Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

TC88 oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2024, 03:33 AM
Muskrat21
Tourer
Received 316 Likes on 164 Posts

G'day Rounders.
No I didn't start the motor at all (the spark plugs and oil I ordered hasn't arrived).
"That didn't work so you used vac pump.this tells me you should not work on anything." Been working on motors all my life, built quite a few speedway midget, 350 Chev sprint motors, full on Evo motors, my own State Champs winning BSA motors and now work in a shop doing anything from a whipper sniper to a tractor. We use a vac pump for ALL oil changes!
Yes I had a brain fart. How often do you!!!!
Cheers

The following 2 users liked this post by Muskrat21:
BlueridgeXL (08-29-2024), HarleyBob52 (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 07:44 AM
Germansheperd
Road Warrior
Received 878 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Muskrat21
G'day Germansheperd.
Thanks mate but it was a seniors moment as I'd done his oils about 2 years ago! I was having nightmares of having to drop the sump, thank phu(k I didn't. I just had the primary off to change out the stator.

Question. Does anyone here use friction modifiers in their motor/trans? I've been using Nulon E20 in all motors (that don't have a wet clutch) and Nulon Smooth Shift in trans/diff for over 40 years and swear by it https://www.nulon.com.au/. The boss at work (ex race car driver/mechanic) has put me onto MBL8 https://proma.global/products/mbl8-c...ive-250ml-9ddc . I recently tried it in my 1988 Softail and had to back the idle screw off half a turn!
Cheers
I don’t mean any disrespect but dealing with old guy’s that are stubborn/set in their ways and grew up in the STP/Rislone/Marvel Mystery Oil era:
1) Engine- approved 20w50 V-Twin oil
2) Primary- Formula+
3) Transmission- Gear oil
If you stick with these only and change on a regular interval you will never have an issue- There is no such thing as a “MECHANIC IN A BOTTLE”.

The following users liked this post:
KK0G (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 08:44 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,940 Likes on 4,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Germansheperd
I don’t mean any disrespect but dealing with old guy’s that are stubborn/set in their ways and grew up in the STP/Rislone/Marvel Mystery Oil era:
1) Engine- approved 20w50 V-Twin oil
2) Primary- Formula+
3) Transmission- Gear oil
If you stick with these only and change on a regular interval you will never have an issue- There is no such thing as a “MECHANIC IN A BOTTLE”.
What do you mean? STP was like Bars Stop leak for oil in my 44G servicar.. Never put MMO in the motor oil but it's the best cylinder assy lube and air tool lube..

Old 08-16-2024, 10:48 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,253 Likes on 1,784 Posts

G'day Rounders.
No I didn't start the motor at all (the spark plugs and oil I ordered hasn't arrived).
"That didn't work so you used vac pump.this tells me you should not work on anything." Been working on motors all my life, built quite a few speedway midget, 350 Chev sprint motors, full on Evo motors, my own State Champs winning BSA motors and now work in a shop doing anything from a whipper sniper to a tractor. We use a vac pump for ALL oil changes!
Yes I had a brain fart. How often do you!!!!
Cheers
All that wrench on you did,did you ever drain oil with a pump?

What I meant about starting engine dry is , you drained oil from crank. Normally if I had engine open I would dump oil in bottom end.

Probably fine metal is wet. If you have not started yet turning over with plugs out or rotating tire to operate pump .

I have done lots of stupid stuff. But draining oil with vac pump is not one of them.

Old 08-16-2024, 12:02 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rounders
All that wrench on you did,did you ever drain oil with a pump?

What I meant about starting engine dry is , you drained oil from crank. Normally if I had engine open I would dump oil in bottom end.

Probably fine metal is wet. If you have not started yet turning over with plugs out or rotating tire to operate pump .

I have done lots of stupid stuff. But draining oil with vac pump is not one of them.
No he didn't. Read the text. He used a vacuum device..

He didn't pull the top end.

What metal?

I'd say you pegged the meter on this one..

Muskrat21, ignore this guy..

djl (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 03:05 PM
Muskrat21
Tourer
Received 316 Likes on 164 Posts

G'day Germansheperd.
I guess I am stuck in my ways. Friction = heat, too much heat = wear / seizures. I don't see it as a "mechanic in a bottle" but as a way of reducing friction especially in an air cooled motor riding across the Nullabor.
I change my oils more frequently than the book says, it's the life blood of the motor and relatively cheap. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.
Cheers.

G'day Max.
Thanks mate.
Cheers

Old 08-16-2024, 08:48 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
No he didn't. Read the text. He used a vacuum device..

He didn't pull the top end.

What metal?

I'd say you pegged the meter on this one..

Muskrat21, ignore this guy..
You have had engines apart, right? Would you fire them up with no oil in bottom end, if you could help it?

Old 08-16-2024, 09:01 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

G'day Rounders.
. We use a vac pump for ALL oil changes!
Cheers
Maybe you use more advance techniques than me. But when oil doesn't come out when you take plug out, don't you think you should stop and find the right plug? Was the idea to never use the plug again? Not get the manual? Not look at engineer to see the tank and dipstick were no where near the plug, were separate bodies.

I am not faulting you for the wrong plug. I am faulting you for not stopping what you were doing and carrying on.

Germansheperd (08-17-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 09:47 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rounders
I never said pulled the engine apart. But when I do, I dump oil in bottom end. He drained the bottom end

The crank was not dry, it has residual oil, but was not as wet as it was before he drained the bottom end.

I think the guy is ____ for sucking oil out. He should have stopped. He should have said I bleebed up, should say you never drain oil like this.

The guy is not _____ for pulling wrong plug. But he is for not stopping. Plus the oil tank and dispstick are nowhere that plug

The guy needs to be told he is a dumb ___ so he stops. We need Red Foreman.

Man, You pegged the needle again.. Muskrat is doing OK, only made one simple mistake..

djl (08-18-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 09:50 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Man, You pegged the needle again.. Muskrat is doing OK, only made one simple mistake..
My opinion stands. When nothing came out. He should have stopped. He kept on his path by sucking out oil. He should have stopped and figured out what he did wrong.

Plus when he sucked out the oil, it didn't cross his mind how far the plug was from where he was sucking??

Quick Reply: TC88 oil change