VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

Should I get it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 07:41 PM
f6noob
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get it?

Probably resounding yes... but want to make sure.

I used to have a Yamaha R6 which was a riot.

I then picked up a 2005 Dyna Super Glide FXD. It's carbed so I put a stage 1 kit on it with a V&H 2in1 pipe so it sounds awesome. The forward controls are nice as well. Threw some saddlebags on and it's pretty nice. The problem...

I love the look of the V-ROD. The Night Rod Special specifically. They have one at the stealer and I think I wanna get it and sell my Dyna (200 0 miles on it).

Anyone have any feedback on the bike, ride, sound, etc?

I've read that the Clam Shell seating is uncomfortable - I'm 5'8" so will that be ok? If they had mid mounts that would be nice - don't know if they do - so much power, nice to have the feet right down there. LOL.

Seems like they are rock solid mechanically and are they SWEEEEEET to look at. I can 't think of much to do to it. Maybe change the exhaust eventually - do they sound wimpy out of the dealer? Probably - I just haven't had a chance to ride one and dumping money on it purely for the looks and feeling seems... welll... irrational LOL However it wouldn't be the first time I've done something like this - however instead of researching after buying, i'm trying something new and soliciting feedback from all the V-Rod fans. If you have experience on the Dyna let me know what you thought of the ride diff as well.

Much appreciated.

[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 04-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Billydj
Cruiser
Default RE: Should I get it?

Rock solid bike in every respect. If you ask what we think here, we're all bias...we own the beast so of course we dig the ride.

Uncomfortable. Nope. I'm 6'3" and have zero complaints.

Take the head turner out for a ride. Ifyou don't buy it...I'd really and I mean really be surprised. And...you are right...as with any HD, the exhaust needs to be swapped out.

Go spin the V.

BillyD

Old 04-11-2008, 08:32 PM
rjrivero
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The praying dog riding position isn't for everyone. The control swap is really not difficlt, but a bit pricey. You're best off looking for someone who wants to swap D mid controls and you can swap them strait up. Every once in a while you'll find someone who wants to make that trade (check out www.1130cc.com)

I have a set of Rizoma Drag bars on my 2003 and the seating position is more aggressive than the DX. I'm only 5'8" but I like that riding position.

The stock exhaust sounds like a sewing machine. You can remove baffles pretty easily or have them done for you at www.v-mod.com

Add a fuel management system and you're all set.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:36 PM
STEG
Road Captain

I went out on a limb and bought it over the winter solely on looks as you are contemplating, and a salesman's word that it would be great (who owned an a and put 30,000 miles on it in less then three years and bought a second one this year) and coming off of a rigid mount 883 sportster this bike was the smoothest running most powerful thing ever with the meanest looks and a cool riding position.

The clam shell position is uncomfortable but then again different riding positions put different amounts of strain on different muscles black R model sportster bars fix that issue and only 1 cable needs to be switched. But its so mean looking, the riding position has an "im gonna get you" look to it (and you do get them, very quickly). It is also well balanced. the 240 is a bit stubborn in the turns but looks good and can be swapped out for an even better looking 260 with no modifications on the stock rim, the seat height is nice too. Im also around 5'8 like you

Ironically enough i kind of like the exhaust note on the DX pretty quiet at idle and cruising and sounds like its running on diced lions when you crack it open. The silver brushed cans i could do without but they are growing on me...

good luck and hope you get it, you wont be dissapointed

Old 04-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Vrod Mike
Advanced

The only way you can answer your question is to rent one and spend the day on it. All of us here will tell you to buy it because we have one and love it, but you need to ride one for a while and make the decision yourself.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:11 PM
NightStar
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can locate a D. they have mid controls but they are somewhat hard to locate. Otherwise Kossman makes a mid control mod
that is around $450 and not too hard to put on. The clamshell postion is very tiring, and even those who thought they could handle it want to swap out to mid controls. Any vrod is excellent, I prefer my D.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:41 AM
kerrybro
Intermediate

I had an R6 and sold it to stop driving so fast and went to a 1200 sportster. I now have an 08 night rod special and wouldn't trade it for nothing !!! It is a sport bike in disguise and the looks are astounding as well as the rider positioning is great for me. I hope I helped make the right decision for you !!!

Old 04-12-2008, 08:47 AM
f6noob
Intermediate

that did it... i'm going to get one. Was on the way to the dealer this morning to order... but found a few on the WWW so... think i might chase down one I see on eGay that is close to the border. Don't know the policy of posting information from other sites but the bike is there and looks good - 08 V-ROD Night Rod Special with lots of little mods done. however i still like the look of the original headlight. Think i'll have one by the end of the week!

thanks again. I've convinced the wife to keep the Dyna - gonna move the controls back for her.

anyone need a well stored, nice riding 1996 1200 sportster?

Old 04-12-2008, 11:56 AM
triple buzz
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

We are taking a beating on this one over at the Dyna section. Some people just can't be nice.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:20 PM
guitarman777
Road Captain

Most comfortable ride Harley has in my opinion. That seat is amazing.

Quick Reply: Should I get it?