VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

power commander

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 02:20 PM
emarino
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power commander

I'm a novice with working on bikes and have a little experience with cars. I recently bought my first Harley and I only installed a K&N so far. I'm shopping for exhaust now and will buy the power commander when I find the right exhaust. Is there a certain model I should purchase? I hope to purchase it from the same website that I end up purchasing my exhaust from if they sell it which I have no clue where that will be yet but where do you guys recommend buying it from? My main question here is how hard is it to install and program? Like I said, I'm a novice and really know nothing about programming except for being able to say what mods I have. I installed a power programmer for my truck and that was easy, I just plugged it in and answer a few basic question on the device which were "yes, no" answers. I don't know anyone locally with a dyno so I highly doubt I have that option.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:35 AM
CPT America
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by emarino
I'm a novice with working on bikes and have a little experience with cars. I recently bought my first Harley and I only installed a K&N so far. I'm shopping for exhaust now and will buy the power commander when I find the right exhaust. Is there a certain model I should purchase? I hope to purchase it from the same website that I end up purchasing my exhaust from if they sell it which I have no clue where that will be yet but where do you guys recommend buying it from? My main question here is how hard is it to install and program? Like I said, I'm a novice and really know nothing about programming except for being able to say what mods I have. I installed a power programmer for my truck and that was easy, I just plugged it in and answer a few basic question on the device which were "yes, no" answers. I don't know anyone locally with a dyno so I highly doubt I have that option.
Get either the Power Commander III (PC III) or the Power Commander V (PCV). Both are plug and play, and you can download maps directly from DynoJet's website, or you can find a bunch of maps on 1130cc.com for a multitude of exhaust/air filter combos. All you do is download the map to your computer, connect your computer to the Power Commander via USB cable and install the new map, DONE.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:32 PM
bret714
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CPT America
Get either the Power Commander III (PC III) or the Power Commander V (PCV). Both are plug and play, and you can download maps directly from DynoJet's website, or you can find a bunch of maps on 1130cc.com for a multitude of exhaust/air filter combos. All you do is download the map to your computer, connect your computer to the Power Commander via USB cable and install the new map, DONE.
+1 Exactly what he said. Both are very easy to use and work great

Old 08-05-2012, 11:31 PM
JayDRod
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The other alternative is to re-flash the ECU fuel mapping data in the tables directly using a reprogrammer and then you don't have to add any more electronica. Also, depending on what you get you can make other refinements as well (no limitations).

Some of these companies are pretty stingy letting their fuel mapping info out... they want you to buy the silly "Power Commander" or other such nonesense. Don't buy it. Directly reflash your ECU yourself the right way. Any add on it just sloppy engineering in my opinion. What do you do next mod... add on that companies little dongle box too?

No offense intended to anyone out there... just got to cut to the chase and get the best info out to everyone on here so we don't succumb to the "technical tricks" of the businesses out there that want to sell you something you don't need.