VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

Just got my v-rod and got questions???

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 11:03 PM
datexastoad
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my v-rod and got questions???

Its a 2003 With 9k on it what dose hd do on the 10k service and is it worth 475.00 as the local dealer quoted me i would appericate any feed-back on the 03 I am enjoying it but would like to know about any snafus thanx da toad

Old 07-19-2006, 11:25 PM
eazy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Just got my v-rod and got questions???

Congradulations on the V-Rod. [sm=groupwave.gif]

This is a copy of the check list from my 5k service, and is taken from the Harley-Davidson service manual for my 2006. 2003 should be similar, if not the same. You can see the 10k. I will do my own 10k, but will have to take it back to the stealer for valve lash adjustment at 12k. Hope you can read this and it helps.

Take some pics and post them, we'd love to see your new V-Rod.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:36 AM
datexastoad
Stage II

Thanx 4 the reply I will post some pics soon da toad

Old 08-06-2006, 05:04 PM
HotRod
Advanced

Are you in Texas? I recently traded in my V-Rod. I called all around for the 10k check up. I found the cheapest rate was at the dealer in Temple. I believe I got out of there at $130 out the door. They quoted me $409 cheaper than my local dealer. Just a suggestion if you're anywhere near Temple. Prices may have changed now that they've been bought by Horny Toad. Congrats on your new purchase! I loved my V-Rod!!

Old 08-06-2006, 05:43 PM
eazy
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: HotRod

.... I loved my V-Rod!!
Why did you sell it?

Old 08-31-2006, 10:30 PM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master

I don't even see wheel bearings on this list. List looks very short to me.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:18 AM
eazy
Road Warrior

The wheel bearings for the VRSC are sealed. Individuals are to inspect the wheel bearings "any time the wheels are removed" and replace them "when wheel bearings exceed end play limit of 0.051mm (0.002")". My manual says to "check wheel bearings and axle spacers for wear and corrosion. Excessive play or roughness indicates worn bearings."

Old 09-01-2006, 11:07 AM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master

Checking the bearings should be on the regular maintenance list. I would insist on this because in my experience the bearings sometimes do not last as long as the tire. Why else would they remove a wheel? To change sprockets maybe?

The wheel bearings, swing arm, main turning gear, brakes, more and also everything else on the VROD list is on the Sportster 10,000K list. The Sportster bearings are sealed too.

This is probably the difference between a $450 maintenance and a $130. According to the VROD list you are showing, it is no more than a $130 job.

Old 09-01-2006, 08:15 PM
eazy
Road Warrior

My tires will be changed at about 6750. They are worn out now (6573) but I cannot change them for the next 2 weeks. I would guess that your Sporty tires last a whole lot longer than 6750 miles. This is just a checklist, the true amount of work is described in the service manual. Look again at the list-Check belt and sprockets is listed. Brakes are listed. The "rear fork bearings" are listed. (Wanna bet they mean swing arm in your terms?) The only thing you listed that isn't listed are the wheel bearings, but since most V-Rod tires don't make it to 10K there's no need to put it on a list because the wheel has already been off. But, if you had a brain, you would realize that the bearings and wheels are checked when the tires are inspected AT EVERY SREVICE INTRAVAL. Don't you have to turn the tires to inspect the tread? "Excessive play or roughness indicates worn bearings." Guess that would show up.

If you don't like the VRSC, that's fine, but don't start running your mouth about how little service is done to my bike and how the job that costs you $450 should only cost me $130. That comes off like you are trying to put my choice of Harley down.

Besides, all Harleys will have water-cooled engines inside 10 years. Probably 5. You had better get use to the V-Rod.

Old 09-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master

I was just rrying to help you out. Take it however you want, though. Check out the Sportster 10K maintenance list in the Clymer manual to see what should be done and a much clearer method of describing it.

Or, just keep your belligerent attitude with you while ridding that very nice V-Rod around. Good luck with that.[:@]

Quick Reply: Just got my v-rod and got questions???