VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

Bought a V-Rod Muscle, Got Normality Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 05:20 PM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by diehardboss
I bought a brand new V-Rod Muscle from the Harley dealership a week ago. After riding for a week, I notice a few things that I need to make sure is normal.

1. Riding at low speeds on first gear without twisting the throttle (going about 10mph), the engine feels like it's choking/stumbling/dieing, is it normal?

2. When switching gears (2nd to 3rd gear mostly) and then slowly releasing the clutch, I feel a slight grinding vibration on the clutch handle when releasing it, is it normal?

3. When going over speed humps/bumps, my rear tire springs make a sucking noise, is it normal?

4. When switching from 1st to 2nd gear, I accidentally go into Neutral. I tried doing it softly and I tried doing it quick and hard (a little better). But, I keep accidentally go into Neutral sometimes?

Even though, I've been riding for about 3 years on my used 250cc Yamaha motorcycle, and then buying a brand new motorcycle got me worried and sensitive about any lemon. I wonder if Harley-Davidson is good at handling defects without hassle?

Thank you for your help and time. I'm new to the forum, by the way.
Mine has all the same things. The shifting issue you speak of is just that you have to learn to shift it. The shifting is getting better as the bike breaks in or I'm learning to drive it.

I have to remember this ain't no twin cam...

Old 10-02-2009, 12:57 PM
diehardboss
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my new V-Rod Muscle, how do you know when the motorcycle break-in? They told me to keep it between 4k and 5k rpm, but when do I know I pass the break-in? Miles?

One more thing, how do you know if the break-in was successful? Details?

Thank you all for your help! I'm enjoying my first new Harley-Davidson motorcycle.

Last edited by diehardboss; 10-02-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Z06_Pilot
Tourer

#2-I believe this is normal. I will feel it every now and then when I upshift and apply throttle just before the clutch is all the way out. I did not start noticing it until I had the slipper clutch put on my '05. the new V-Rods come standard with it.

with the slipper, I found the bike does not like you letting out slowly on upshifts.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:14 PM
SHTFIT
Road Captain

Great bike. So under appreciated. I took my first ride on one back in June and loved it - surprisingly, much more so than most of the other bikes in the lineup.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:55 PM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z06_Pilot
#2-I believe this is normal. I will feel it every now and then when I upshift and apply throttle just before the clutch is all the way out. I did not start noticing it until I had the slipper clutch put on my '05. the new V-Rods come standard with it.

with the slipper, I found the bike does not like you letting out slowly on upshifts.
The few owners that have over 100,000 miles claim they never worried about break-in on the Revo. They just rode it. From gas/oil/filter/tires guys, I'll believe them. I didn't do anything special for break-in either, I'm just shy of 24k.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:06 AM
johnnyhumble
Tourer
Received 109 Likes on 24 Posts

By far the best motorcycle I have ever ridden! Harley's marketing of the bike leaves something to be desired as this is a bike that will produce smiles for many miles. My '08 DX is 6 months old and I have noticed a spring here or a tick there, but I follow the maintenance to the letter and know my techs well. Feel free to stop by the dealer and ask them about some of your "concerns", but by all means, get as much seat time as possible, because the more you ride the bike, the more you will love it.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:33 AM
guitarman777
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HRLY07
Is #1 problem the "V-Rod Stumble" I hear about? One writer said his girl's V-Rod was unrideable at parking lot speeds. Some have it worse than others and manage to get it tuned out some way. My 06 Nightrod was bought used and is smoother than my 07 Sportster. Service manager said it was worked on and I'm lucky. The experts here should have some advice about the "stumble" at low speed and how to fix it.

Hope you can get yours to be as smooth as mine...I love it. These are great bikes.
I never had a problem with any of the VRODs I test-rode, but like the other guys have mentioned, I didn't let it lug around at low RPMs.