VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

SOCAL Riders read this!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 12:45 PM
socalmoe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOCAL Riders read this!!!!

Isee this guys on their ST1300 scoping out riders, speciall on week-ends.
WATCH OUT!
Guess where me and my boys wont be going any more.
We will spend not a penny in that area.

Anaheim police have gotten serious about loud bikes.

California - The thundering roar of motorcycles racing up and down Imperial Highway could be reduced to a whisper, thanks to a crackdown by Anaheim police and a little-known federal law.

Motorcyclists with illegally loud exhaust systems began receiving citations on Imperial Highway in Anaheim Hills after weeks of warnings.

Anaheim Police Sgt. Mike Zigmund gave a final notice to about 60 bikers at Keno's restaurant the weekend of July 14.

"We told them that this was the last warning," he said. "They were pretty cooperative."

Armed with a decibel meter, resident Ellie Oliver measured the sound of passing bikers. "The noise was deafening," she said. "I recorded readings of 115 to 135 decibels," – 34 to 54 points above the city's 81-decibel exterior noise limit.

This month, Zigmund and his crew took their own readings and began citing bikers.

"The meter really isn't necessary," he said. "The courts have said that most cops can tell which pipes are legal and which aren't."

Anaheim resident Todd Hamo, a representative of Noise Free America's Orange County chapter, said decibel meter readings "have been called into question in court."

"But," he said," there is an Environmental Protection Agency system that removes all ambiguity when enforcing (illegal exhaust pipe) noise."

Known as the label-matching system, the federal regulation requires manufacturers to place two labels on every motorcycle they make – after it has passed a noise emissions test, at the factory. One label is on the chassis, the other on the muffler. Each contains a code that is unique to the make and model of the bike. By comparing them, officers can determine at a glance whether the vehicle has the appropriate exhaust system.

If it doesn't, or if there is no label, the motorcycle is in violation of Section 4909a(2) of the Noise Control Act of 1972.

Zigmund had been unaware of the EPA regulation, but looked it up on
www.noisefree.org.

"This might explain why some of the bikers have said that dealerships will not put after-market pipes on their bikes anymore," the police officer said. "They have in the past. Just because the dealer installed them, doesn't mean they are legal, though."

Tustin resident Gordon Pearson has a noise problem in his neighborhood, too.

"Our whole society would be so much better," he said, "if we would just enforce the laws we have."

Source: The Orange County Register

Taken from bainbucket.com

Old 01-05-2008, 01:59 PM
eazy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SOCAL Riders read this!!!!

ORIGINAL: socalmoe

Known as the label-matching system, the federal regulation requires manufacturers to place two labels on every motorcycle they make – after it has passed a noise emissions test, at the factory. One label is on the chassis, the other on the muffler. Each contains a code that is unique to the make and model of the bike. By comparing them, officers can determine at a glance whether the vehicle has the appropriate exhaust system.

If it doesn't, or if there is no label, the motorcycle is in violation of Section 4909a(2) of the Noise Control Act of 1972.
Guess you won't find me in California. When the frame was changed out the label was never put back on. I didn't remove it but I doubt that I'd be able to get away with that---I'd still be in violation. Guess you'll have to see me elsewhere.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:19 PM
sidelvar
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats is absolute crap. I don't live in Cali so tyhank god but i when i get my bike i dont want to have to change pipes or something just to go to cali with it. I will have super loud pipes, if for no other reason then its safer. Yes people may be annoyed but atleast they hear you comming. I have noticed more bikes on the freeways that way than keeping my eyes open. I look for bikes and i miss them sometimes, I want to see what people are riding and how they are customizing them.

Absolute crap.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:36 PM
triple buzz
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

that blows! For once I am glad I'm in Ohio, The worst transportation law is no studded or chained tires allowed between may 1st and sept 31st !!!

Old 01-05-2008, 04:38 PM
caltrain
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spoke to a Anaheim motor officer during lunch a couple of weeks after the citations began. He was not happy about having to pull over bikes as he also rides. They were issuing basic fix-it tickets and not the more costly and obnoxious violation referenced above. The crackdown only was enforced for a couple of weeks to satisfy the resident and show the departments cooperation with residents. This area of homes is at the base of a very steep hill which is used to get to a local canyon ride out to Cooks Corner. (The resident wasblown off by the police department until she met up with the chiefof police at a charity function in Anaheim.)

Also, the topic of loud pipes is being brought up in manystate legislatures including CA. This was relayed by one of our fellow riders who happens to be a state assembleyman from Orange County.He made mention of this during a brief speech at the OCHOGtoy ride(1600 Harley riders giving toys to kids in the hospital)on Christmas eve.