VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

Need opinions: V-Rod as a starter bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 04:01 PM
sal1269
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need opinions: V-Rod as a starter bike?

I started out on a Honda cx500 to make sure that I was going to enjoy riding before I put down the coin for a Harley. After riding for a year on the Honda, I rented a Fatty and a 2004 V-rod. I bought the fatty because hitting the rev limiter in 3rd before the bottom of the on ramp at almost a buck ten, I felt I would get into trouble on the v-rod. Now I have to upgrade the fatty because it doesn't have the get up and go that I want. Should have bought the v-rod!!

Old 01-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Nikker1985
Advanced

All Right.
1) You do realise that buying a big bike as a starter does not necesarily mean that you are going to get yourself killed. Just be carefull.
2)I am the proud owner of a Night Rod Special 240 rear tyre matte. Before that, I had only riden enduro bikes. Small, agile fast ones. I had riden Harleys once or twice but had zero experience.
3) This bike is heavy indeed. But the weight distribution is so great you will definatelly not feel how heavy it is. I can ride through heavy traffic really easilly, and Iam reminding you, before that I only had enduro bokes, the best thing to ride through heavy traffic.
4) Fast bikes...well... there is a street, a road. The road is made to go with 100km/h or 60mph. Would you rather doing 100 with a bike that is not made to go up to 100? Cause once you take that road you ll go up to 100 wether you are riding a scooter or a street bike, street bike is safer. It grips, it accelarates, it brakes it turns.

My opinion is..go for it. GO FOR IT. And I promise you after you get it, you ll F'ing forget all about cars and start using it as a daily commuter.
Riding a car is like having sex. Riding a bike is like having unprotected sex.And everyone knows that unprotected sex is much better. Except from people who aren t getting any.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:20 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

if you like the sport bike look. not much out there for upgrades. two up riding is a pain.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:54 PM
jwb47
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know how many people I have seen who run out and buy a 500 or 600 cc since all they do is cruise the local streets or only go about 20 miles on the highway and with in 6 months they are wanting to up-grade to a bigger more powerful bike. just because a bike has a more powerful motor dont mean its harder to learn on . buy what you want take your time and all will be well. try doing a burn out for your buddies with your new bike and Im sure it will end up in the crash section of you tube.

Old 01-20-2007, 04:23 PM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: jwb47

I dont know how many people I have seen who run out and buy a 500 or 600 cc since all they do is cruise the local streets or only go about 20 miles on the highway and with in 6 months they are wanting to up-grade to a bigger more powerful bike. just because a bike has a more powerful motor dont mean its harder to learn on . buy what you want take your time and all will be well. try doing a burn out for your buddies with your new bike and Im sure it will end up in the crash section of you tube.
mainly because it was my first street bike and I bought it new and 8 months later I am buying a used HD in a couple weeks for my second bike and giving this 1 to the wife for her firstdon't get me wrong,it's a nice little bike but I'm ready for more and 1 day end up with a v-rod

Old 01-22-2007, 05:45 PM
doncash
Stage IV

I bought a 2006 V-Rod Night Rod as my first bike for pretty much the same reasons, with my only experience as dirt bikes as a kid. It was what I wanted, couldn't afford to buy something lesser, then try to trade up later. EVERYONE on forums told me I was crazy and would kill myself. Too bad - did it anyway, and have never regretted it. First though, put on the ENGINE GUARDS, because you will DROP IT and you will be SICK! Dropped mine 6 times the first week but no scratches due to the guards, andput on 200 miles before the MSF class. After that Iinitially kept to backroads at wee hours of the mornings so not much traffic.

It is alot of bike, but if you have only one shot, do it. Just be safe and not stupid. Your only other consideration is that you might be tall for this bike, and sales guys may tell you the same thing, so go sit on several.