VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

Touring on a Vrod?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007 | 11:02 PM
ebrown0104
Advanced
Default RE: Touring on a Vrod?

My dad should be getting his 06 RK Police bike next Thursday or Friday, so I'll let you know how that thing is after I get a chance to ride it...

Old 09-01-2007 | 08:04 AM
rharrison
Road Master

I am going to do an Ironbutt on my V-Rod. With engine guards and a sundowner seat and windshield, it is a great long-distance cruiser. You can go 200 miles on a tank now (try that on the original v-rods!) that the tanks are larger. Currently, I have done 600 mile days on my Street Rod.

Old 09-03-2007 | 10:59 AM
Oriondk
Cruiser

Personally, I think if you just take the occasional long trip the Vrod would be fine. As others have said, get the Sundowner seat. It makes a huge difference. If you get the DX, I would look into getting some better shocks. I'm looking at Progressive 440's for mine. BTW, you can get a forward control kit for the regular Nightrod.

Old 03-19-2008 | 08:54 PM
LadyGladiator
3rd Gear

I've ridden my VROD for 2 hrs straight without stopping and my stock seat was great. I guess it's all relative and depends on what one is expecting from it.

Old 03-19-2008 | 10:01 PM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended

Yes, you can put either forward controls or dual controls on a Night Rod. You can't do it easily on an A or a DX.
Sundowner! I was happy with the stock seat but my wife didn't like the D touring pillion. In her case, the Sundowner pillion and a custom sissy bar made all the difference. Now she can sit back there all day long as easily as I can take the front all day. I find the Sundowner slightly uncomfortable when I stay in one position too lond. Oh wait, I have a Night Rod, I don't have to stay in any one position.
I'm planning on 1700 miles in 3 days in May or April. I'll let you know after that.

Old 03-19-2008 | 10:41 PM
Hal64hd
Road Master
Veteran: Air Force

I've rode 670 miles in one day on my V sundowner seat and windshield with bags and itwent fine put over 14K miles on it last year alone

Old 03-20-2008 | 10:01 PM
sewerat
Road Master

Build a road rod you can tour all you want on it.

Old 03-23-2008 | 02:12 PM
sandysharley
Intermediate

My wife has 04 VRSCB, she put sundowner seat, touring windshield, and unlimited products 5 gal tank in it. She also has reduced reach pegs and handlebars. We took 3500 mile trip last May to midwest in 2 weeks with longest days being 570 miles and 540 miles. She loved it and didn't have any problems with comfort. Put a Carrol Leather sissy bar mount luggage on seat to use as back rest, which really helps on long rides. Planning on leaving for midwest again from AZ in mid May and will do approx 3800 miles this time in same time frame.
Ride safe & have fun. By the way she is a grandmother of 3 with youngest just turned 30 and oldest 40.

Old 03-30-2008 | 12:09 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member

This may sound silly, but try useing a rubber backed bathroom mat on your seat. I used to take lots of long (600+) rides on my sporty, butt hurt like heck. I tried this trick, ( old rider with a rigid told me ) worked like a charm. butt felt good after that. If you're just going to make a few rides that long, might give this a try, for $5, what have you got to loose? Give it a try while riding around before you go, that should tell you.

Old 03-30-2008 | 03:07 AM
sprayandpray
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Zimbob

This may sound silly, but try useing a rubber backed bathroom mat on your seat. I used to take lots of long (600+) rides on my sporty, butt hurt like heck. I tried this trick, ( old rider with a rigid told me ) worked like a charm. butt felt good after that. If you're just going to make a few rides that long, might give this a try, for $5, what have you got to loose? Give it a try while riding around before you go, that should tell you.
I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one here that had ever had a 600 mile day on a sporty?.......

[sm=biker2.gif]

Quick Reply: Touring on a Vrod?