VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

Stumble problem!! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Hal64hd
Road Master

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

If you can see mist in the tank when running then it sounds like a fuel flange. The part number on the flange should determine whether its a TSB flange or not. The superceded flange to correct the problem has a different part number

Old 06-12-2009, 10:35 PM
easyrider07
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Well Better news, lol. Bike is fixed, come to find out it was a loose fuel line in the sending unit.Only took them two hours at $80.00 an hour but at least its fixed. I've ordered a manual for the V-Rod as well as my 07 road king as we will be doing most all of our own service. I've never been afraid to get my hands dirty & love the satisfaction of doing something I've never done before & doing it well. I appreciate everyones help & input,

Old 06-15-2009, 04:20 PM
easyrider07
Intermediate

Guess I shouldn't have gotten too excited about the bike being fixed. After 20 miles from the repair the same problem is back & worse than before. I really dont have alot of faith in the service dept. they never actually gave me an answer about the flange being the updated one or not, they just said according to the VIN# it was not in the system as needing the repair. I plan on bringing the bike back to them, watching the repair being redone, confirm the part # of existing flange to see for myself if its in need of the updated one. I really dont think I should have to go through all this to get the bike repaired, I would like to think they had all the info they needed to make the repair, the customer shouldnt have to supply a service bulletin to the service dept...shouldnt that be in their computer? I guess if you want something done right you gotta do it yourself!!

Old 06-15-2009, 05:00 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"they just said according to the VIN# it was not in the system as needing the repair" that was an answer: not ALL of that year had a fuel flange that required replacement, just "some models" as verified by the VIN against the service bulletin as it sounds like they did (this is for them to accomplish at NO CHARGE to you but you can request a replacement at (negotiated since they have to remove the flange anyhow?) price! Ask them to go over it with you (it's not a secret!). That does not preclude the flange being the culprit, however; they should be doing a fuel pressure test (55-62 PSI if memory serves) to check the fuel system. Ask them what the pressure is. If they cannot give you an answer, then I will join you in bashing the Service Dept. myself! They also SHOULD be doing this new one at "no charge" since it's a return for the same job which in all probability they did not fix (sometimes happens even with the best intentions so give them the benefit if they are deserving of it~you'll know if...).

Old 06-15-2009, 10:20 PM
easyrider07
Intermediate

I hear what your saying. I guess at this point I feel I know more about the fuel flange & system than I should, lol. I've read thru alot of threads & I would rather be ridin than readin 8) I will give them the chance to fix it again, there is a small chance its something else but I still have my sights set on the flange. After more research I found how to identify a "Bad" flange, under the rubber boot on the fuel cell there are part #s mine are
61327-01
REV A 0073
The ones that you really need are the lower right 4 digits.Affected modules that need replacement are 2552(255th day of '02) through 2303(230th day of '03) so if im understanding this right 0073 would make it the 7th day of '03 making it eligible for the replacement.

Also there is a new part you can get to fix the flange also Part# 63533-41A (Fitting,straight,W/Sealant) this part is to replace the brass piece which is pressed into the flange.
Well I'll be talking to them tuesday am, hopefully the bike will make it there so we can get to the bottom of this annoying setback.Ohhh, & I will be sure to ask them what the fuel pressure was.I know you are right about the pressure 55lbs-62lbs, I know I read that somewhere too.thanks for your input.Will let you know what goes down 8)

Old 06-16-2009, 09:43 AM
easyrider07
Intermediate

Stoped in & talked to machanic, he said he was surprised it was even running the first time as the line was completely disconnected.Only 40psi when tested.They are going to look at it again to see whats up.He said there must be something wrong with the hose end in the way it connects...Hmmmm is't that what the updated flange was for?Will post back when I have more info, I'm hanging out there also so I can see for myself.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Hal64hd
Road Master

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

here is the link for the tsb it affects 2003 & 2004 models

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showpos...7&postcount=13

Old 06-17-2009, 11:23 PM
easyrider07
Intermediate

Well looks like the problem is finally fixed once & for all.After talking directly to the mechanic I was able to see the problem first hand & it definately was a faulty flange after all.They ordered the replacement part (next day air) covered the part as well as labor & refunded the two hours labor they charged previously.They said it was the least they could do because they should have caught it the first time.Needless to say I have restored faith in our dealership here in VT.Thanks to all the great people & information I accuired here on the HD forum as well as the 1130CC forum.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:35 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

About time, huh? LOL If you haven't already, pick up a service manual; even if you don't DIY, it is good for information for talking to the service rep! Bet it will run just fine now and right on time for the weekend!

Old 06-19-2009, 01:18 PM
easyrider07
Intermediate

Yeah, my son & I are planning to hit Laconia Saturday.Cant wait!! I am buying a manual for his VROD as well as my Roadking as we will be wrenching our own bikes from now on.Thanks again for all your guys input.Much appreciated.