Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

TC88 oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2024, 11:41 AM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,678 Likes on 2,720 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Well Muskrat, you've been subjected to the wrath of rounders. May God have mercy on your soul..
The wrath? More like some mental inability to stop. Maybe he should join ON and ON ANON.

Sounds better said than written....

The following users liked this post:
Muskrat21 (08-18-2024)
Old 08-18-2024, 06:17 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,398 Likes on 5,006 Posts

Originally Posted by brakeless
The wrath? More like some mental inability to stop. Maybe he should join ON and ON ANON.

Sounds better said than written....
He needs to join the permanent members of banned camp...

The following 3 users liked this post by Dan89FLSTC:
brakeless (08-18-2024), KK0G (08-21-2024), Muskrat21 (08-19-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 09:35 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 7,035 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
We need more Red Foreman's.

​​​​​​I understand oil and tranny plug mix up.

He then sucks it out of pan, about a foot from plug he pulled.

He then started that engine semi dry. I don't think it hurt though, but ______.
You pulled what you thought was plug. That didn't work so you used vac pump.this tells me you should not work on anything.

You should have stopped and figured out what you did wrong. Do you think people use vac pumps to change oil??!
All that wrench on you did,did you ever drain oil with a pump?

What I meant about starting engine dry is , you drained oil from crank. Normally if I had engine open I would dump oil in bottom end.

Probably fine metal is wet. If you have not started yet turning over with plugs out or rotating tire to operate pump .

I have done lots of stupid stuff. But draining oil with vac pump is not one of them.
Maybe you use more advance techniques than me. But when oil doesn't come out when you take plug out, don't you think you should stop and find the right plug? Was the idea to never use the plug again? Not get the manual? Not look at engineer to see the tank and dipstick were no where near the plug, were separate bodies.

I am not faulting you for the wrong plug. I am faulting you for not stopping what you were doing and carrying on.
My opinion stands. When nothing came out. He should have stopped. He kept on his path by sucking out oil. He should have stopped and figured out what he did wrong.

Plus when he sucked out the oil, it didn't cross his mind how far the plug was from where he was sucking??
I have a 2001 TC. There are three plugs, oil pan, tranny, and the one on the bottom end of the engine. My understanding is you opened the one on the engine rather than the oil pan. A few ounces came out. You then sucked out out the oil from oil pan, rather than looking for the plug on the oil pan.

Is this correct? If so, my point was, you should have stopped. And figured out what you did wrong

Again probably not end of world. The crank and bearings would have residual oil on them. When I open up the bottom end, and drain all the oil like you did, I dump some oil back in when assembling. But again, everything on your bike is probably coated in oil since not all of it drains.

I don't fault you removing the wrong plug, though I think it is easier to mix up tranny and engine oil. But you should have stopped when only a few ounces came out and figured out what you are doing wrong. when something is wrong, you need to stop.
So what plug did you pull that had only a few ounces of oil drain, and had you then sucking it out of the oil pan?
So he was riding the bike with just a chemical you added to the oil, but no fluid?

Also the son added 3.5 quarts of oil to the engine oil pan, and it did not overflow? It held 7 or 8 quarts of oil?
I call BS. Added a quart, when it takes 3.5-4 quarts of oil? Just dumped one in, and stopped??
But he is still denying it. You go read is follow up posts and compare to his first post.

Something is fishy.

The king of BS wants to be the BS police,

The following 2 users liked this post by Schex:
brakeless (08-21-2024), Muskrat21 (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 09:48 AM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member

What does a troll on the internet mean?

Trolling is when someone posts or comments online to deliberately upset others. In short: Trolling is when someone deliberately tries to upset others online. Trolling can lead to a pile on, when others join in the attack. Don't feed the trolls – responding is likely to make things worse.

The following users liked this post:
Muskrat21 (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 10:16 AM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member

Double post...

Last edited by brakeless; 08-21-2024 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-21-2024, 02:09 PM
SwedishMeatball
HDF Community Team
Received 365 Likes on 202 Posts

It's my humble opinion that this thread has drifted far enough from oil changes to warrant a closing.

Thanks for your contributions gentlemen, off to the next one

The following 3 users liked this post by SwedishMeatball:
Muskrat21 (08-21-2024), Schex (08-21-2024), Uncle Larry (08-26-2024)