VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

2 up on a Rod?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:52 AM
CDG306
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 up on a Rod?

Hello. I too am thinking of getting in to a VRod. The dealer here has a sweet 08 Nightrod Special, black with the orange strips. My last ride was an 03 ZX9R which was a hell of a lot of fun to ride....by myself. 2 up was no fun at all for more then about 30 min. How is passenger comfort on these bikes? Are there any seats that would be better suited for 2 up? I have also considered a used VRod as well but I love the fact the new 08s have 125 hp.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2 up on a Rod?

I know there are folks who have gon all out and turned them into baggers, big a cushy... there is an aftermarket out there.

The stock, with a sissy-bar and pad, should be good far a few hours... not sure I'd do houndreds of miles on that setup though.

Hopefully someone can give you some better info...

Bottom-line, it's not really a passenger oriented ride.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Chrome Sweet Chrome
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I am going to be brutally honest here. I sold my Road Star a year or so ago and bought a V-Rod...due to the fact that I love the looks and love the performance. However, it is not IMHO a good two up bike for any long hauls. Fine for bar hopping around and day rides with the ability to get off every 45 mins to an hour.
I put the sundowner seat, rear floor boards, etc. and did basically everything I could to turn it into all it could be for my wife's comfort. When you do this to a V-Rod it virtually destroys the drag inspired looks in my opinion.
Well........... now I have a Road King Classic AND my VRod and there's no way my wife wants any part of being strapped to the back of the VROD ever again. Granted I ride the two bikes differently but if you're going to want to take long hauls all the time you might want to rent one for a few days and give it a go. Then decide. Good luck.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:49 PM
eazy
Road Warrior

I've gone 406 mileswith a passenger, although it was with the Sundowner seat and a large sissy bar. There are bikes that are better for touring and passenger comfort but none that compare when you also include the performance aspect of the Revolution engine.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:52 PM
HarleyGirl76
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking as a passenger, I've done 100 miles or so, but it's not nearly as comfortable as the touring bikes. As the driver with my boyfriend on the back, made it about five miles and traded places. He distracts me by holding on in all the wrong places. I agree that the Sundowner seat is much better than the stock.

Lisa

Old 02-06-2008, 08:09 PM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended

Every single weekend we can!!!
We have the D, not the DX. The D has better ground clearance. If I have all the numbers right, the Dhas the second highest ground clearance while also maintaining the second lowest seat height.We also have a Sundowner and a custom sissy bar. The biggest part is moving the backrest back 2". Ours is also up 6". Like Eazy, we have also done 400+ miles in one day a couple of times. This is also where the D stands out: mid controls and the allimportant highway pegs. There have been times on the Interstate when I have been on the pegs and my wife has "borrowed" the mids.I don't know about the other models, but the VRSCD Night Rod is a true crusier. It probably borders on sport tourer or sport cruiser. Maybe it's the only true sport cruiser? All I know is my wife loves the back seat and we put about 4,000 iles on the bike riding double last year. Even with the crappy weather so far this year, we are close to 300 miles this year. The only other change we will be making is to add adjustable air suspension.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:15 PM
eazy
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: HarleyGirl76

As the driver with my boyfriend on the back, made it about five miles and traded places.
[sm=laughingsmilie.gif][sm=laughingsmilie.gif][sm=laughingsmilie.gif] [sm=ttiwwp.gif]

ORIGINAL: HarleyGirl76
He distracts me by holding on in all the wrong places.

Lisa
I'd imagine that he'd agree that I doubt he was holding on to the "wrong" place.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:20 PM
eazy
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: DesertSpeed

There have been times on the Interstate when I have been on the pegs and my wife has "borrowed" the mids.
My Ol Lady would kill to be able to stretch out a little more some times. She doesn't complain though, so it may not be as bad as I make it out to be.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:56 PM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended

My wife is only 5'4" but the tall sissybar gives her room and options to wiggle around. She also has enough experience to know that when I move I need the mids "right now" and can get back on her pegs faster than I can get off the hiway pegs.

Oooops, my bad. I forgot you don't have mids.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:11 PM
whylee
Road Warrior
Received 346 Likes on 246 Posts

I only rode around with my wife for about 10 miles, but it was enough to know that the NRS is not meant for 2 up riding. Maybe with a different seat and back rest, but I did not buy this bike to turn it into something else. There are better choices if your main goal is riding long distances 2 up.

Quick Reply: 2 up on a Rod?