Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

TC88 oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2024, 11:13 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,940 Likes on 4,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
My opinion stands. When nothing came out. He should have stopped. He kept on his path by sucking out oil. He should have stopped and figured out what he did wrong.

Plus when he sucked out the oil, it didn't cross his mind how far the plug was from where he was sucking??

uuummmmm.. Not nothing..

only a small amount of oil came out

Old 08-17-2024, 01:08 AM
Muskrat21
Tourer
Received 316 Likes on 164 Posts

Rounders.
I did not drain the sump. The 2000 TC88 has an oil pan under the trany. Probably the source of the confusion as both the engine oil and trany oil plugs are on that pan. I sucked the oil out the same hole you put the oil in. I was doing both oils so both plugs came out eventually when I realized my mistake.
The guy needs to be told he is a dumb ___ so he stops. That's your opinion. Opinions are like *** holes, everyone has one.
End of subject!

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (08-17-2024)
Old 08-17-2024, 07:52 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,398 Likes on 5,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Muskrat21
Question. Does anyone here use friction modifiers in their motor/trans? I've been using Nulon E20 in all motors
No, I let the oil company blend the motor oil for me, it doesn`t need anything added to it.

I recently tried it in my 1988 Softail and had to back the idle screw off half a turn!
Cheers
The oil had nothing to do with it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dan89FLSTC:
Germansheperd (08-17-2024), KK0G (08-21-2024)
Old 08-17-2024, 08:23 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,253 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Rounders.
I did not drain the sump. The 2000 TC88 has an oil pan under the trany. Probably the source of the confusion as both the engine oil and trany oil plugs are on that pan. I sucked the oil out the same hole you put the oil in. I was doing both oils so both plugs came out eventually when I realized my mistake.
The guy needs to be told he is a dumb ___ so he stops. That's your opinion. Opinions are like *** holes, everyone has one.
End of subject!
I have a 2001 TC. There are three plugs, oil pan, tranny, and the one on the bottom end of the engine. My understanding is you opened the one on the engine rather than the oil pan. A few ounces came out. You then sucked out out the oil from oil pan, rather than looking for the plug on the oil pan.

Is this correct? If so, my point was, you should have stopped. And figured out what you did wrong

Again probably not end of world. The crank and bearings would have residual oil on them. When I open up the bottom end, and drain all the oil like you did, I dump some oil back in when assembling. But again, everything on your bike is probably coated in oil since not all of it drains.

I don't fault you removing the wrong plug, though I think it is easier to mix up tranny and engine oil. But you should have stopped when only a few ounces came out and figured out what you are doing wrong. when something is wrong, you need to stop.

Germansheperd (08-17-2024)
Old 08-17-2024, 08:52 AM
Germansheperd
Road Warrior
Received 878 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
What do you mean? STP was like Bars Stop leak for oil in my 44G servicar.. Never put MMO in the motor oil but it's the best cylinder assy lube and air tool lube..
1- If you were using STP to slow a leak down you have a leak. I know you mentioned a 44G but in my stubborn mind I just fix the leak vs thickening us fluids hoping they slow down.
2- When I was using a blanket assembly lube vs a dedicated manufacturer specific spec Lubriplate 105 was hands down the best cylinder assembly lube not off the shelf snake oil.
3- I haven’t used air tools in years everything is battery but a couple of drops of anything at the end of the day in an air tool would suffice.
YMMV

Old 08-17-2024, 09:28 AM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,678 Likes on 2,720 Posts

Here's my thought on this. If you don't know, and don't have a manual, why not Google or YouTube it? I'd be willing to bet all this could have been avoided by being proactive.

Old 08-17-2024, 09:34 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,940 Likes on 4,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Germansheperd
1- If you were using STP to slow a leak down you have a leak. I know you mentioned a 44G but in my stubborn mind I just fix the leak vs thickening us fluids hoping they slow down.
2- When I was using a blanket assembly lube vs a dedicated manufacturer specific spec Lubriplate 105 was hands down the best cylinder assembly lube not off the shelf snake oil.
3- I haven’t used air tools in years everything is battery but a couple of drops of anything at the end of the day in an air tool would suffice.
YMMV

1. Too lazy at the time to pull the motor down back in the late 60s.
2. I'll take any thin oil over grease on cylinder assy.. Grease on rings? I think not..
3. Still have a few I like to use.. Die grinders, the small right angle makes a nice minidisc, air hammer. needle scaler. one small 4 inch disc sander, small handheld belt.. Like the smell ogg mmo.

djl (08-18-2024)
Old 08-17-2024, 03:39 PM
Muskrat21
Tourer
Received 316 Likes on 164 Posts

G'day Fellas.
The plot thickens. There was bugger all oil in the trany and too much in the pan. My mate said his son did an oil change for him a few months ago. I'd say he drained the trany and just filled the pan leaving just residual in the trany. The only thing that saved the trany was the Nulon Smooth Shift I put in the oil change before!!!

For phu(ks sake Rounders I did not take the hex drive engine sump plug out!

G'day Brakeless.
I downloaded the w/shop manual, I just read it wrong. As I said before, it was midnight after a hard days work (and a few beers).

G'day Dan.
I use top shelf oil. The Nulon or MBL8 reduces friction even more so idle screw needs backing off. The motor responds to throttle quicker and revs harder (and saved the trany).

G'day Max.
I didn't think of using STP in my old 51 BSA A7. I was using 40w70 oil as the main bush (timing side crank) had 8 thou clearance instead of 2 thou. Ran for a few years like that before I rebuilt it last year.
Cheers

Old 08-17-2024, 09:49 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

G

For phu(ks sake Rounders I did not take the hex drive engine sump plug out!

Cheers
So what plug did you pull that had only a few ounces of oil drain, and had you then sucking it out of the oil pan?

Old 08-17-2024, 09:52 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

G'day Fellas.
The plot thickens. There was bugger all oil in the trany and too much in the pan. My mate said his son did an oil change for him a few months ago. I'd say he drained the trany and just filled the pan leaving just residual in the trany. The only thing that saved the trany was the Nulon Smooth Shift I put in the oil change before!!!

Cheers
So he was riding the bike with just a chemical you added to the oil, but no fluid?

Also the son added 3.5 quarts of oil to the engine oil pan, and it did not overflow? It held 7 or 8 quarts of oil?

Quick Reply: TC88 oil change