VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

Do it yourself voids warranties?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Pyrodex76
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do it yourself voids warranties?

My father-in-law bought a leftover 2006 VRSCA (factory 2 year warranty)and wants to put pipes on it. Our local Harley Dealership said2006, 2007,and 2008 VRSCA modelsrequire a PCIII or Race Tuner and that it MUST be tuned on the Dyno. They also said all the stuff must be put on by them or the warranty will be void. I was under the impression that we could install the pipes and air cleaner ourselves and Map bike using Map Downloads from Power Commander website. A friend of ours has a 2004 VRSCA with the V&H Powershots and does not have a PCIII, must be he had a download from Harley put on. If we put the powershots on the 2006 why do we need the PCIII or Race Tuner. What has changed on the bikes from 04 to 06? Reading these posts there has been quite a lot of talk on the V-MODS slip on exhaust. What is everyones opinions on these?

Old 12-08-2007, 06:58 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Do it yourself voids warranties?

Yes, you will need a fuel management system of some sort or you will burn up the engine running it lean.

The quick answer to your question is, yes it can void the warranty, but it would be on Harley's shoulders to prove what you did ruined the engine.

Both the SERT and PCIII come with canned maps that are "close enough" that you won't hurt your engine running them. You will need to change to a high flow air filter, most of the canned maps (at least on SERT) are setup with this in mind. A Dyno with an experienced tuner will get you the best results, but the canned maps on either the SERT or the PCIII, along with your exhaust and a high flow A/C ought to have you ride running better than stock.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member

You can put an EPA approved Stage I flash download from Harley if you are concerned about it. It is EPA, so it is lean. Your ride will run better with the canned maps from the PCIII or the SERT. I personally like the SERT. Also, after the install, if it's not running great you could always then have it Dynod, and just save on the install.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:06 PM
eazy
Road Warrior

Nothing has changed from 2004 t0 2007, they are saying this to scare you. There is some truth to what they say however, I would go with some sort of fuel modulation, whether I had a 2002 or a 2008.

You will get far more from a high flow air filter than pipes, I'd do both.

I'd also put them on myself and consider finding another dealership.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:16 PM
rodhotter
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

stealers can be jerks, there is a warranty law stating they must prove your mod caused the problem you are looking for a warranty on. all they want is more $$$$$$$$$$$

Old 12-30-2007, 07:13 PM
Pyrodex76
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I really appreciate all the feedback. I know that my father-in-law loves his ride and is looking forward to adding to it.