VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

It's a Porsche design people ..

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 12:35 PM
JWR
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow It's a Porsche design people ..

Came over here on these boards to see what the talk was concerning the V-Rods and lo and behold as per usual, cause it's the same talk you'll here on other sites, that being wanting to get the traditional Harley potato sound out of the V-Rods.

My only statement is where most of you even aware of what you where buying when you bought your V-Rod, or did you just buy it because it was a Harley ?

The only real thing Harley about the V-Rods is the name. And trying to get that traditional Harley sound goes completely against what this Porsche/ Harley represents.

What that all means is, the V-Rods don't need that sound and in fact would ruin the Aesthetic principle. The V-Rod is Harley's greatest statement and if you feel embarrass by it then I would simply say the bike is way out of your league.

The V-Rods are truly Harley's only models that do not require any mods except a rider who understands form & function from a design perspective.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:25 PM
52isntbigenough
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, I bought mine despite HD, not because of them. I'm not understanding what the comment "the only thing Harley about the V-Rods is the name." means.

If it's making reference to HD's collaboration with Porsche on the Motor, well, it was a collaboration. Believe it or not the Revolution motor was originally intended for Erik Buell and a LC project he was trying to take to market. When the HD brass got their mitts on it, it ballooned to over 200 lbs and became useless to Buell.

The Revolution isn't made by Porsche, it wasn't fully designed by Porsche and there's zero Porsche internal parts.

I'm not a patch wearing, Cool Aid drinking HD lover, just somebody who knows the history of the V Rod, impart because I have family who were hired specifically for this project and still work at the MoCo supporting it.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:38 PM
JWR
Intermediate

What has always made Harley a Harley ? The sound .. And when you get right down to it, that is their real claim to fame. Because no one can duplicate it. Not even another American manufactures let alone the Japaneses.

You might think water cooling is state of the art, it isn't, but it is required for this Porsche design in the V-Rod. Let me guess is that one of the reasons you bought it ? Air cool works very well on their other engines.

Once again let me try to break it down for you, without Porsche there is no V-Rod ! They design it, not Harley ..

Note: it is however every bit a Harley, cause they built it with a V-twin. (design and build are two different animals) You simply cannot have that traditional Harley sound in a V-Rod as I have noted above as to why. And those who seek that sound have no real understanding as noted above as well.

Last edited by JWR; 05-17-2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: for more clarification
Old 05-17-2013, 02:30 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,349 Likes on 5,493 Posts

My head hurts. A VROD is what it is ,as is a Sporty, a Softail or Touring bike.
The beginnings of the VROD engine go all the way back to the NOVA.
but who cares if a VROD gets you pumped then ride.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm confused. What are we arguing about here??

Old 05-17-2013, 02:42 PM
JWR
Intermediate

...and why change the sound. Should have bought your traditional Harley. It's almost sacrilegious to try and get that sound on a V-Rod. They just didn't have the guts to buy another manufactures. They got to have that sound.

And they'll spend hundreds and still never come close to that sound. A lot cheaper just to tool around on your V-Rod with a bar fly on the back.

Last edited by JWR; 05-17-2013 at 02:45 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 05-17-2013, 02:46 PM
52isntbigenough
Advanced

I haven't read anywhere, and I belonged to a V Rod forum for 5 years, that owners needed to have the "potato potato" Harley sound. I always thought mine, stock, sounded like a lawn mower. So I changed that with a V&H's 2-1.

Also, the "no Porsche, no V Rod" statement is complete BS. JWR, you know what this is?

Its a non-Porsche VR1000 prototype built where? No in Germany my friend, it's in Erik Buell's garage in East Troy Wisconsin.

Any clue as to what this is JWR?

Its the VR1000 race motor. The motor that HD originally used in the prototype V Rod's. Your Porsche friends helped HD design it to be bullet proof, but HD would have and could have made it themselves (The Nova mentioned above is another example of HD's foray into LCing). If you ask me, HD took the smart route in aiding in the help of Porsche to cut back on costs in the motor development. The bike was already the most expensive project they ever began and was running way over budget as is.

Personally, I'm happy Porsche helped, especially if that means I get over 100,000 miles on this bike without even having to shim a valve.

The following users liked this post:
17_Muscle (12-31-2017)
Old 05-17-2013, 02:48 PM
52isntbigenough
Advanced

Originally Posted by Scaredofrain
I'm confused. What are we arguing about here??

Its fishing season man, trollers be trolling.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:50 PM
JWR
Intermediate

Highly doubtful Harley ever brings a water cooled engine flying under the Harley badge. But it only works on a V-Rod, and not from a build point, but again because the V-Rod is not a traditional Harley from a design point.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:59 PM
52isntbigenough
Advanced

Highly doubtful you know what you're talking about.

Quick Reply: It's a Porsche design people ..