VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

Need opinions: V-Rod as a starter bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 09:51 PM
Jarhead88
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need opinions: V-Rod as a starter bike?

I know that this topic has more than likely been beaten to death. I am looking at a 2003 V-Rod and I have some reservations. I am looking at selling my pickup truck and buying the V-Rod. I have pretty much zero motorcycle experience (just some friends ATVs and dirtbikes as a kid). I would not use the bike as my primary commuting vechicle. I pretty much have one shot at purchasing a bike as I have other financial commitments and I dont think I could buy a cheap bike and then upgrade later. I am 6'4 and weigh around 210lbs and in good shape. I am wondering if the V-Rod is too expensive or too much bike for a beginner? I really would hate to drop a Harley. My concern is that buying a lesser bike I will be unhappy with it in the future and that I will be unable to upgrade due to finances. I am planning on taking the safety course this summer and then buy the bike shortly afterwards. Please let me know what you think. The V-Rod is one sharp bike.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-04-2006, 04:06 AM
SeaHag
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need opinions: V-Rod as a starter bike?

I've ridden one once and really liked it. The power band is huge and VERY linear...meaning it doesn't surge on you. It just continues to go faster and faster the more you turn the throttle.

I find power like this is the best for inexperienced riders to get a feel for the clutch. Startign and stopping are the areas most beginners have problems with and having an underpowered or overpowered bike, I think complicates the matter.

The V-rod also sits nice and low and has a very low, stable center of gravity. As long as you approach the bike with respect, and don't get in over your head, I think it would be a fine first bike. Certainly better mannered than the crotch rockets I've been on.

I started 'trying' to ride at a real young age, but I didn't really get good at it till I'd mastered driving a stick in a car. One of the crucial aspects of motorcycling is feathering the clutch and getting a feel for slipping the power to the wheel without killing the motor. So if you have experience driving stick in a car, you're one step ahead. If not, I'd suggest borrowing a friends stick shift car and practicing just a bit so you get a feel for slipping the clutch.

Good luck.

Old 05-04-2006, 02:58 PM
eazy
Road Warrior

A V-Rod has a lot of power, and if you don't respect that, you can, and probably will, hurt yourself. I'm not trying to scare you or turn you away from the bike, I just want you to know the facts up front. I owned a crotch-rocket first, and it put me down, twice. That is because I didn't respect the abilities of the bike, and thought too highly of mine. I think the V-Rod is a great bike and would say "go for it", as long as you take your time and don't try to get ahead of yourself. Starting and stopping are big things, but once you get moving, cover the brake. The bike will accelerate faster than your skills will allow at the beginning. Like I said--TAKE YOUR TIME--and you should be able to have a wonderful time with a new and fun piece of American transportation. Good luck, and when you learn more skill, then you can follow my motto.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:48 AM
rainierexpress
5th Gear

I'm a new rider and have a 2005 V-Rod. I took a 2 day safety and training class so I could get my motorcycle endorsement. They supplied the bikes for the class. I had a Honda Rebel which is a 250 cc cruiser. Believe it or not, I find the V-Rod much easier to ride than the Honda. Looks like you are going to take the class, so that is the best way to start. The V-Rod has a very smooth power cycle. You can start out slow and stay slow as long as you want. What the other experienced riders said about the V-Rod is exactly right. Start out slow and get used to working the clutch and brake. I have been staying in my neighborhood just practicing all the turns and stops I learned in the class. For now, I'm only venturing out onto the open roads very early when traffic is light. I really think this is working fine for me. I was very nervous about getting such a powerful bike to start with, but after about 100 miles on it, I am feeling in control and am getting a good feel for the mechanics of riding. Good luck to you.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:56 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

The class will help, and having the bike in hand while taking it will too. You will try out your learnings on your bike when they are the most fresh. Ride your subdivision a lot the first couple of days. All the stops and turns will give you the real important skills. Highway running is easy.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:45 PM
tedali2004
Tourer

After the course, you can rent a V-rod before caughing up big money.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:21 PM
N.Franklin
Stage II

Im looking at buying a VRod as my first bike while here in Iraq. I think education is the best tool for anything, taking a riders course before you leave the dealership not only familiarizes you with riding but can get you cheaper insurance and rebates depending on the dealership or brand of bike. I took the class in Hawaii in 03' just for the license but never bought the bike, so Im gonna do it again when I get back next summer.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:02 PM
eazy
Road Warrior

You can never be too safe on a motorcycle, might just keep you out of trouble. Like I said back in May, this bike can probably hurt you faster than most other Harleys. Not that any of the others could not hurt you, it's just that the VRSC revs higher, compresses tighter, and runs faster, so it's reasonable to assume that it could hurt you quicker. Take care of the bike and respect it and it will definitely take care of you.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:25 PM
StreetSalvation
Cruiser

I have driven stick cars since I can remeber ( legall and not-age wise) I do believe that helps. I also have a little exp on atvs and dirt bikes and such. wich also helps. I took the beg. ridder's course that also helped. It is said, and i believe, if you want to learn how to drive a stick drive a more expensive car then cheaper car because of the clutch. It is also said if you want to learn how to play the guitar buy a better one because the sound of the cheaper one will scare you away. So... I bought a harley for my first bike. I won't have to upgrade anytime soon, if ever. It rides nice so it is enjoyable. I really dig the look of it. If you respect it and enjoy it and treat it as something that can kill you, you should do fine. If you are gonna do something just do it! The V rod looks amazing i can only imagine what it is like to ride!

And Franklin Thanks for your service in Iraq. As a brother in arms stay safe, keep your head low and eyes up!

Old 08-25-2006, 10:05 AM
NRS
6th Gear

I've been looking at bikes for about 20 years now and really never had the money for what I wanted. I've looked at more than I can count. When the V-Rod first came out I had my mind made up. It was for me. It's taken a long time to save the money for one. Mine should be in next week or so the dealer says. I rode a bike a lot when I was younger but haven't been on one for any length of time for 20 years so this is like starting over. I can't think of a nicer ride to start over on. Can you?

NRS

Quick Reply: Need opinions: V-Rod as a starter bike?