VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

Arnotts air ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 01:07 PM
dc vrod
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arv
Thanks, Ive not been on 1130cc yet, but was looking on here a couple of weeks ago and following a thread that seem to of gone bad for some reason.
Now Im a bit confused as to what system is the best..?

What is "best" is really matter of personal preference.

I like a simple system and I am not really into doing wiring work on my bike so I prefer the Progressives which are really almost a straight bolt on replacement of the stock shocks. I also really don't change my adjustments on my shocks much so these work for me just using a spanner wrench.

If you are into a lot of tech mods the Arnotts are great. Basically infinite adjustment range. Can slam the bike when parked for a cool look. They have a clean look since you can't see the springs. But they require some wiring and you have to hide the solenoid pump, I think most people put it in the air box.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:06 PM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The electrical work on the Arnotts is minimal and simple and well documented. The whole install is easy, just a little time consuming, about 5 1/2 hours of actual tinkering in my case. They only give you a good location for the compressor. The air distribution manifold manifold they give you an idea where to put it, but I have a narrow frame 06 D. It looks like they are using a wide frame SE. Their location didn't work for me.
I also didn't like running the wires and hose out the breather snorkel, so before I hooked everything up, I drilled the airbox in a location that wouldn't kink the air line and put in a 1/2" neoprene grommet. Looking back now, I probably could have put the air distributor somewhere in or on the back of the airbox. I'm satisfied with what I have.
They have an option of a stock switch that mounts above the horn or handle bar controls. I went handle bar for a bit more money. I think it was $75 more. I also went with black on everything instead of chome, saving about $60. After trying the system, I'm glad I went with the handle bar controls. The buttons are easy to reach and being able to adjust the ride to the road without taking your hands off the bars is just awesome. It's a dimension in riding you never knew you needed until you try it. Static springs just don't cut it anymore. I told my son he needs to look into getting the compressor and handle bar controls for his old GL500. It already has air shocks.
This system is so easy to put in, if you can't do it yourself, it's only a 6-pack job to get a buddy to help, 12 pack if you're feeling generous. Anyone that's done it before would be able to it in about 3 hours or less, depending on your exhaust pipes. I have the stock Night Rod pipes and had to pull the rear portion to get to the bottom shock bolt. On the D this also means pulling the passenger foot peg mount on the right. It's nice having an air rachet.
Read the instructions, plan ahead and there's nothing to it.
As you can guess by my avatar, we ride double a lot. I also ride to work as much as possible. Even solo it's nice to be able to soften up on crappy pavement. Not that there would be any of that in west Georgia.

Last edited by DesertSpeed; 03-15-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:16 PM
Arv
Road Captain

Desertspeed, appreciate that piece of info mate..
Did you feed wiring to switch via internal handle bars or go outside route?

Old 03-15-2010, 10:36 PM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended

Originally Posted by Arv
Desertspeed, appreciate that piece of info mate..
Did you feed wiring to switch via internal handle bars or go outside route?
I just followed the rest of the wires. There's a fuse that I put under the right front cover, next to the 40 amp infront of the coolant bottle. Then there's a relay that controls everything that I put under the left front cover. With everything that close to the battery, I had a lot of excess wire to cut off. I did leave myself quite a bit in case I want to move the relay. I was able to do all the wiring with a pair of cheapo electircal pliers.

I'd have to check the Vrod forum, but I think one of your home boys just got this system.
My mistake. He's in Falkirk.
There is a whole section of UK riders: http://www.1130cc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=89

(Dr. V-twin, sorry, I didn't know about you. Hope I didn't give anything away. That's the problem with owning a waterhawg, we get ignored a lot by the air-heads.)

Last edited by DesertSpeed; 03-15-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:46 PM
paolo4930
5th Gear

Hello, There is a section on 1130cc.com where vrodders can do group buys.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:23 PM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended

After the ride today, my wife's hiney approves of the Arnott air ride. She didn't have any discomfort at all. Sundowner seat, custom sissy bar (2" set-back over stock required!), Arnotts shocks.
Getting the ride height back is a big bonus to me. Now I can make the V-rod move like it's supposed to even with a passenger. No more peg draggin' or frame scraping.
Yah, we're happy.