VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Ken S
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine noise

I don't post much, gone too much with work, etc. Enjoy reading the posts for various topics though. At 5500 miles my 05 V Rod developed a consistent knock, like valve noise of some kind. The dealer has pulled the engine and examined the valves, etc but found nothing wrong. They are talking to the factory now for "permission" to tear down the engine. The mechanic agrees that something is bad wrong, but can't see what at this stage. It's been a week so far - good think I kept my old Sporty. Any similar experiences?

[IMG]local://upfiles/26339/7F005886C0DC4ECEBDAFC1474FE77603.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Rocks
Cruiser
Default RE: engine noise

I have nothing like that.
I'm at 6,800 miles on my '07 and no weird engine noise.
Let us know how this works out.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:11 AM
Ken S
Intermediate

I purchased this bike new in Feb of 07, so it is still under warranty. The noise first appeared after the a dealer oil change at 5300 miles, and became gradually more noticeable over the next 200 miles. I thought at first I was being paraniod. I had lost a screw from the exhaust heat shield and was heariin a rattle from that too. With the screw replaced (which took over a week to get from the dealer), the knocking was still there.

Anyway, just wondered if anyone out there had any similar experience. I've been without the bike now for a week and a half...kind of like to have it back before my son flies in for Christmas. He rides too. Thanks for the reply, Rocks...Ken

Old 12-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Rockrat
Cruiser

Wonder if during the service, someone forgot to put oil in the tank and ran the engine without oil pressure? Found the error of their ways and put oil back in it. Neighbor did this once with a VW. Ran for about 500 miles with a loud knock (rod bearing I figured) before grenading.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:16 PM
eazy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've not heard of anything like this but I'd be interested in hearing what the problem is. My first thought was that the mechanic dropped something intoone of the throttle bodiesat your 5k service.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Ken S
Intermediate

Well, the dealer called today and said the factory "authorized" them to replace the cam on the rear cylinder, and remove the rocker box cover from the front cylinder to inspect it as well. I expressed my concern that it be right for the long haul - I tend to keep my vehicles until I drive them into the ground. The parts will have to be ordered, so I don't expect to see my V Rod until around Christmas. I hope they replace the valve too, and spring...whatever is in line with the original problem. But the mechanic did not see how the scored cam had anything to do with the knock, or why it was scored in the first place.

Have to go be Bob Cratchet in a local theater production of "A Christmas Carol". So Merry Christmas all...Ken

Old 12-05-2007, 10:10 PM
eazy
Road Warrior

Thanks for the update Ken, I hope everything that's questionable gets replaced.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Ken S
Intermediate

Well, the dealer had the parts overnighted and put it back together...same noise. Sounds like something hitting inside somewhere. All the mechanics in the shop have been in on this and can't figure it out. A regional Harley rep is going to look at it next. I hope they just replace the engine now.

And to add insult to injury I wrecked the Sporty Saturday night. Truck left turned right in front of me. I should have been driving more cautiously given the time of day - late, Saturday night. One of the witnesses saw the driver switch with the passenger after the wreck, before the police arrived, but did not want to get involved. Two others who saw the accident stayed and gave statements to the police, and the trucks "driver" was cited for failing to yeild. I have a broken leg, just the smaller bone, lots of bruises, but pretty good considering. When it rains it pours...Ken

Old 12-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Billydj
Cruiser

I feel your pain brother!

Old 12-11-2007, 08:32 PM
eazy
Road Warrior

I tried to keep quiet, as my question will not solve your problem, but it is this----Has anyone considered the possibility that something was dropped in or sucked into the engine during or shortly after the service? My twin Brother built a 406 smallblock Chevy and while he and my Dad were putting it in one of themevidently dropped a lock-washer into the carb while the air cleaner was removed. It created one hell of a racket. He didn't find out what it was until he tore the engine back down to find the problem. This obviously involved more than removing the rocker box covers and inspecting the valves. Costly mistake and repair, time and money----damaged valves, valve seats,the piston and I think the cylinder wall.

If this happened maybe you should talk to the about a free Big Block kit.

Quick Reply: engine noise