Want To Buy Motorcycles/Parts/Accessories Looking for a Motorcycle or a part to help get your motorcycle back together? In search of a deal on used leathers? Post your wants here! Please read the rules for posting in this section.
Mark this thread as Unsold

Drop Kick - Oops

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010 | 01:38 AM
JimmieJack
|
Tourer
Default Drop Kick - Oops

I lowerd my bike and went to do the mod to my kick stand - but I cut a little too much off of it. Lucky - it still works but If I'm not careful I can push it too far forward. So far nothing bad has happen so far but I'm not comfortable with it.
A new (OEM) one will cost me about a $100 shipped. So, I thought I'd ask if anyone has changed their original with a shorter one and wants to part with the old one. Just asking ???

Attached Thumbnails Drop Kick - Oops-kick-stand-1a.jpg   Drop Kick - Oops-kick-stand-2a.jpg  
Old 03-28-2010 | 02:19 AM
2NAHNTR
Road Captain

Don't you just hate those expensive miscalculations. I've been there before. Have you thought about building it back up with some welding?

Old 03-28-2010 | 07:36 AM
russell6hp
Tourer

+1 on the welding...

I have made this same mistake too. Before you spend some money, I want to make two points:

You can still use it just as it is. Just be careful when you extend it and rest the bike, and you're golden (this is how I am currently operating). Put the kickstand about 3/4 of the way forward, rest the bike on it, then roll the bike backward until the kickstand hits the stopper.

Secondly, since you lowered your bike you will have to roll it up onto something to get a jack or drain pan under it (I use stacked and staggered 1x4 boards). When the bike is up on the boards, extend your kickstand ALL the way forward. You should find that your bike now stands up nearly vertical! Makes it perfect to work on it.

I just did this yesterday to change the oil and adjust the clutch and it worked like a charm.

Old 03-28-2010 | 08:58 AM
JimmieJack
|
Tourer

Good idea on the welding = I don't weld myself but I'm sure if I ask around.

Thanks

Still would be interested in a used stand if the price was reasonable.