VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

Pros and cons: Night Rod Special

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 06:31 AM
CarpeDM
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Pros and cons: Night Rod Special

Hello there, first I'd like to introduce myself because I'm new here. My name is Kyle, I'm 19, and I've been dreaming of harleys since I was 6. I'm currently riding a Buell but I'm looking to toss the starter bike andmove on up to a bike that suites me. Which brings me to the point of this topic.
There are not many vrod owners where I live, at all. Because of that I have not had a chance to talk with anyone about the pros and cons of this beast and I'm about a penstroke away from buying the night rod.

So, as a owner or previous owner, what has your experience been with the night rod? I'm looking to know just about anything you can think of.

Also, I've ridden the night rod before but only for about 40 miles. I'm 5'8 And about 170 lbs. What problems can I expect for longer trips? And what should I do to fix them?

Old 07-14-2009, 06:52 AM
tjvrodrick
Club Member

Just do it you will love it and never look back.
The v-Rods are the best Harley that harley has EVER made. + you just got to love that Fat A$$.
Have fun Ride Safe

Rick From San Diego / TJ Mexico
1992 flhtc
2002 V-Rod
soon to join the 260 club
Brembo Calipers front & rear
AW wheels
Metzelers
V-mods

Old 07-14-2009, 07:52 PM
HRLY07
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All pros, no cons. Fabulous bike--and just a terrific ride. You will love it. I'm the same size and find my 06 Night Rod just fine.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:25 PM
STEG
Road Captain

As a fellow young rider 21 as of tomorrow and 19 when i got the night rod special, I can recommend the Night Rod Special. Im around the same height as you are but around 250lbs.

The sundowner seat would be a great investment at 180.00$ its one of harley's cheapest seats and yields a great result. I would also suggest changing the bars, it will decrease stability(the bike already has a ton especially with a full gas tank) but will improve handling and comfort considerably. Also they aren't black when they're stock.

I would not recommend the windshield, its not really worth it for the price and really screws up the look of the bike. I bought one and it's sitting in a box in the garage. Shocks will improve the handling as well I bought the progressive 440's in black but im sure the difference between them and the 412's are marginal with a 300$ price difference but well worth the cost. The gas gauge is also a complete piece of ****, it is wrong at least 80% of the time, but thats what the odometer is for. You will also be way down on mileage if your changing up from a buell regardless of the bike. The revo runs well around 3500-4500rpms and sucks up gas comparatively, I started on an 883 and its a big difference.

Another thing you should be ready for is questions. You can ask any NRS owner you will get stopped at gas stations and at stop lights and asked a billion and one questions because people either have no idea why you're pumping gas under the seat, or that it's something that not many people have seen before.

-ride safe
STEG

Last edited by STEG; 07-14-2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: because I don't completely proofread
Old 07-16-2009, 10:46 PM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STEG
As a fellow young rider 21 as of tomorrow and 19 when i got the night rod special, I can recommend the Night Rod Special. Im around the same height as you are but around 250lbs.

The sundowner seat would be a great investment at 180.00$ its one of harley's cheapest seats and yields a great result. I would also suggest changing the bars, it will decrease stability(the bike already has a ton especially with a full gas tank) but will improve handling and comfort considerably. Also they aren't black when they're stock.

I would not recommend the windshield, its not really worth it for the price and really screws up the look of the bike. I bought one and it's sitting in a box in the garage. Shocks will improve the handling as well I bought the progressive 440's in black but im sure the difference between them and the 412's are marginal with a 300$ price difference but well worth the cost. The gas gauge is also a complete piece of ****, it is wrong at least 80% of the time, but thats what the odometer is for. You will also be way down on mileage if your changing up from a buell regardless of the bike. The revo runs well around 3500-4500rpms and sucks up gas comparatively, I started on an 883 and its a big difference.

Another thing you should be ready for is questions. You can ask any NRS owner you will get stopped at gas stations and at stop lights and asked a billion and one questions because people either have no idea why you're pumping gas under the seat, or that it's something that not many people have seen before.

-ride safe
STEG
Hey Steg. Welcome back from where ever you've been hiding.