VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

It's a Porsche design people ..

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 12:16 PM
52isntbigenough
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
That has to due with the uneven firing order, not whether the motor is water cooled. More info here.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-twin_engine
I get that, but its a major reason why many don't like the VR. Not that its water cooled, but it doesn't fit the traditional HD mold. Especially with sound.

I run a V&H 2-1 on my R and it went from sounding like a sewing machine to a V-Twin.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:29 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,406 Likes on 2,029 Posts

Originally Posted by 52isntbigenough
I get that, but its a major reason why many don't like the VR. Not that its water cooled, but it doesn't fit the traditional HD mold. Especially with sound.

I run a V&H 2-1 on my R and it went from sounding like a sewing machine to a V-Twin.

If your comparing to 99' and earlier bikes the new ones don't sound right anyway. That's the disadvantage of the newer bikes.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:33 PM
52isntbigenough
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I 100% agree. An Evo doesn't sound like a Knucklehead. And believe it or not, there's old HD dudes who refuse to believe the new bikes are "genuine" Harley.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:43 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,406 Likes on 2,029 Posts

Originally Posted by 52isntbigenough
I 100% agree. An Evo doesn't sound like a Knucklehead. And believe it or not, there's old HD dudes who refuse to believe the new bikes are "genuine" Harley.
I have to stop myself from feeling that way. I will never forget the first EVO I ever saw. The first thing I said to the dealer was "why did they make it look like a Virago?" I was the first Harley I ever saw that didn't have Black barrels.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:50 AM
Von Halen
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have enjoyed reading this thread.

I will be 50 next month. I just purchased the second Harley I've ever owned. The first one was the 65cc "dirt" bike, when I was a kid. Remember that one JWR?

I've only owned dirt bikes/enduro's up to this point. Just bought my first "road" bike. I chose the V Rod. When deciding what I wanted, I narrowed my choices down to Harley and Triumph. My Dad had a Triumph in the 70's. I have loved the V Rod since it's inception, and ultimately knew I'd end up with one some day. Even though Triumph made the decision a little more difficult, I went with my heart. People like JWR can call me a new breed of "biker", and a poser and whatever else they want to call me. I love motorcycles, and riding them. Have since my youth. I have the freedom to choose what I want to ride, and that's what I have done. Even though I could have afforded whatever bike I wanted, I bought a used V Rod that I fell in love with at first sight.

I have been around the "real bikers" most of my life. Most of them didn't walk into a dealer and plunk down the money on a brand new bike, even way back when. I don't buy the argument that Harley isn't Harley anymore because they have priced themselves out. Or because they are embracing technology. If a guy wants a Harley bad enough, he's going to get one, whether he has to buy used or not. So what if a guy is middle aged and wants to go buy a Harley. Some of you want to bust his ***** for that. But if he went out and bought a "metric" you'd bust his ***** for that! WTF? Be happy that someone is hopefully carrying on the tradition of owning and riding a Harley. Be happy that his kids or grandkids might get the bug because of that old middle aged ****er, and become future Harley owners themselves.

Old guys and old ways aren't going to keep this great American company afloat.

To quote the great AC/DC song, "Ride On"!

Old 05-21-2013, 01:31 PM
JWR
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Von Halen
I went with my heart. People like JWR can call me a new breed of "biker", and a poser and whatever else they want to call me.

Dude, you ain't no poser ! I'd be proud to own a V-Rod, go back and read my opening comments on this thread.

The Rods are Harley's greatest statement because it puts to rest all those who say Harley doesn't know technology. The kids coming up today have less skill at riding because they fall into the trap of false comfort zones. Whey learn how to avoid an accident when you think ABS can save you. The gimmicks are good, but motorcycling has been around quite along time with out them.

My only real point is don't ever force us to adopt someones standard, give the public options. And Harley does that. We can damn near get any gimmick we want now if where willing to pay for it, or even more to the point find we really need it.

Enjoy the ride brother ..

Old 05-21-2013, 07:01 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Harley is a big tent....there is enough room for ALL.

I like all bikes......and I never bash another guys/gals ride......but for me, I only feel "right" on an H/D.

If all the H/D's magically disappeared, I'd probably quit riding. It's not the marketing....it's the way they feel, the controls, and quality and workmanship.

Just my .02

~Joe

Old 05-21-2013, 07:25 PM
Wind Walker
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guy's I have several different Harleys and my new v-rod is my favorite. I bought it because it flows from front to rear and looks and runs equally as good. I do not want it to sound like a traditional Harley, because it's not! It's pure styling and engineering! I don't care if the older guy's like or not, because I loooooove it!

Last edited by Wind Walker; 05-21-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:58 PM
DirtNap
Road Captain

I prefer the Vrods American Hot Rod sound and American Hot rod looks over the traditional Harley sound and looks ,but that doesn't mean i dont love Harley's air cooled engines,sound or transitional bike styling .I love them all ,but i have never enjoyed riding any bike like i do my vrod .Like i told my 65 year old biker friend, that has to explain to me ever time we talk,that he road panheads ,shovels and now loves his evo .That my bike works for me ,i get what im after everytime i go for a ride on it .He also tells me that if its not broke don't fix it ,Then i tell him if it don't work for me ,then its broke. Im not a transitional rider im a vroder .

Old 05-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Wind Walker
Advanced

Well said brother!

Quick Reply: It's a Porsche design people ..