VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

Passenger question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012 | 05:42 PM
Danny229
|
Stage IV
Default Passenger question.

Hey everyone. Let me start by saying i'm new to this forum and to motorcycles in general. I recently purchased a 2012 VRSCDX Night Rod Special after being in a 2012 48 sportster. I found the Night Rod delivered where the sportster was leaving me unsatisfied. Anyways, I noticed if I get stuck at a redlight for a while that the bike starts to let off a good amount of heat. I also live in hot and humid south florida. I personally dont find the heat to be an issue as I love the bike and understand that sitting on top of a big engine in hot a$$ florida wearing pants is going to be hot. My question is will my girlfriend feel that same amount of heat sitting on the passenger seat? or is most of that heat felt because im in the driver seat centered over the bike? My girlfriend is anti-motorcycle and I feel that if i could take her for a couple spins around the block she might come around and "get it".. if not well then thats too bad for her. However, I know she will be miserable if she feels the same heat that i feel coming off the engine and pipes. I did a rough search for a simliar thread and apologize in advance if I missed it. I know people tend to get irritated if someone posts something thats been asked a million times. So if anyone has any input from either being on the passenger seat or having someone else in that seat it would be appreciated. I know i could just put her on and see if she feels it but i figured id ask here and save myself the trouble. Thanks a bunch guys. Appreciate it.

Old 08-04-2012 | 05:46 PM
ImNoPrince
Road Captain

You will get way more heat then the passenger , My 18yrold rides with me all the time and never really complained about heat except with her FF on during superhot days here in the city.

Also when that Fan Kicks in it also will blow some more heat your way but once it gets in clear air it goes straight up not back .

Old 08-04-2012 | 05:58 PM
Danny229
|
Stage IV

Sweet. I wasnt so much worried about the heat of being on a blacktop in pants and a helmet, that she wouldnt mind. It was that direct heat that the engine gives off. Thanks a lot for your information. Sounds like we should be good. I'll update you guys (if you care) as to whether or not she enjoyed the ride.Now i have to convince her to actually get on. She was in the keys a couple years ago and wrecked on a rental scooter and ever since then shes been against being on two wheels.

Old 08-04-2012 | 07:12 PM
god61021
Tourer

sounds to me like you need a new girlfriend. stop at a biker bar pick up a female that loves harleys and guys that ride them and hold on.

Old 08-05-2012 | 08:12 AM
ImNoPrince
Road Captain

Yea my wife ( of 20yrs) hasn't been on the V yet after almost 3 yrs of having it. We 1st started dating when I only had motorcycles and we had some sketchy stuff happen over those years. Her thought now is if we don't take one of the Jeeps she doesn't need to go. The Kid loves riding so I take her when I want company but riding solo does have it's privileges lol

Good Luck also if your looking for more Bike info stop over at 1130cc.com it's really active over there compared to here

Old 08-05-2012 | 10:19 PM
JayDRod
Cruiser

I agree... I ride mine in 105 deg F weather and stopping in a line of cars (when I have a clear line ahead of me -- but we can't lane split in Virginia!) is hotter than hell. I notice the air cooled bikes have bigger issues and sometimes pull off over heated at this one terribly long light. The water cooled bikes don't have a problem... but the engine no longer has the benefit of air flow over the engine (and through the radiator) so the fan will kick in and blow the heat right up onto you (not the passenger). I swear my right leg (inner thigh) was almost smoking one day after a particualry long repeated wait... traffic moved.. stopped... moved... stopped... as it cycled through light changes that are way too short.