VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

Touring on a Vrod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007 | 02:41 PM
STEG
|
Road Captain
Default Touring on a Vrod?

Ok so Im relatively new to riding, and Ive had my sportster for a while and will have it for at least another 9 months but at the end of next august there is the national hog rally in miluake, and as of right now I'm living in upstate NY. Google says 950 miles for a direct route from our starting point to miluake but I figure were not going to be on highways the entire time and we will probably have some out of the way stops to make so my guess is around a 1500 mile journey halfway across the country, on a sportster...That dosent seem too appealing to me all of a sudden. Theres only one other sporty in the pack of bikes going to miluake and he is going to trade up, and I am planning on doing the same. My question to you guys is how far do you tour on your Vrods? are they comfortable for long periods of time?

I initially wanted a night rod, but because theres no foward control kits for them Im limited to the VRSCA and the Night Rod Special, I dont really like the VRSCA and the night rod special will be a tough one to find, and I wouldnt want to ruin it with all of the touring stuff on it (tour pack, bags, windshield etc) but I do like the foward controls. Does the night rod regular have an available foward control kit The 125 horses is appealing but at the same time I dont want to trade my sportster in, and I feel it will be neglected once I get the vrod.

On the other hand theres the FLHX streetglide which is the only bagger that appeals to me in the slightest but that big fairing and the radio and the big comfy seat and floorboars makes me think if I'd be better off with a bone stock FLHX than a touring equipped vrod, but i'll loose a ton of power with that air cooled 96 and with all that extra stuff on it I feel like it has the potential to be really slow...any opinions from VRod owners of what I should do? Stock FLHX or Touring equipped Night Rod/Night Rod Special?

Old 07-31-2007 | 05:33 PM
eazy
Road Warrior
Default RE: Touring on a Vrod?

The V-Rod is not a touring bike, but I would equip the V-Rod for touring, considering that you've only mentioned one trip. Why sacrifice 50 weeks of the year for two? The StreetGlide would definitely be more comfortable on the road and if you are going to take more trips I'd say go for that. Need drives desire. I've ridden 400 miles in two days with no problems butI'm headed out for 800 miles in a day and a half in 16 days, I'll let you know how that feels.

Old 07-31-2007 | 05:46 PM
v42vrod
1st Gear

What Eazy said !!
If your going to do 75% of your riding on the interstates go for the big FLHX,,,,,,,but if your going to do one or two weeks a year on a vacation and the rest of the year boppin around on 100 milers or so a day get the V-Rod, throw a pair of bags on it or a T-bag on the back and a quick release windsheild when you feel the need. Ive done 435 miles in a single day on mine and I'm 65 years old with only enough stiffness to require a couple of Tylenol when I got home. Great bike.

Old 08-01-2007 | 06:58 PM
SmileyGirl
Intermediate

I've done 400 miles in one day on my Nightrod w/badlander seat and had no problems. 'Course I've also done more than 600 miles in a single day on my 2004 1200C and felt like I could have done a couple hundred more! If I were you I'd do the trip on that great looking Sportster and earn some bragging rights Just a thought...

Old 08-14-2007 | 12:00 AM
violet
Advanced

HMMM interesting comments - my sporty hurt and I bought about 3 different seats trying to make it feel better. No matter what, one hour on the sporty and I was in pain. My Vrod on the other hand and I do quite nicely - the windshield has helped alot and I am looking for a good seat (tallboy for my long legs) which I think will give me more comfortable ride. Other than the small gas tank I could ride forever.

Old 08-18-2007 | 09:07 PM
LAWMAN
Tourer

I have a 2006 Road King. Two weeks ago I bought a 2003 Anniv. Edition V-Rod. The V-Rod is a very sharp looking bike. However, the Road King is like driving a CADILAC compared to the V-Rod. TodayI went on a 60 mile trip just to see how It would feel. I was 45 miles into the ride and my butt was numb. I currently have a stockseat. But like I said after 45 miles my butt was very verysoar and I was ready to get off it. Get a street glide or Road King Standard and you will be very happy.
I bought the V-Rod for it's looks and speed and only for kicking around town. Anything more than 60 to 90 miles I will take the King.....especially after today!

Old 08-19-2007 | 09:45 AM
diggerv
Tourer

ORIGINAL: LAWMAN

I bought the V-Rod for it's looks and speed and only for kicking around town. Anything more than 60 to 90 miles I will take the King.....especially after today!
get the sundowner seat for your rod, best bang for the buck... you will be able to go all day. I did the 1000 mile 24 hour iron butt ride, we actually did a little over 1100 miles in 22 hours, no problems. just had to stop for gas every 80 to 100 miles.

Old 08-20-2007 | 08:29 PM
jethro001
Tourer

My solution 07 Road King Classic for the trips and 07 Night Rod Special for fun!!!!!!

Old 08-21-2007 | 04:05 PM
triple buzz
Tourer

If you tour on a rod and want to do a 400 mile + days you will need more than a seat. Windsheild is a must unless your arms are as big around as your thighs. My *** don't hurt half as bad as my shoulders and neck when touring the interstate.

Old 08-30-2007 | 08:39 PM
Punisher
Cruiser

Actually going to do it tomorrow. You do need a good seat, windshield, rack and a bag in my case. I've gone 550 miles in a day on one trip, right next to a guy with an ultra. He was ready to get off his bike as bad as I was. It can be done, but there are much more comfortable rides to take. Thats why my Ultra has been ordered. I'm keeping the V too, just for fun!!

Quick Reply: Touring on a Vrod?