VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

V Rods That Good

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:53 PM
bryon703
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: V Rods That Good

The best bike that H-D sells in my opinion is the V Rod; theengineering quality that whent into these V Rod model is bar-none.
Before I bought one, I always wonderd whyH-D brought out the V Rod; most dealers do not konw much about them.

Runs cooler, water cooled, more power, higher rev limit, more reliable power plant, quicker/faster than any other model.

Have 1855 miles on my 200 HP V Rod with no issues.

[IMG]local://upfiles/25504/9623B0097F1E48B1924611AE19B38BC7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-22-2008, 09:36 PM
NightStar
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bryon703

The best bike that H-D sells in my opinion is the V Rod; theengineering quality that whent into these V Rod model is bar-none.
Before I bought one, I always wonderd whyH-D brought out the V Rod; most dealers do not konw much about them.

Runs cooler, water cooled, more power, higher rev limit, more reliable power plant, quicker/faster than any other model.

Have 1855 miles on my 200 HP V Rod with no issues.

200 hp ? trask turbo = 160hp

Old 04-22-2008, 10:03 PM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended

First, he has an SE, a 1250. Second, I'm guessing big bore kit. Third, I'm betting he has a blue bottle on the other side. That adds up to 200hp at the rear last I heard.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:12 PM
rjrivero
Tourer

Task Turbo at 8 pounds of boost may = 160HP.

Trask Turbo on Weisco 1320 with 12 lbs boost = 200+ HP

You can cram as much air as you dare into the motor. When you approach 200HP, you're on the jagged edge. The cases can't hold much more than that before grenading themselves.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:19 PM
bryon703
Cruiser

This SE made an (8.5 PSI) easy 165-169 max at the wheel; every dyno run the numbers improved a little, I have a water/methanol injection systemon it to cool the turbo intake temps down on mid-to-high RPM runs and keeps the carbon off the internal engine parts.

When I remove the intake and look down at the valves, they are as clean as new;the pistions/spark plugs looks like new as well.

This system is the safest way to get more power instead of NOS route, I feel a major powerdifference from when it is off, and from when its on.

On my past turbo rides this system has added about 40-50 HP depending on meth/water mix.

I alsoplunmbed incoolant lines to the turbo cartage as well for better heat dissipation, and getting cool oil supply from the cool side of the motor instead of the hot side, like at the oil filter housing as per Traskinstall instructions.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:39 PM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended

Not many that can set that up properly. Kudos! I have cousin that used alcohol/water injection on his supercharged pro-stock Camaro. He had no problem with hot-lapping the car.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Tbones
Intermediate

bryon703- I'm about to embark on a Trask Turbo myself. Any tips or info you can share would be appreciated. Thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/57708/89F102CE7C724B7BAA8B4353F4B7382E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-23-2008, 10:02 PM
bryon703
Cruiser

This W/I is very easy to dial in beacuse it is all computer controlled; uses boost PSI to inject w/m into the intake.

Tbones, The first thing is to tap into theleft (shifter side)side of the oil cooler line for the oil supply for the turbo. This left side is the cool side.

Look in your V Rod manual in the oil section, there is aflow diagram with temperature color flow; hot oil comes from the oil filter housing into the oil cooler on right, than flows threw oil cooler to the right side back into the motor.

Trask is gettingits oil from the oil filter housing, this is the hottest point on the V Rod motor, cool oil is better for a turbo.

The secondthing is that this turbo is a dual ball bearing oil and water cooled; this kit is not using the water cooling feature, sence the V Rod is water cooled, decided to plumb coolant lines to the turbo cartrage.

This is a cheap do-it-your-self job, I used chromemite lines, not cheap; one could uselesser $$$lines if needed.

Buy a shop manual if you do not already have one.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:21 AM
Tbones
Intermediate

Bryon703 - Ok, sounds good. I already have a manual and I'm familiar with the oiling circuit on the V-Rod. Does this W/I system come with the Trask Turbo or did you purchase it seperate from the kit? I talked to Nick a little about the turbo, I wanted to find out if the Power Commander will work or if I had to get the race tuner. He said the PC would work and will send me a map. Of course, without a dyno in my area, I will probably have to old school and tweak the map as I go along. You plumbed in the coolant system into the cartridge? I am assuming that is the unit on top of the intakes. I downloaded the installation PDF file from the site, it looks fairly straight forward. How long to do run the bike at idle before you shut down? With the cooling system you installed, does this eliminate having to idle for a bit to let the turbo cool down before you shut down the engine? Anyways, thanks for the info it is appreciated. I look forward to putting this baby on the scoot I'm getting the same kit that you have, the chrome system. I'll take pic's once I'm done and post. I'm also purchasing the electric shifter by Pingle Once I finish with that, then it will be on to modifying the suspension (shocks, springs etc.) and install the wide tire kit. I figure by the time I'm done with this 05, it should motate down the rode and put a smile on my face Thanks again for the input. Cya

[IMG]local://upfiles/57708/3C6388CC0E4043479D013787A2C2B937.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-24-2008, 02:31 AM
Tbones
Intermediate

Bryon703 - Another question for you. I noticed on your "pic" in your earlier post a container hanging off in front of your radiator. Is this part of the W/I system you are talking about? By the way, nice looking V-Rod You pic also shows a cylinder just below the exhaust pipe, is this part of the system you installed on this bike? I also noticed no blueing on the exhaust pipe. Does this kit have heat shields? I can't tell by your photo whether or not I'm looking at shields or what. Again, thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: V Rods That Good