VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

Need a VROD owner's help

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007 | 10:51 AM
PowerCobra98
|
Road Captain
Default Need a VROD owner's help

Hi guys. If any of you have a parts manual for your VROD can you please do me a favor and give me the part number for your triple tree pinch bolts? Perhaps even size and thread too. I'm trying to find out if they are the same size as the pinch bolts in my 2006 Dyna.

I believe both bikes share the 49mm forks and was thinking that perhaps they shared the same pinch bolts as well. Reason being I want to use a front turn signal relocation kit I found that replaces the pinch bolts but it states it's only for VROD's.

I hope someone can help. Thanks.

Old 01-01-2007 | 10:59 PM
eazy
Road Warrior
Default RE: Need a VROD owner's help

I know that the pinch bolts for the VRSC are metric, it has an 8.8 stamped on the head. I wouldn't be surprised if the Dyna's are SAE. The pinch bolts are 10mm, I believe, which head-size wise will match a 3/8. If your Dyna has 3/8 pinch bolts, you should be able to use the relocation kit minus the bolts. You will need longer bolts, but you can get them at a hardware store rather easily.

Look at the pinch bolts on you Dyna. If you don't see a small 8.8 on the head, you know that they are different and the VRSC bolts will not work. If it does say 8.8, I will look harder for appropriate information. I tried to find something more definite, but could not to this point. Good luck, and let this section know what you find.

Old 01-02-2007 | 12:38 AM
PowerCobra98
|
Road Captain

My bolts are torx heads and they don't say anything on them. The kit I'm looking at is actually just a double sided bolt (picture below).

Is the difference between metricand SAE bolts just the head sizing or are there thread differences too?

In my parts manual it lists mybolt as part number 4351 with a thread size of 5/16-18 X 3/4. Do you think that matches up to yours or am I just hosed?

[IMG]local://upfiles/5333/6AEA897345BB4C27B90B804E0687D9BF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-02-2007 | 01:08 AM
kpreese
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: PowerCobra98
Is the difference between metricand SAE bolts just the head sizing or are there thread differences too?
Unfortunately, the bolt diameter and threads would be different. I'd still call the dealer to get the specs on the Vrod clamp pinch bolt before giving up. But it ain't looking good :-(

Kevin

Old 01-02-2007 | 02:04 AM
eazy
Road Warrior

Unfortunately I think you're hosed. With an 8.8 on the head, they are definitely metric. I'm pretty sure you will find that they are 10mm x 1.5 or 1.75. The 1.5 is the thread pitch, meaning that there is 1.5mm between threads.A 5/16-18 would mean that there are 18 threads per inch. It is a different thread pitch.

Another option is to use Harley-Davidson's relocation kit. If you look in my Gallery, you will see what they look like. That is what I was speaking of earlier, as you can simply change the bolts that pinch the tree, rather than having the pinch bolt be the mounting stud. I have seen both and I think the H-Ds look much better.

Another option is to drill out and re-tap your tree to the metric thread, if you are set on these. Caution should be exercised here though, as other accessories made for your bike willno longer bolt on if you want to change to something else.

Good luck.

Old 01-02-2007 | 02:10 AM
eazy
Road Warrior

Just looked at my Gallery and those pictures suck for looking at the relocation by itself. If you are interested, I can take a picture of the relocation by itself and upload it tomorrow.

Old 01-02-2007 | 10:08 AM
PowerCobra98
|
Road Captain

Well I've already got HD's relocation kit but they look like airplane wings. I wanted something that fits the signals tighter to the forks but still mounting off of the pinch bolt. I'm not really looking to go the way of the fork clamp so it looks like I'll just have to make due with what I already have and just wait and see if someone manufactures the kit for a Dyna.

Thanks for all of the help.

Old 01-02-2007 | 11:20 PM
eazy
Road Warrior

Your relocation seems to stick out farther than mine. I think mine are in tighter. I think you might be able to use the chromed pieces but change the bolts to fit your bike.I looked at H-D.com and since your '06 trees pinch similar to mine, they may work. You'd be really hosed if it were an earlier model. I took these photos, I hope they show what I am looking at. This is 57205-05

Old 01-03-2007 | 10:24 AM
PowerCobra98
|
Road Captain

Hmm...I don't know if the outside angle on our trees is the same but those mounts you have are definitely much shorter than the set I have. If the outside curves of the trees match up then those mounts may just work.

Thanks for the pictures and measurements you took. I think I'll have to check into this a bit further. Perhaps I'll go out to a dealer and see if they have those in stock and then just take one of the mounts out to a Dyna on the floor and see if they'll line up.

Old 01-03-2007 | 08:45 PM
eazy
Road Warrior

I'd be interested in what you find out. Hope it works.