VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

Looking to buy a Vrod, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 01:41 PM
dmshipley
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a Vrod, which one?

Hopefully you guys can help me make my decision. My goal is to be as informed as I can before I make this purchase. Thanks in advance for your time!

First a little back ground on me. I am 33 years old, 6'1 - 190 pounds. I have had three previous CBR's (92 F2 jet, pipe, front sprocket *** 93 F2 totally stock, got stolen before I could "tweak it" *** 2001 F4i - did nothing to it, got divorced before I could) at this time I am bike less. I would rate my riding level as novice; I have been riding for about 5 years, nothing more than in and around town as its all I could put up with due to being uncomfortable. I love to go fast but I'm not one to get "down" I'm more of a straight line speed guy. More than anything I like to enjoy the ride, love to be outside with the air rolling through my hair (gives me chills just thinking about it)

Overall I am looking for something that has ***** but is comfortable for a 2-3 hour trip without my back feeling like its going to fall off. I loved the 02 Vrod when it came out, so I started looking for one with low miles. After some research (I'm an IT guy so I research everything to death) I have found that the 06 line suits me better as many of the flaws in the 02 have been reworked. I am at the point now where I'm no longer as high on the Vrod as I was early on, now I'm focused on the Nigh Rod. However, I haven’t yet ruled out the Street Rod. I like the Night Rod because it seems to be more comfortable, it stretches me out more, love the front pegs and how its a lower profile bike, love the chrome option to me it looks more like a HD than the other two. I like the Street Rod because of the tank size and the color scheme(s) Again, I am looking for something that I can ride for 2-3 hours that when I'm done won’t put me in traction...

I visited AD Farrow in Columbus yesterday and they have the NR in Cobalt Blue with slotted wheels. I'm not sure of the color; I will say it was growing on me as I was there for a couple hours. What colors do you guys like? I'm not into getting something that everyone likes, I like to be different. I can say that the Vivid Black and the Black Denim are out. My issue is that I have spent a lot of time looking at the colors on HD's site and it doesn’t do the color(s) any justice. For instance, I called AD Farrow and they said they had the Cobalt in, wasn’t high on that color from viewing online but I wanted to go look at the bike and see how it fit me. As I said earlier the color was growing on me big time, looks good up against the chrome. This has showed me that you have to see each color in person in order to get the true feeling, since these are so hot dealers around town only have 1 or two and generally they have the black(s) I don’t see myself buying. Originally from viewing the colors online I was partial to the two tone fire-red vivid black (I know I said black is out, meant ALL black) two tone black cherry and black pearl (good things about the pearl) Also not sure which wheels to go with, the Cobalt they have had the slotted wheels, heard that these are tough to clean? I like the spoke but I can’t decide.

As I said I visited AD Farrow yesterday and looked at the Street Rod. The biggest thing I like about that line is the color schemes. They had rich sunglo blue, yellow pearl and mirage orange.

Then I have thought about waiting till after the July show and see what is on tap for 07, anyone heard anything? I've heard they are dropping the a and that there are going to be colors added and dropped, think chopper blue is being dropped, cant remember the others.

I am sorry to ramble as I have but I have so much going through my mind. I stoked about getting a bike, cant wait. I just want to get what I want; I don’t want to be getting rid of this in a couple of years for something else.

Thanks so much for your helpful insight. And yes, I am one of the "converts" from the street bike

Old 05-12-2006, 03:01 PM
eazy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Looking to buy a Vrod, which one?

Well, mine is chopper blue and an A.

I havn't heard Harley is dropping the A, and since it is the only one with true forward controls, I would be surprised to find that out.Others obviously know more than I, so I try to listen to everyone. Gonna call my dealership now, but they are probably going to tell me they don't know for sure. Colors come and go (besides Black) and I wouldn't be surprised about that. Wheel option is the 10 spoke offset-I like them a lot. Not much on the more or completely solid wheels. The Night Rod will sit lower, and since you want to stretch out, will probably be more comfortable for you, as the Street Rod doesn't have the forward highway pegs. I would like to have a larger tank, but I would not give up the forwards to have it. Lean is greater in the Street Rod, but if your straight, you don't need the big lean angles. I would personally recommend the A, because you won't have to change foot positions to shift and then ride, but if it's not an option, the Night Rod would be the next best thing. Good luck, let us know.

Old 05-13-2006, 02:37 AM
eazy
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: dmshipley

Thanks so much for your helpful insight. And yes, I am one of the "converts" from the street bike crowd that HD was targeting so it’s safe to say their focus groups worked.

Dave Shipley
dmshipley@gmail.com

By the way, my last bike was a Kawasaki Ninja, so I'm in that same boat. After switching to the Harley I can say for certain that I'm not sure why I didn't do it sooner.

Old 05-13-2006, 09:46 PM
Outlander
1st Gear

I had the '02 and was seriously considering an '06 as most of my concerns had been addressed, other than the tiny fuel cell.

There were plenty of dealerships willing to blow out V-Rods, but I ended up going with a Street Bob. It's not as fast, but from my experience so far it's been a much better bike. In fact, I'm enjoying the bob more than my FJR1300A, which I thought was one of the best bikes out there.

If you decide to go with a VRSC I would 1) wait until July, 2) check out the A in cobalt with the spoke wheel option, or 3) the vivid black night rod with chrome engine option. For some reason the latter two are the only VRSC's I've seen that I wouldn't feel compelled to throw gobs of cash at for accessories.

They'll probably be throwing incentives on them again this Winter. Last year there was a $1k rebate to dealer.

Old 05-15-2006, 05:09 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I understand that the '07 V-Rods will all come with an even fatter rear tire and all will have a 5 gallon tank. New colors have been added.

Old 05-15-2006, 10:15 PM
NightGlider
Stage I

5 gallon tank? I'm in.

Old 05-16-2006, 12:36 AM
eazy
Road Warrior

Damn, that will be difficult not to think of trading up.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:42 AM
jumpdawg
Stage I

When will the 07's be out.I'm in the market...Thinking about a VROD or Custom Built from a friend of mine in Statesville,N.C. I've had bikes all my life..Junk..MX..Pretty Good Junk..Son still races MX in the pro class and he is only 17..Dad needs a bad ride, besides $7000.00 pit bike.Oh yeah Mom has to ride with me on occasion.I really like the Vrod style..May see 1000 miles per year any suggestions.I'm gettin to be an older fart so I don't mind droppin' some change.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:25 AM
TowJam
Road Warrior

I havn't heard Harley is dropping the A, and since it is the only one with true forward controls, I would be surprised to find that out.
The A is not listed in the '07 color charts.

Hmmmm.....

Old 07-05-2006, 04:28 AM
eazy
Road Warrior

Yeah, I've reviewed the color charts and am damn surprised not to see the A, just the D and the R. Things come and go though.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a Vrod, which one?