VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

New V-Rod Model!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 07:28 AM
gen.labor
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New V-Rod Model!!

I have ridden all the V-Rod models several times and one thing I wish for is one that rides and handles more like the Dyna family. More lean with smaller turning radius. I would love to ride more aggressively but the drag bike (pun intended) stance sucks. I have seen a couple custom bikes that were turned into what I have described but I have yet to see anything from Milwaukee that fits the bill. Any one see or hear anything different?

Old 03-21-2010, 03:25 PM
DocJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a V-Rod that is more like a Dyna...I would suggest looking into a Fat Bob. It is a dyna, and already has the drag bars and forward controls. Do a little more to it for a more aggressive position, and tah-dah!

Oh...and you can upgrade some engine performance to it as well...

Old 03-21-2010, 03:39 PM
SauerKraut
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The long stance helps keep the front wheel down. Nothing you can really do about it.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:08 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts
Old 03-22-2010, 07:00 AM
dhweber1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by gen.labor
I have ridden all the V-Rod models several times and one thing I wish for is one that rides and handles more like the Dyna family. More lean with smaller turning radius. I would love to ride more aggressively but the drag bike (pun intended) stance sucks. I have seen a couple custom bikes that were turned into what I have described but I have yet to see anything from Milwaukee that fits the bill. Any one see or hear anything different?
The low speed handling of the V-Rod takes some getting used to because of the extra 5 degrees of rake. With just a little practice, you can turn in a relatively short radius though. It just feels wierd at first. The advantage that the V-Rod has over all of the other HD models is horsepower and acceleration. Also, that extra rake means high speed stability. I do wish they would have added one more gear with a lower final drive ratio. The fuel economy would be better and the engine has enough torque to handle a lower RPM at highway speeds.

My youngest son has never owned anything but sport bikes (some with 150 dyno tested horsepower or more) and after he rode my V-Rod he has been looking for a good deal on one.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member

All the VRSCs (minus the Street Rod, which is 40) have a 32 degree lean angle, where the Dyna's are between 28 and 32 degrees. So if you think the Dynas lean more aggressively, it's in your head.

Rake takes getting used to. The VRSCF has less rake than the others in production.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:20 PM
mike1158
Road Master

kinda out of my element here but...as for this whole v-rod / Dyna thing... i gotta say the Dyna Lowrider was proabably something along the lines of what you were talking about...a relatively small bike with the big v-twin engine...19" front wheel and mid controlls. I rented one for a day a few years ago and had a blast...so easy to handle and shoot around on. It was stock..i'd imagine one with a hopped up 103 would be a TON of fun

Old 03-22-2010, 08:33 PM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended

The VRSCR also has a little less rake than the other V-rods and an inch more ground clearance than the D, wich means almost 2 inches over the DX. But it's a mid control bike.
Keeping mind STOCK V-rods hit 60mph in 3 1/4 seconds, you don't really want a short front end. New sport bikers learn the hard way not to launch on a V-rod. They go over backwards. We also don't launch on a sport bike that has an extended swing arm. There no reason to deliberately take a beating!
The V-rod is what it is. It's a long low bike that handles the twisties far better than it has a right to. It's also a decent two-up over-nighter. That just happens to be a drag bike.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:43 PM
dhweber1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DesertSpeed
The VRSCR also has a little less rake than the other V-rods and an inch more ground clearance than the D, wich means almost 2 inches over the DX. But it's a mid control bike.
Keeping mind STOCK V-rods hit 60mph in 3 1/4 seconds, you don't really want a short front end. New sport bikers learn the hard way not to launch on a V-rod. They go over backwards. We also don't launch on a sport bike that has an extended swing arm. There no reason to deliberately take a beating!
The V-rod is what it is. It's a long low bike that handles the twisties far better than it has a right to. It's also a decent two-up over-nighter. That just happens to be a drag bike.
Well said. Very few V-Rod owners regret the purchase.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:32 PM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended

Originally Posted by dhweber1
Well said. Very few V-Rod owners regret the purchase.
Our bike picked us. I didn't even want to test ride a V-rod but my wife talked me into it. 25,000 miles later...

Quick Reply: New V-Rod Model!!