VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

Saddlebag advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 05:11 PM
MI_Jim
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saddlebag advice Needed

My son has a 2005 V-Rod and I'd like to get him a set of throw-over saddlebags or some other type of removable bag. He lives out of state and nobody I know has one of these bikes so I'm turning to you all for help. Any specific advice would be greatly appreciated. Brands & model numbers would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-29-2010, 07:19 PM
tjvrodrick
Club Member
Old 11-30-2010, 10:33 AM
abi
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought a 2005 Vrod yesterday and it came with these bags on it.

http://redlinemotoparts.com/index.ph...roducts_id=981

I've never used them obviously but they seem pretty well built and looks like they would hold a lot.

Here are some on ebay also

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Expan...item255f2b5dbf

Last edited by abi; 11-30-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:17 PM
MI_Jim
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tjvrodrick
The HD bags look nice but they're pretty pricey when you add the mounting brackets & stuff. I'm not looking to spend quite that much, but thanks for the link anyway!

Old 11-30-2010, 05:59 PM
MI_Jim
Cruiser

Originally Posted by abi
I just bought a 2005 Vrod yesterday and it came with these bags on it.

http://redlinemotoparts.com/index.ph...roducts_id=981

I've never used them obviously but they seem pretty well built and looks like they would hold a lot.

Here are some on ebay also

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Expan...item255f2b5dbf
These are what I had in mind. Are you happy with how they look & fit the bike?

I see you're a fellow MI resident. I was really surprised when it was 50 degrees this morning. That all changed by the time I got out of work. Now its about 25 and starting to snow a little.

Thanks for the info!

Old 11-30-2010, 06:26 PM
abi
Tourer

I'm not sure about the fit or look. They aren't on the bike and I haven't even unloaded the bike from my truck yet. I was waiting for the rain to stop and now it looks like snow tomorrow. Great. If I get it unloaded tomorrrow I'll throw the bags on and take some pictures for you.

I'm guessing that was the last of our 50deg weather for several months.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:36 PM
MI_Jim
Cruiser

Originally Posted by abi
I'm not sure about the fit or look. They aren't on the bike and I haven't even unloaded the bike from my truck yet. I was waiting for the rain to stop and now it looks like snow tomorrow. Great. If I get it unloaded tomorrrow I'll throw the bags on and take some pictures for you.

I'm guessing that was the last of our 50deg weather for several months.
Some pictures would be super!

If your weather follows ours then the rain should stop soon...only to be replaced by snow. We're not getting any real snowfall, just a few flakes here & there. That's bad enough, though!

Old 11-30-2010, 09:18 PM
abi
Tourer

Originally Posted by MI_Jim
Some pictures would be super!

If your weather follows ours then the rain should stop soon...only to be replaced by snow. We're not getting any real snowfall, just a few flakes here & there. That's bad enough, though!
Where are you at? I'm just outside of Shepherd.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:08 AM
abi
Tourer

We got snow so the bike is still in my truck but I put the bags on and took some pictures for you. My opinion, I woudn't recommend these for a Vrod. It looks to me like you would need some kind of rigid mount system like other bikes to attach these properly and keep them away from the tire. There is no room between the tire and fender to run the lower straps to hold the bags in place. I'm not sure how the previous owner did it but I can see where one of the bags was rubbing on the tire. They look more designed for a sportbike where the straps can be fastened under the tail well above the tire.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:05 PM
MI_Jim
Cruiser

Originally Posted by abi
We got snow so the bike is still in my truck but I put the bags on and took some pictures for you. My opinion, I woudn't recommend these for a Vrod. It looks to me like you would need some kind of rigid mount system like other bikes to attach these properly and keep them away from the tire. There is no room between the tire and fender to run the lower straps to hold the bags in place. I'm not sure how the previous owner did it but I can see where one of the bags was rubbing on the tire. They look more designed for a sportbike where the straps can be fastened under the tail well above the tire.
Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures. I agree with your assessment that they're more suited for a sport bike or need a rigid mount. I guess that's why the HD bags require a solid mount. Too bad it's not included with the HD bags!

I live in Muskegon. We've had snow on the ground for the last two days. As always, the local tow truck & body shop owners are making money! I'll never understand why so many people seem to forget how to drive in the winter and need to be re-trained every year!

Quick Reply: Saddlebag advice Needed