Want To Buy Motorcycles/Parts/Accessories Looking for a Motorcycle or a part to help get your motorcycle back together? In search of a deal on used leathers? Post your wants here! Please read the rules for posting in this section.

Help! In search of left latch hinge

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 12:12 PM
HarleymanMike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help! In search of left latch hinge

I know this is the wrong place to post this, but I figure if anybody knows...it would be all of you.
I have a '12 Street Glide.
Does anybody have a screwed up left saddlebag that still has a good latch hinge? I do not need the lock or the latch cover, just the hinge. Mine broke its friggin spring, and I bet I haven't opened it 10 times! Or can anybody direct me in the right direction to find a used one? Before I pay the stealership price, I'll cut the welds and fix my old one, but thought I might find a cheap one on the web somewhere, and save having to have the bike apart for more than a few minutes.

Thanks, in advance folks!

Old 03-15-2015, 05:44 AM
HarleymanMike
Cruiser

Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

Old 03-25-2015, 12:10 AM
1CdnHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleymanMike
I know this is the wrong place to post this, but I figure if anybody knows...it would be all of you.
I have a '12 Street Glide.
Does anybody have a screwed up left saddlebag that still has a good latch hinge? I do not need the lock or the latch cover, just the hinge. Mine broke its friggin spring, and I bet I haven't opened it 10 times! Or can anybody direct me in the right direction to find a used one? Before I pay the stealership price, I'll cut the welds and fix my old one, but thought I might find a cheap one on the web somewhere, and save having to have the bike apart for more than a few minutes.

Thanks, in advance folks!
Replace the spring?

Old 03-25-2015, 06:36 AM
HarleymanMike
Cruiser
Default ?

Originally Posted by 1CdnHD
Replace the spring?
Yeah, I will if I have to. In order to replace the spring, I have to cut the welds that hold the hinge pin...thus my post; I don't want the bike down but for a few minutes to change the latch. I have a feeling the spring may be tough to find.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:42 AM
Sledge
Road Master

You can buy just the spring at the dealership and it's not very expensive. It also is not difficult to replace and you do not have to cut any weld to replace. Follow the instructions in the service manual and it took me a couple minutes it was easy to do and good to go.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:01 AM
HarleymanMike
Cruiser
Default ?

Originally Posted by Sledge
You can buy just the spring at the dealership and it's not very expensive. It also is not difficult to replace and you do not have to cut any weld to replace. Follow the instructions in the service manual and it took me a couple minutes it was easy to do and good to go.
Are we talking the same thing? The spring that I need replaced is wrapped around the hinge pin, and it is welded at the ends. Very tiny spiral with 2 ends that stick out...one for each part of the hinge. If we are talking the same part, could you please send me a part number for it, as I have searched h-d.com and found nothing...thanks!

Old 03-25-2015, 08:59 AM
band1t
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are we talking the same thing? The spring that I need replaced is wrapped around the hinge pin, and it is welded at the ends. Very tiny spiral with 2 ends that stick out...one for each part of the hinge. If we are talking the same part, could you please send me a part number for it, as I have searched h-d.com and found nothing...thanks!
You might better off calling them up and explaining what it is (to the parts dept). I lost that little backing nut 2 weeks ago and my saddlebag wouldn't lock. Guy knew exactly what I was talking about, said it happens all the time with the vibrations and to check them with each oil change. I think I got outta there for maybe $3 in under 5 minutes.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:33 AM
1CdnHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_us...ts/-j02671.pdf

90707-00A New part # has an 'A' behind it, has offset legs to reduce stress on the portion of the spring that breaks.

Last edited by 1CdnHD; 03-25-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:14 AM
HarleymanMike
Cruiser
Default ???

Originally Posted by band1t
You might better off calling them up and explaining what it is (to the parts dept). I lost that little backing nut 2 weeks ago and my saddlebag wouldn't lock. Guy knew exactly what I was talking about, said it happens all the time with the vibrations and to check them with each oil change. I think I got outta there for maybe $3 in under 5 minutes.
HUH? Wrong thread?

Old 03-25-2015, 11:01 AM
HarleymanMike
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 1CdnHD
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_us...ts/-j02671.pdf

90707-00A New part # has an 'A' behind it, has offset legs to reduce stress on the portion of the spring that breaks.
You're the man! I never thought to look on the other end of the pin, LOL. THANK YOU!