Want To Buy Motorcycles/Parts/Accessories Looking for a Motorcycle or a part to help get your motorcycle back together? In search of a deal on used leathers? Post your wants here! Please read the rules for posting in this section.

WTB Ward Werks Cooling fan

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 04:16 PM
gphilpot
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gphilpot

I made the statement on a hunch. However, I cornered Jason (email) from Ward's and he denied it, and updated his website the same day. He either sold his design (thank you so it can be bought by those waiting), or LG stole the design 100% and a court battle is about to brew. Rumor was Ward's didn't patent his part....

Old 01-28-2017, 04:18 PM
Love Jugs
Former Sponsor
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default What's going on between Love Jugs and Ward's?

As many of the readers of this forum know, love jugs and Ward's have been engaged in an ongoing dispute regarding the quality, legality, and performance of our competing products.

Plain and simple, our company, Hammerhead Engineering owns the utility patent for all twin fan air cooling systems for V-Twin engines. MOTORCYCLE ENGINE COOLING DEVICE AND SYSTEM | U.S. Patent No. 8812189. Our patent was pending before Jason had his first inkling of copying us.

Wards produced his product in spite of being aware of our pending patent. He even falsely claimed publicly that he had a patent or a patent pending. Not true.

We were faced with the choice of a time consuming and costly legal battle or beating him head-to-head on the battlefield. We heard your voices and we decided to give you what you want, the look of our competitor with the quality and service of Love Jugs.

We decided to copy the Wards look while improving the quality and performance. Since the Wards product has several inherent flaws in its design, merely copying his product would not meet our far superior standards of quality, ruggedness, performance, and reliability, that Love Jugs are known for in the motorcycle world.

The result is the Mighty-Mite. We have successfully engineered several major improvements into the smaller fans that makes our Mighty-Mite a far superior product, in every conceivable way.

Our goal was to give the Harley rider the look that many of you seem to go for, but more importantly, our mission was to present you with a far superior choice. Our engineers were very successful in accomplishing that goal. You, and your Harley, will be the beneficiary of our ending the dispute in the marketplace rather than the courtroom.

We didn’t know that Wards was going to go off the market when we began this project a year ago but that is the case. Like you, we are wondering what has happened to Jason?

Now you know that you are the reason that we are adding the Mighty-Mite to our product line. I'm sure that anyone who’s intellectual property was infringed on would take action. For us it made more sense to add to our line than to proceed with a costly and attention robbing legal battle.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:17 PM
Love Jugs
Former Sponsor
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default No speculation necessary - Here is the whole story

What's going on between Love Jugs and Ward's?

As many of the readers of this forum know, love jugs and Ward's have been engaged in an ongoing dispute regarding the quality, legality, and performance of our competing products.

Plain and simple, our company, Hammerhead Engineering owns the utility patent for all twin fan air cooling systems for V-Twin engines. MOTORCYCLE ENGINE COOLING DEVICE AND SYSTEM | U.S. Patent No. 8812189. Our patent was pending before Jason had his first inkling of copying us.

Wards produced his product in spite of being aware of our pending patent. He even falsely claimed publicly that he had a patent or a patent pending. Not true.

We were faced with the choice of a time consuming and costly legal battle or beating him head-to-head on the battlefield. We heard your voices and we decided to give you what you want, the look of our competitor with the quality and service of Love Jugs.

We decided to copy the Wards look while improving the quality and performance. Since the Wards product has several inherent flaws in its design, merely copying his product would not meet our far superior standards of quality, ruggedness, and reliability, that Love Jugs are known for in the motorcycle world.

The result is the Mighty-Mite. We have successfully engineered several major improvements into the smaller fans that makes our Mighty-Mite a far superior product, in every conceivable way.

Our goal was to give the Harley rider the look that many of you seem to go for, but more importantly, our mission was to present you with a far superior choice. Our engineers were very successful in accomplishing that goal. You, and your Harley, will be the beneficiary of our ending the dispute in the marketplace rather than the courtroom.

We didn’t know that Wards was going to go off the market when we began this project a year ago but that is the case. Like you, we are wondering what has happened to Jason?

Now you know that you are the reason that we are adding the Mighty-Mite to our product line. I'm sure that anyone who’s intellectual property was infringed on would take action. For us it made more sense to add to our line than to proceed with a costly and attention robbing legal battle.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:48 PM
confederate
Most Wanted
Received 806 Likes on 392 Posts

Well they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery........at least they are admitting they decided to copy the Ward's design and look. My guess is neither company is being completely honest and upfront with what is going on between the two of them.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:33 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,313 Likes on 1,861 Posts

I can appreciate the patent situation and your disclosure, but then making essentially an exact copy (appearance wise at least) ...not so cool

Old 01-29-2017, 08:50 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 541 Posts

Steve,

Questions: 1. When are these going to be available?
2. Will Granite CVO color be an option?
3. Forum Discount for less then introduction price?
4. You might have posted already, but warranty info?

TIA!

YB

Old 01-29-2017, 08:52 AM
Vandinroth
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm just glad now I can buy a smaller less obnoxious fan system without having to wait 6 months. Getting these as soon as they are available.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:21 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

The chrome version will be right at home on my road glide. If only the black version could have the same grille as the chrome it'll be a winner. Thanks for posting the live in person photos gphilpot!

Old 01-29-2017, 12:00 PM
DezertDawg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I agree with Mchad. I would like the chrome fans in a dull black. I really could care less who I get the fans from as long as I can finally get what I want.

I live in the Ca. High Desert and I ride in 115 degree weather in the summer. I'm tired of never being able to order a Ward's fan, but I refused to put that big assed ugly Love-Jug on my bike.

Thank You Love-Jugs for making a fan that is appealing and will be available for order when a rider request it.

I went to the website to order. It says introductory 60 day offer for $349. Nowhere is there a place to order or see different versions

Last edited by DezertDawg; 01-29-2017 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-29-2017, 02:05 PM
gphilpot
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gphilpot

As with anything, all things can change. To date, the fans will come in chrome and black. The grills are all interchangeable as the fan pods are exactly the same. As for other colors and options, those will probably come as LG gets this product rolled out. As for availability, right now assume around mid summer (before Sturgis). But, time with tell and LG will take their time to get these fans right before they release them to market.

I will say, these are an exact copy in everyway, except the fans are upgraded and sealed. Oh, and LG's name is branded by the bolt hole.

Putting all things aside to how these are coming to market between Ward's and LG, I think general consensus is we have all been waiting far to long to vet the fans we have been wanting.

Quick Reply: WTB Ward Werks Cooling fan