VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

2008 Vrod differences

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 08:12 PM
dlrshort
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Vrod differences

Hi, guys. I've only owned Softails and Touring Harleys. My son is looking at 2008 VRODS and I don't know much about them. Could anyone give me the basic differences between the VRSC's offered that year. I am assuming that there are no motor/ power differences. Most concerned about control positions. Also wondering about exhaust. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:59 AM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_VRSC

That was a link that helped explain everything to me about the vrod models.

A lot of it will depend on what kind of riding he does and wants to do.

The 08's and on have the option for ABS which for me is important. 07 and up gave the wider tire and most importantly the 5 gallon fuel tank.

The AW gives a more upright seating position, forward controls and also a lot more options for aftermarket stuff. This tends to be the most popular for baggers or people doing longer rides.

The muscle "F" model has a lot of cosmetic look differences. It has more of a lean angle available, a little more power, and straight exhausts on each side, vs the traditional curved exhaust on the right side like the AW. It also has forward controls.

The DX has mids and straight exhausts on the right side. Its the blacked out model.

The thing to remember is the bike makes its power above 5000 rpm. If he tests rides it he needs to remember that. The acceleration off the line isn't as good as other HD's, but makes up for it once it hits its powerband and on the top end.

As I was considering my Vrod I sat on the AW and muscle. The AW was more comfortable and with more accessories available especially bags, was the choice for me. The muscle has the looks but the AW the versatality. I am getting a "Wicked" airbox for looks from Franklin in the 1130cc forum. He does amazing work and it really changes the look of the bike.

Hope this helps some.

MH

Old 04-05-2010, 06:27 PM
dlrshort
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MH thanks for the help!