Want To Buy Motorcycles/Parts/Accessories Looking for a Motorcycle or a part to help get your motorcycle back together? In search of a deal on used leathers? Post your wants here! Please read the rules for posting in this section.

WTB Ward Werks Cooling fan

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 01:06 AM
shimaze
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Angry I find it hard to believe Steve West from Love Jugs

*** I make the following claims based on my research, own observation of both products, and limited knowledge of patents. I make no claims based on first hand sources. Take my words with skepticism and make your own judgment!!! ***

Hard to believe statement #1
Originally Posted by Love Jugs
Plain and simple, our company, Hammerhead Engineering owns the utility patent for all twin fan air cooling systems for V-Twin engines. MOTORCYCLE ENGINE COOLING DEVICE AND SYSTEM | U.S. Patent No. 8812189.
Here is the link to LJ's patent: 8812189.google

I quote: “An engine cooling device for providing fresh air to the cylinder jugs of a v-twin motorcycle having a horn mounting bracket and a protective horn cover, said engine cooling device comprising: a first and second fan assembly configured to produce a concentrated flow of air…”

LJ is claiming any twin fan cooling device is covered under 8812189. While I do not specialize in patent law, but I can safely say that the patent description is rather vague. WW & LJ fans were vastly different! Certinaly different enough that no one could claim one copied the other. Most importantly, different enough that neither company could claim a patent violation …although Steve is making that claim! The only similarities match the description above.

For those that want an official link: 8812189.gov

Hard to believe statement #2
We were faced with the choice of a time consuming and costly legal battle or beating him head-to-head on the battlefield. We heard your voices and we decided to give you what you want, the look of our competitor with the quality and service of Love Jugs.
I just don’t believe this. I think Jason either sold out or simply couldn’t afford to fight a costly legal battle. I just believe LJ offered WW a sum of money, probably an amount equal to the cost of litigation, to agree to hand over the design and agree not to pursue copyright infringements. I have searched the federal records, and the records in both states and I don’t see any lawsuits between the two companies. If Steve's claims were true, logic dictates LJ would have filed suit a long time ago over patent infringement.

Hard to believe statement #3
We decided to copy the Wards look while improving the quality and performance. Since the Wards product has several inherent flaws in its design, merely copying his product would not meet our far superior standards of quality, ruggedness, and reliability, that Love Jugs are known for in the motorcycle world.
I'm telling you what I saw at the show in Cincinnati is the Wards Werks fan. I handled this one and I have handled my Wards fan and I am telling you they are the same. In fact, the black fan is Jason’s. It has the epoxy covered switch where are the chrome one has a bolt on cover. The bolt on cover was is one of the improvement. Like anything else, improvement occurs as a matter of failure and customer feedback.

After all, I was right! In some form or fashion - Love Jugs did acquire Wards Werks. Make your own judgment. Read the patent, read the other patents contained in 8812189, and make your own call that Jason violated 8812189 more than 8812189 violated the preceding patents.

The important thing to us as consumers and riders is that the Wards Werks fans will soon become available to the market. I fault both Wards Werks and Love Jugs for not being straight forward with its customers. Clearly, both had one of the most bizarre debates I have ever seen. LJ going so far as to offer $25k for test results, yet falling well short of acquiring a Wards fan and testing it themselves.

I am not happy at all about how this went down, nothing about the whole deal passes the smell test. I am very satisfied with my Wards Werks fans and expect to be for the foreseeable future. But when I need another set, I will purchase the Mighty-Mite from Love Jugs.

Last edited by shimaze; 01-30-2017 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Edited to post to make it less inflammatory
The following 3 users liked this post by shimaze:
FLshovelhead (02-14-2017), grouchy (01-30-2017), krz (02-15-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 06:24 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

I don't get it. You're calling the owner of Love Jugs a liar, yet you say you'd buy one of his products? If I felt that strongly about what I interpreted as deceptive practices I wouldn't do business with them, but that's just me.

What matters here is that as long as a product is being made legally, or observing what ever applicable design protection law exists, the manufacturer really has no obligation to disclose his business practices.

If Steve decided to just sell them and not open up (to apparent criticitism) the fans would sell just fine. Without Wards Fans "fans" calling him a liar.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:13 AM
shimaze
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Exclamation There is a difference between opinions and statements of fact

Originally Posted by Mchad
I don't get it. You're calling the owner of Love Jugs a liar
No, I am not calling anyone anything. What I am saying is that find it very hard to believe

...you say you'd buy one of his products?
Yes, I would buy this fan from Love Jugs. I need a cooling device for my Harley and I cannot make my own.

What matters here is that as long as a product is being made legally, or observing what ever applicable design protection law exists, the manufacturer really has no obligation to disclose his business practices.
Good point, neither is obligated to disclose anything. And there is nothing wrong with one company selling a design to another company.

I just find it hard to believe that Wards ceases production for all of 2016 and then Love Jugs picks up the same exact product in 2017 without some kind of back story. I would have preferred something to the effect of "as a result of an agreement..." kind of thing. But the truth cannot be fabricated out of a perceived falsehood ...it is what it is!

The problem is that we are hearing only one side of the story. What we need is Jason Wards' comment on the issue! But, another one of my suspicions is that we will never hear from Jason again. I just hope everything works out on his end for his sake.

To be quite honest, in light of Wards Werks no longer taking deposits, I am very happy that Love Jugs picked up the design and offered it to demanding consumers! That is a much better alternative than not having the fans at all.

The following users liked this post:
tgmotoman (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 09:58 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by shimaze
No, I am not calling anyone anything. What I am saying is that find it very hard to believe

Yes, I would buy this fan from Love Jugs. I need a cooling device for my Harley and I cannot make my own.

Good point, neither is obligated to disclose anything. And there is nothing wrong with one company selling a design to another company.

I just find it hard to believe that Wards ceases production for all of 2016 and then Love Jugs picks up the same exact product in 2017 without some kind of back story. I would have preferred something to the effect of "as a result of an agreement..." kind of thing. But the truth cannot be fabricated out of a perceived falsehood ...it is what it is!

The problem is that we are hearing only one side of the story. What we need is Jason Wards' comment on the issue! But, another one of my suspicions is that we will never hear from Jason again. I just hope everything works out on his end for his sake.

To be quite honest, in light of Wards Werks no longer taking deposits, I am very happy that Love Jugs picked up the design and offered it to demanding consumers! That is a much better alternative than not having the fans at all.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. What you said makes sense to me now.

Hopefully we'll see these come to market soon... TBH I wish Steve would just post info on the product and stop posting stuff that seems to inflame a lot of ppl. But its his business to run.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:41 AM
gphilpot
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gphilpot

Don't listen a darn thing Shimaze says... He's an idiot and doesn't know anything.... LOL... He's my brother so I had to dig him....

Totally agree this debate and bantering BS has gone on long enough and people are growing weary of the LJ and WW battle... But it made for some great free publicity... In time I think the true story will come out. What we all hope for is no one screwed anyone over in the process.... Biker's are a rare breed of loyalists and we take it personally when a person we have a brotherhood with in the passion of bikes gets burned. So yes, the charades should stop and the truth should be told. Enough is enough.

I too handled the fans at the show first hand, they were a WW fan in every aspect I could see with the exception of some black sealing on the back side. It was eerie handling the fan because it felt like touching stolen property and being happy about it.... Like sleeping sleeping with your best friends girl.... Just dirty...

shimaze (04-12-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 04:13 PM
Love Jugs
Former Sponsor
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I gave you all information to explain the incorrect assumptions that were afoot. You surely are entitled to your assumptions but I don't see the point, especially when they are incorrect and will be shown as such. Since I am the source of the information and I can promise you two things. One is that this is not a Wards Fan. Two, I'm overwhelmed right now with my ongoing business but as soon as I can get to it you will have a chart of the differences. The fan you handled was totally made by us, we have no arrangement with Wards, and I am not going to litigate the copywriter issues in a forum since we decided not go that route in a court. I do hope that you will make an informed evaluation when you see our improvements and especially when you compare the Mighty-Mite to the Wards fans after you use them side-by-side.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:20 PM
mastergunnera8
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Well stop posting here and get the fans ready for purchase already!!...so there are 3 lines now?

Original LJ; mid-size and small? What are the price points?

Sparkybob477 (02-13-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 12:35 PM
Spikester67
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This whole thing is hilarious!!!!!!

Old 02-02-2017, 07:10 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by 09 YELLOWBIRD
Steve,

Questions: 1. When are these going to be available?
2. Will Granite CVO color be an option?
3. Forum Discount for less then introduction price?
4. You might have posted already, but warranty info?

TIA!

YB

Steve @ Love Jugs.

Again, trying to find out info regarding your fans. Very INTERRESTED and NO REPLY.

YB

Old 02-02-2017, 11:15 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

The path to protecting a patent is very costly. Most profitable patents get bought by a big corp from the originator with an agreement that benefits both parties. The patent holder gets the protection of corporate lawyers, increased production of product, increased advertising and increased promotion and the corp produces and takes a share of the profits. I worked at manufacturer of bmx parts back in the early 80's , he had a patented part that sold for $200, quite a bit of money back then, and sold a ton of 'em. The part got knocked off and sold in the same bmx racing market. Boss man was furious. Patent lawyer told him, yeah well forget about protecting it. It would cost way too much and if he won the other guy would go belly up and not pay legal fees anyhow. I don't think the LJ guy is lying about that part.

Quick Reply: WTB Ward Werks Cooling fan