VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

Tab pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Rick H
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tab pipes?

I just got a new 2007 vrscaw with the same pipes as the screamin eagle. Love the look, but they are really quiet. I feel like I'm on a Honda instead of a Harley. I saw theseends on http://www.tabperformance.com/servlet/StoreFrontAnyone have experience with them? They say they will soonoffer a fuel manager with built in maps for their pipes. Price is about $180 for the turn out ends.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:57 PM
eazy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tab pipes?

Several companies make similar looking pipes. These will be very loud, and you will have to have something to modulate the fuel. You could cause significant damage if you install these and don't change the fuel curve.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Rick H
1st Gear

Yeah, I'd probably spring for a powercommander.
What is a better way to get that good Harley sound and maybe a few more ponies? V-mod?
Thanks.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:39 PM
eazy
Road Warrior

By V-Mod, are you referring to the company or the process? If you're going to do it yourself you can save big bucks and give the bike a far more acceptable sound. You can go a number of options to improve the sound, such as removing the baffles of a set of pipes like I did, but v-mod yourself is by far the cheapest.

The PCIII-USB is what I am running with and I am highly pleased. I have been told that it is a bit of overkill if you are using it for just pipes and/or air cleaner but I've had my bike dynoed and had the AFR read. It is spot on and I'm glad I went that route.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:29 AM
Rick H
1st Gear

I was refering to the company only because I didn't know it was something you could do yourself. Is removing the bafflesa hard job? They look like they're welded in, but I haven't taken them off to look inside. The bike is brand new and still under warranty. Any tips on finding a "how to"? I'll do it myself if I can.
Thanks!

Old 03-27-2007, 10:02 AM
eazy
Road Warrior

Self V-Mod is basically drilling several holes in the end of the mufflers to increase sound. Some people don't even change the ECM or add a fuel modulator but I would. The stock pipe baffles are welded in and really cannot have the baffles removed (can but it is a difficult process and once out they really cannot be replaced) I have the SE 16 gauge shotguns and the baffles can be removed by simply removing a bolt and pulling them out.

My personal recommendation is to put the first 1000 on the bike before you start with intake/exhaust modifications. I think the engine already has enoguh to deal with.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:10 AM
eazy
Road Warrior
Old 03-27-2007, 01:00 PM
Rick H
1st Gear

Excellent "how to". Just what I was looking for. Thanks!

That is probably the way I'll go. I'm a sort of "hands on" type of guy. Only problem is once it's done, it's expensive to replace the old ones if I don't like the sound. I might try drilling a few holes first like you suggested and see how that sounds.