VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

Why Can't Harley Get the V-ROD Right??

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 10:10 PM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why Can't Harley Get the V-ROD Right??

What is wrong with Harley? How can they continually miss the target with the V-ROD? Is anyone in their R&D department even remotely aware of the marketplace?

Harley introduces a beefed up revolution engine for 2008, 1250cc with about 100 HP/litre, a real powerhouse. Good RPM range, torque, the works. So what do they do with it? They add a slipper clutch - now you're talking!! Big time advantages if you are less than perfectly skilled when downshifting in turns. Then they add ABS brakes - can it get any better? They now have a drivetrain that will hold it's own against anyone.

So what do they do? THEY SCREW IT UP. The eliminate the Street Rod, and make all seat heights 26-27 inches from the ground, and in the process reduce ground clearance to 5.0 inches and lean angle to 34 degrees!! HOW IN THE HELL CAN THEY DO THAT!! What is the point of the added horsepower, slipper clutch, ABS brakes and all the rest if you can't lean into a turn? I'm short - 5'7", and even I would put up with the 30 inch laden height of the Street ROD so that I could lean into a turn. What about those of you that are over 6' tall? What do you do with a 26 inch seat and high mounted foot pegs? And they wonder why it doesn't sell better.

What is wrong with them? They are losing touch with ther real world. I don't think it is arrogance, or intent - they just seem lost. They don't understand sport bikes, never did. Buell sells less than 25K bikes a year, compared to over 325K HD bikes. Their average rider age has increased by almost 8 years in the last 15 years, and that is not good for the future. The V-Rod is their entree into the "conquest" market - but they are blowing it big time.

They need to get a focus group that isn't from inside the corporate office. The '06 Street Rod was as close to perfect as they have been ith the V-ROD- 40 degree lean angle, still reasonable 30 inch laden seat height (with a 180 pound rider aboard), and REAL CHROME on the bike. Look at the '06 and compare it to the '08. What happened to that beautiful front end triple clamp, full of beautiful workmanship and ALL CHROME!? Now we get an ugly "color matched" piece of crap on the front light. That improves the look? To who(m)?

Look at the '06 engine - chrome and metal - like most Harleys of the last 100 years full of contrast - stands out, highly visible, makes a statement. The '08? Chrome is an option, and not even available on most models (only the heads). The engine disappears into a pool of monochrome color. Have they heard about the "naked standard bike" look? You know, the one where everyone wants to actually SEE the engine?

Then they remove the mid-level foot placement, the very thing that makes you confident enough to handle the new engine power and the slipper clutch. Ever go into a corner a bit hot on a sportbike with a slipper clutch? The only thing that keeps you from a nasty high side is self control on the brakes (don't touch them) and THE FOOTPEGS UNDER YOUR BUTT. What possible control do you have with your feet in the highway position riding into a turn? On the new and improved Harley you are toast with the current ergonomics.

So what do we have? A bastardized mess, I'm afraid. Brembo ABS brakes, slipper clutch, and high output engine inside of a frame that can't lean over, and has no ground clearance. If you're a bit above average height your feet are touching your *** when they're on the pegs. Should be a lot of fun. Still no adjustable footpegs after more than five years of production, a feature on the Euro bikes for a decade.

While I'm at it, is there a reason why the V-ROD has to weigh over 600 pounds? Yeah, I know the target market is the "seasoned rider" who has a sportsbike background and is getting "more mature". THAT'S ME - why can't you give me what I WANT - a sweet platform to hold all those juicy powertrain components? If anyone from HD reads this I'll GLA

Old 09-08-2007, 12:18 AM
ebrown0104
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why Can't Harley Get the V-ROD Right??

I love my bike, even without good ground clearance, bad lean angles, and being a fat *** pig. If you want a real badass Rod, get a used Street Rod and put a Trask turbo on it. There's your sport bike wanna-be right there for tehe same price as a new one.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:51 AM
Billydj
Cruiser

Wow! That is some coffee..is that home grown or columbian?! A good read and I feel your pain and hopefully HD will hear ya!

Thanks!
BillyD

Old 09-08-2007, 12:39 PM
eazy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am 5'7" and I don't want a 30" laden seat height, if I did I would have bought something else. Harley-Davidson has to make the best bike they can for the most amount of potential buyers---AS THEY SEE IT. If you don't like it buy enough Harley stock to change it or start riding a custom made just for you. You will of course be spending far more than the $20,000 or so for the VRSC line.

You obviously have no idea. Your rant sounds ridiculous. Do you know what it takes to market, as you said---
ORIGINAL: lencap

over 325K HD bikes. .
Speak for yourself, Harley-Davidson has already given me what I want.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:49 PM
STEG
Road Captain

I'm on both sides of the spectrum here, It should have the more hot rod dragster VRSCA at one end and the VRSCR at the other with the night rod and night rod special in between, and the old VRSCX somewhere, I saw one in person when I was up in maine a few weeks ago and, I couldnt stop going back to look at it besides it sat next to a Night rod special and a VRSCA and across from 3 almost identical streetrods, I didnt want to leave the dealership....ever, as for technical stuff the slipper clutch 1250cc's and ABS should be standard on ALL models, this lineup was made to draw a new, younger, crowd to HD and there going to need some new technology other than that of a traditionalist harley, Thus they can get a wider appeal to their VRSC lineup with a hot rod and a sportier model with a happy median in the middle....

But then again, when have you known a big corporation to do anything smart[>:]

I love the VRSCR I just hope I can get the last one in NY before someone else does

Old 09-08-2007, 04:08 PM
SmileyGirl
Intermediate

I think Harley did get the V-Rod just right. I happen to love my NightRod

Old 09-08-2007, 07:06 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't ride oneand I think the v-rod is pretty cool ( just not my cup of tea)... my only ?....if you want a powerful sport bike why wouldn't you get a busa or ninja.. is it just the japanese stigma?..not dissin... just curious

Old 09-08-2007, 11:11 PM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Eazy & Smiley Girl -

I didn't mean to suggest that the V-Rod is a bad bike, quite the contrary I love it. I'm just frustrated that HD hasn't quite figured out the way to market it. When it first came out it was so different that no one knew how to respond to it. The design, quality, and look still are unmatched. But when I tested it, with cash in hand, it didn't work for me at all. Now, several years after the initial roll out it has evolved, but still isn't well appreciated in the marketplace. The depreciation on the V-ROD, at least where I live, is the highest of any HD, and I think that is truly unfair. If you read the Porsche and HD development plans the V-Rod is truly unique - a clutch that can take 9000 RPM sudden starts time after time without wear, nine plates and great feedback - truly unique. The long wheelbase and high weight limit the true sportiness of the bike, but in return you can pretty much dump the clutch in any gear and accelerate at full power with almost no risk of wheelies and gain 1.3 Gs of grip - a figure that I don't think any other motorcycle can match.

I also love the look and the quality of the workmanship. As I said in another forum discussion that I am again looking at buying one for myself - with my limited height I need to consider the extre lean angle of the Street Rod with the need to reach the ground flat footed.

Eazy - you are right as I reread my initial comments it did come across somewhat ridiculous - it wasn't my desire to provoke, just to use exaggeration to make a point. Didn't mean to offend. Apology offered if you were offended.

This is a great forum, I'm just trying to express frustration that the V-Rod isn't better appreciated by the market place, not dissing the bike or HD for being daring enough to try it.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:55 AM
lbjohnson1
Road Master

I feel your pain about the VRSCR, this was my favorite and still is. Don't know why it is not selling as well. I love the front end also. Ialso like the fact that the rear tire is only a 180mm size and notthe oversized 240mm.There are 3 2006 models at my local dealership and they are offering $1000 below invoice. Previously they were trying to sell them for $13400 out the door and they still are sitting.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:03 AM
triple buzz
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I really wanted an R when I bought my A model in 05. My local dealer had a demo that could be used for a day , not the normal around the block thing so I took it on a Sat and brought it back Mon. I liked it but I did not love it. I am a sportbiker who ownes a Vrod. I bought my V-rod because I wanted a fast power crusier and I never owned a harley. So after a weekend of beating the bike thru the same corners in southern Ohio that I abuse every other weekend on my Gixxer I saw what the R is not. I touched metal wayyyyyyy to easy and felt the brakes were overtaxed for the weight (600lb bike-225 rider )it is also too long for tight stuff. I did love the seating postion and the power. I am the target harley was aiming for with this bike -30 something who currently likes sportbikes- They did not factor in we know what a sportbike can do and that once we found this out after a ride , we were not going to slap down $16,000 on a crusier with higher shocks and a steeper rake on the forks. That is why they sold poor and Harley pulled it. This post is by no way trying to offend any R owners. Your bikes hands down are the best Harley offered -I just gave my 2 cents why they missed the mark. I do think with a Fixed fairing this bike would make a good sport tourer.

Quick Reply: Why Can't Harley Get the V-ROD Right??