VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

Haunt of the Night Rod

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 08:11 PM
bikeknight
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Haunt of the Night Rod

Here's a brief history of my V-Rod experience: Last October I wanted to buy a bigger bike so my wife could be comfortable on a fall tour here in the east. I'd heard alot of complaints about the new 96's running hot and noisy. I usually don'tbuy intofirst year production runs on anything. I'd also heard great things about the Revolution as far as performance, durability, and reliability. So, I went downto my local H-D dealer with the specific intention of trading my Sporty in on the stunning NRS I'd seen just two days prior. I had check book and credit app. in hand fully expecting to ride that stealth fighterhome.The managerasked me if I wantedto takeit for a short ride and I figured this would just be the first of many, many more on that rig. I hit the road with a mix of expectations and..., honestly, didn't know what to make of it. Never having owned a liquid cooled, high-rev motorcycle, I wasn't sure how to ride it. EVERYTHING was different. There was obviously going to be a bit of a learning curve, yetI didn't want to rack up demo miles on a brand new bike. So, I never got the chance to see what it could or couldn't do. (I do know that even in cool October, the heat coming up through the seat was nut roasting. Even after just 6-7 miles!) As much as I loved the look of this beast, I thought it was just too wierd to risk all those samoleans on this great unknown. Instead, Iwent the safe, conservative route and picked up a new 96ci FB. But... I don't ride motorcycles to be "safe", dammit. Thatdang V-Rod haunts me to this day!

V-Rod fans: Especiallythose who've given up thier tried n' true air-cooled twins for the Revolution, what did you gain (aside from top end scat) in the switch and what did you loose (aside from low end torque)? Does themixed terrain of the east coastallow it toexcel, or does it like the open roads of the West, or is it equally at home anywhere you take it? In a perfect world I'd love to have one apple and one orange, but... perfection does havea heavy price tag, right?

Old 04-11-2007, 02:43 AM
sfarson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Haunt of the Night Rod

bikeknight, Just some random thoughts.

- If a bike haunts, it will continue to do so until you address it somehow.
- Your experience with the Night Rod Special last autumn is not necessarily represented of other V-Rod models.
- Have never experienced a heat issue with my Night Rod Special.
- I also ride a Road King. Get a kick out of both bikes.
- Get a kick out of the Road King's style, exhaust note, comfort, versatility, bags, windshield, etc. and etc.
- Get a kick out of the V-Rod's style, exhaust note, ergos... and sweet, sweet, power.
- Believe the RK is a more versatile bike... city, country, highways, short and far.
- The V-Rod has some open highway compromises... it is a breezy bike, and windshields help little. It needs a 6th gear imo.
- The V-Rod is more fun on many other kinds of roads.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:59 PM
bikeknight
Cruiser

Thanks, Sfarson.
Having both has got to be sweet. Looking forward to riding in CO (my home state) this fall. Maybe I'll rent a V-rod out in GJT, if they've got 'em. It may just keep haunting til then!

Old 04-11-2007, 03:24 PM
sfarson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bikeknight, Yeah... give the V-Rod a try again. If meaning Grand Junction, I rented two H-D's out of there (Grand Junction H-D) last summer on a ride with my two sons. At that time they didn't offer V-Rods to rent, but perhaps it will be different this year. You can always ask for a demo ride. If CO has been your stomping grounds, here's a ride report/images from that Grand Junction rental (Perhaps you know of the Dolores Canyon?)...

https://www.hdforums.com/m_560105/tm.htm

Steve

Old 04-11-2007, 06:05 PM
bikeknight
Cruiser

Thanks, Steve.
I will be renting out of Grand Junction. I was there last Thanksgiving, but sorry to find out rentals stop at the end of October. Makes sense even though the weather was still very ridable in the Valley. There was snow and ice up on the Mesa, but only as you got to the top.

In any event, I hope to rent another V-Rod before long. I have an open mind toward them. I just need to feel them out long enough to see what they're capable of and whether it's a ride I can get 17K's use out of!
I will check out Dolores if I can.

Thanks for all the good info!
Steve