thing as in some metro areas there you do actually need a smog check.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:46 AM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This law also has to pass both the House and the Senate, so if you live in CA you need to get off your *** and call, write, email your House Rep and Senator urging/demanding them to oppose this legislation.
That said, even if it passes, the exhaust manufacturers (who are not really fighting this) will design exhaust systems to meet the requirements. Challenges spark innovation and design, so don't be surprised if they come up with good performing exhaust systems.
CB

Old 07-15-2010, 11:54 AM
orbframe
Intermediate

im glad I own an 08 and an 09 then

Old 07-15-2010, 12:06 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by orbframe
im glad I own an 08 and an 09 then
Until you want a new bike.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:09 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I got a ticket for loud pipes years ago. I put stock back on, git it inspected and put something else different on. I have had 6 different sets of pipes not counting the stock on here and got in trouble once as the cop was having a bad day. I have my stock pipes just in case.

Drew

Old 07-15-2010, 01:19 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 562 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
This law also has to pass both the House and the Senate, so if you live in CA you need to get off your *** and call, write, email your House Rep and Senator urging/demanding them to oppose this legislation.
That said, even if it passes, the exhaust manufacturers (who are not really fighting this) will design exhaust systems to meet the requirements. Challenges spark innovation and design, so don't be surprised if they come up with good performing exhaust systems.
CB
+2 on this...and join the AMA and get their assistance in opposing this bill.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:17 PM
teqsand
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

We should be OK with no smog chk, epa stamp is only on the slip ons and not the head pipe...

Old 07-29-2010, 11:06 PM
Kenzo
Cruiser

>>>"Contrary to some citations issued recently, exhaust modifications that increase noise are not automatically illegal in California. The regulations allow exhaust modifications increasing noise up to 95 decibels. The California Vehicle Code does not prohibit exhaust modifications, modified tailpipes or muffler tips which increase exhaust noise levels over that of factory-installed systems as long as noise levels do not exceed the 95-decibel limit."<<<
I'm going to carry a copy of that for the "if n when" to show to the cop should I get pulled for that again. Then it should be up to him to prove the 95db issue.

Quick Reply: Screwed in CA