VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

V-MOD exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 10:27 AM
syata
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V-MOD exhaust

Anyone has or has heard the sound of the V-MOD exhaust? I am looking for an exhaust for a 2003 V-ROD that has the similar bend as the stock muffler (I like that look). I am looking for something that is louder than stock but not as loud as let's say the Thunderheaders.

H-D does not sell the Screaming Eagle muffler for that year anymore and I found V-MOD who, I guess pulls out the baffles (or part of them).

I have not heard what they sound like and what people think about them.

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:21 PM
eazy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: V-MOD exhaust

I do not have them but have heard them. They sound good---good tone and volume. They are not as loud as a straight pipe or ThunderHeader, but they are not even close to the quietness of the stock exhaust. Some people do their own "V-Mod" by drilling holes in the stock ends to create basically the same effect.

If you want something with a little more volume but the same look that's the way to go.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:09 PM
syata
Advanced

Thanks. Do you know if I would have to 're-map' the engine and if I needed anything else (such as K&N filter) if I were to drill holes into my stock muffler?
Have you done anything like this (I have not) to give me pointers?
Thanks.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:58 PM
diggerv
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

vmod has a package deal... exhaust that has been modded, k&n filter, and fuel managment device. if you just get the exhaust or mod your own, you will need to remap. I recommend the HD race tuner. it is more money but you can do a lot more... like change your red line, adjust timing, adust the length of time your injectors stay open, adjust different front to rear cylinders.

drilling holes in your exhuast will give you more sound but not as much as removing the inner baffle and the insulation... best bang for the buck is vmods. you may want to go topless as well... it has proven to give a few more hp on dynos.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:47 PM
eazy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most motorcycles are intake restrictive, meaning that you will get more out of opening up the intake than by opening up the exhaust. Like diggerv said, you will need to remap. The money that you spend to remap will more than be made up by engine longevity and possible downtime to replace internal engine parts if they are damaged by heat (lean=heat) You can go a number of different ways with this--find S.E. slip-ons, drill your own, get V-Mod pipes.......but I would definitely get either a K&N or S.E. air filter and tune the fuel curve to match your combination.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:41 PM
syata
Advanced

Thanks for the advise.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Shed
Advanced

The V mods sound great really deep and not too loud about 100 - 105 db I have this with a pc111usb and Kand N topless, lots of sound files on 1130cc.com

Old 08-07-2007, 11:24 AM
syata
Advanced

Thanks for the reply. I think I will first goi with the drilled exhaust pipes and then might work myself to the V-Mod, who knows, I might end up with a new exhaust at the end.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:07 PM
triple buzz
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

do them yourself - you need a 3 inch hole saw- 1 7/8 hole saw -a good drill - and a 1 inch o.d chunk of doll rod. . Use the 1/78 saw for the top (small opening ) just cuting away enough of the baffle weld just to break it free. then center the drill bit of the 3" saw in the 1 " doll rod to act as a guide for the larger 3" cut on the exit end. Place the doll rod in the 1 inch hole in the exit of the muffler- don't worry its an angled cut but the doll rod will hold in straight. Once you break thru pull the whole inner baffle out. Clean up the edges with a file or dremil , mask off the area and paint it flat black . It sounds ruff but it is easy . 3 beers and your done. Have some one there to hold the mufflers with you unless you have a pipe vise. just go slow and easy. You will still have to remap - get any one you want -for this mod they will all do just fine.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:38 PM
syata
Advanced

Thanks for the reply Triple Buzz. I think I will start small (drilling holes first) and work my way to the next step V-Mod.

Quick Reply: V-MOD exhaust