Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2024 | 08:27 AM
Guuuuns
|
Intermediate
Default Engine noise

I'd like some help. I have a 2005 softtail. I just replaced my cam service kit. I didn't replace the bearings. There is no noise in the rocker arm. There is a tik tik tik noise inside the cylinder. Should I replace the piston ring? Or where is the problem?

Attached Files
File Type: mp4
YouCut_20241006_222446884.mp4 (1.19 MB, 15 views)

Last edited by Guuuuns; 10-06-2024 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-09-2024 | 04:09 PM
robarosa
Road Master

Don't hear anything to be concerned about. But my wife says I'm deaf as ignore her a lot.

The following users liked this post:
Guuuuns (10-10-2024)
Old 10-09-2024 | 04:17 PM
jp0469
Tourer

I don't hear much beyond normal top end noise and I used headphones to make sure I was hearing as best as I could from the file. What made you think that it was "in the cylinder" and why would replacing one piston ring be a viable solution?

Guuuuns (10-10-2024)
Old 10-10-2024 | 12:49 AM
Guuuuns
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jp0469
I don't hear much beyond normal top end noise and I used headphones to make sure I was hearing as best as I could from the file. What made you think that it was "in the cylinder" and why would replacing one piston ring be a viable solution?

The cylinder made a noise and suspected a piston ring.🤔

Old 10-10-2024 | 12:49 AM
Guuuuns
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by robarosa
Don't hear anything to be concerned about. But my wife says I'm deaf as ignore her a lot.
thanks!

Old 10-10-2024 | 12:58 AM
robarosa
Road Master

Put a borescope down the plug hole if you suspect something.

Old 10-10-2024 | 06:55 AM
jp0469
Tourer

Originally Posted by Guuuuns
The cylinder made a noise and suspected a piston ring.🤔
Although, I don't hear anything unusual, it would be hard to distinguish a noise that is specifically in the cylinder vs.the top end. Remember, the cylinder only goes about halfway up and then you have the heads and rocker boxes above that. Here's a good visual:

To help pinpoint a noise, use a mechanic's stethoscope or press a wooden dowel to your ear and then touch it to various points on the engine.

Old 10-11-2024 | 04:12 AM
Guuuuns
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jp0469
Although, I don't hear anything unusual, it would be hard to distinguish a noise that is specifically in the cylinder vs.the top end. Remember, the cylinder only goes about halfway up and then you have the heads and rocker boxes above that. Here's a good visual: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH6mMJ9zM2k

To help pinpoint a noise, use a mechanic's stethoscope or press a wooden dowel to your ear and then touch it to various points on the engine.

Thank you for the good video👍

Old 10-11-2024 | 05:48 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Two ear mechanic's stethoscope. Under $10 at Harbour Freight. You need both ears plugged from all the exhaust noise to determine engine problems. Compare one cylinder to the other in the same location on each cylinder.

I don't hear any great problem. And I do detect different sounds mixed together that without the two ear stethoscope is confusing.

A broken ring would cause a issue in how it idles. However on a Harley, that's difficult to see.

Do a warm compression check with butterfly held open. See a problem, then double check with a leak down to see if it's rings or valves.

What is a cam service kit?

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 10-11-2024 at 06:00 AM.
Old Today | 12:40 AM
Guuuuns
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jackie Paper
Two ear mechanic's stethoscope. Under $10 at Harbour Freight. You need both ears plugged from all the exhaust noise to determine engine problems. Compare one cylinder to the other in the same location on each cylinder.

I don't hear any great problem. And I do detect different sounds mixed together that without the two ear stethoscope is confusing.

A broken ring would cause a issue in how it idles. However on a Harley, that's difficult to see.

Do a warm compression check with butterfly held open. See a problem, then double check with a leak down to see if it's rings or valves.

What is a cam service kit?
Thank you for your answer. I was also a mechanic. Now I do it as a hobby. The product in the picture is a cam service kit.

Jackie Paper (Today)

Quick Reply: Engine noise