VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

06 Street rod. . .problems or normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007 | 01:23 PM
emdoubleyou
|
5th Gear
Default 06 Street rod. . .problems or normal?

Hi,
I've had my 06 street rod for about half a year now and I've noticed some things with it. Here they are:

1. Bad mileage for a motorcycle (around 30 to 35, with the new exhaust, programmer,and SE air filter on it. . .was closer to 35 to 40 with stock)
2. Sometimes it makes a sproing noise in 2nd and third when downshifting (with the clutch held in of course).
3. Once I hit about 5000 rpm, the exhaust starts popping (also have discolored exhaust under heat shields). Someone told me this is a leaning out problem with the fuel. What would make it do this. The company I bought the programmer from said he hasn't had any problems with other street rods. I did get water in my gas from a gas station and had to have it towed this month (this was right after I changed the exhaust). The harley shop charged me 160 dollars just to drain the water out. I don't even think they changed the fuel filter. Could that cause the popping? I did notice the manifold bolts were loose when I installed the muffler. I tightened them back up and that helped some in the below 5000 rpm. Its mostly notices when I don't have full throttle on and I'm in construction areas where I have to downshift.

Old 06-27-2007 | 02:07 PM
eazy
Road Warrior
Default RE: 06 Street rod. . .problems or normal?

ORIGINAL: emdoubleyou

Hi,
I've had my 06 street rod for about half a year now and I've noticed some things with it. Here they are:

1. Bad mileage for a motorcycle (around 30 to 35, with the new exhaust, programmer, and SE air filter on it. . .was closer to 35 to 40 with stock)
Sounds about right to me. Harley's listing of high 40s is crap, you'd have to ride real easy on the throttle and at about 45-50 mph in fifth to get that. It's not very realistic. Best I've ever seen is 33.

2. Sometimes it makes a sproing noise in 2nd and third when downshifting (with the clutch held in of course).
Not sure what you're talking about. Where is it coming from? How loud? Does the noise ever change? It's "sometimes" not "always", right?

3. Once I hit about 5000 rpm, the exhaust starts popping (also have discolored exhaust under heat shields). Someone told me this is a leaning out problem with the fuel. What would make it do this. The company I bought the programmer from said he hasn't had any problems with other street rods. I did get water in my gas from a gas station and had to have it towed this month (this was right after I changed the exhaust). The harley shop charged me 160 dollars just to drain the water out. I don't even think they changed the fuel filter. Could that cause the popping? I did notice the manifold bolts were loose when I installed the muffler. I tightened them back up and that helped some in the below 5000 rpm. Its mostly notices when I don't have full throttle on and I'm in construction areas where I have to downshift.
Gil's Box? Engines can run differently, what's set up for one may not be right for another. Have you ever had the Air/Fuel read on a dyno? Water is not likely going to cause popping, it will eventually dry out or be burned off. You said it was drained so that isn't even really a consideration any longer. I assume you've been riding this past month. How many miles? Air infiltration can cause some of that but you say it hasn't gone away, I'd have that looked at. You're still under factory warranty so problems could be paid for now rather than you footing the bill later. (for possible repair work, the dyno/inspection will be on you) I would assume that the popping is a result of the modulator being incorrectly configured for your engine. Dtno testing is a whole lot cheaper than replacing parts.

Make sure you get back on and let us know what you find out.

Old 08-01-2007 | 09:17 PM
emdoubleyou
|
5th Gear

Well, just took my bike to Cajun Harley in Lafayette, LA and they totally redynoed the bike. The did it with a race tuner and computer. Runs much better now with more power and much smoother acceleration. Obviously the box wasn't right for my motorcycle. Not cheap, but I am satisfied now. They also said I should get better milage out of it.

Old 08-01-2007 | 09:55 PM
emdoubleyou
|
5th Gear

BTW, my VRSCR dynoed out between 114 and 115 hp at the rear wheel. Is this about normal or less? They said it was good, but I thought it should have 120hp.

Old 08-02-2007 | 02:07 AM
eazy
Road Warrior

H-D's listing of 120 is at the crank. 114 at the rear wheel is good, I would say almost great stock.

Old 08-02-2007 | 07:11 AM
emdoubleyou
|
5th Gear

Sounds good. Thanks for all your advice and help! Its truly appreciated.